GOOD NIGHT NURSE! -- FORT WORTH BIKE SALE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GOOD NIGHT NURSE! -- SALE OF ALL SALES

nwt76 said:
Did you guys see the Anti-Bike Sale add on craigslist yet :?: :?

Is this the advert?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bik/2638258211.html

I was actually of the assumption that the good stuff would have already been cherry picked, very selectively and ahead of time, as the ad alludes to....

Very interested to see what comes out of the sale.

seeing the exact frame that I need in some guys hand in one of those pictures just breaks my heart. I didnt realize the giant pool of drool all over my keyboard either. I really really wish I lived in texas just for this reason. "whats so great about dumb old texas" Patric Star... THIS IS WHAT PATRIC :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's funny is...most folks into old bikes look at those photos and think...I bet all the nice shiny ones are all gone.

The crowd from this forum is thinking...man..LOOK AT ALL THAT PATINA! :lol: :lol:

Rat Rodders have a clear advantage here. :wink:

Here's what the place looked like a year ago...LOL!

I guess they must have cleaned up the yard a little since then. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Screenshot2011-10-07at92353PM.png

Is anyone here going? If so, I'd be happy to send you a small list of parts I need. (a rim, a tank, etc). If you find them maybe we could negotiate a price and a finders fee. Not sure if they're selling any separate parts or just the complete bikes.

When we first walked in, the yard looked exactly like the pictures that advertised the sale.
I don't think the sale was cherry picked after the CL pictures were taken.

There were about 40-50 people when the gates opened, not the crowd that I expected.

The people running the sale controlled it very well, and it was very fair, no one could just rush in and buy up all the good stuff.
They only allowed you to buy 2 bikes at a time, so everyone had a chance to make their picks.

jerrykr said:
When we first walked in, the yard looked exactly like the pictures that advertised the sale.
I don't think the sale was cherry picked after the CL pictures were taken.

There were about 40-50 people when the gates opened, not the crowd that I expected.

The people running the sale controlled it very well, and it was very fair, no one could just rush in and buy up all the good stuff.
They only allowed you to buy 2 bikes at a time, so everyone had a chance to make their picks.
very cool 8)

Well, I was about 15 minutes late to the sale today so I didn't get to see the gates open. :roll:

Member "tuga" Marcos told me that there was only one person that really ran in to start grabbing bikes. Overall it was a very civil engagement. :lol:

I had to park way down at the end of the street, so after I carried the first two bikes back that I bought, I ended up moving up closer. It seemed like there were somewhere between 50-75 cars lined up and down the street. And there were lots of people streaming out of the place with a bike in each hand.

Jerry was right....Kevin Murphy (KevinM) and his crew did a great job of keeping things organized and running smooth. They had colored zip ties around the handlebars that told you what the prices were. All of the folks running the event had STAFF t-shirts on and there was also a group at a table up near the gate taking money. From what I could tell there seemed to be more $60 bikes than anything.

I ended up spending a total of $120 and brought home 4 bikes. It was just like on American Pickers....after about 10 minutes of standing there in the middle of all of these bikes you got JUNK DRUNK fast. You really had to focus and then think about values and stuff. There were also people milling around all over grabbing things so it was hard to concentrate. I knew I didn't want to get carried away so I only grabbed what caught my eye. I also have three daughters so I grabbed a couple of 20" project bikes for them. There were tons of middle weight 26" cruisers there, but for some reason nothing really jumped out at me and made me want to give up my cash for it.

I did talk to Kevin before I left and he said that later this afternoon once things died down they were going to auction off whatever was left to the highest bidder. He also said that the two large buildings on the property were filled with bikes still and those would be included in the big auction this afternoon. Kind of a bummer not being able to get in there and see what else he had. Overall it was a really fun event to attend and the guy certainly must have grabbed every old bike he ever came across. :lol:

So...here were the bikes I ended up picking up today...

A repainted 70s Schwinn Scrambler for $60.

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

A 70s Schwinn Sting-Ray Fair Lady for $20

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

A 60s Schwinn 20" Hollywood for $20

DSC_0014.jpg

And last but not least....

This beast...A 70s AMF Avenger 350 BMX Bike for $20

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Here are a couple of quick video clips I shot with my phone at about 10:00am.

The gates opened at 9:00 so by 10:00 a bunch of the stuff had already been bought up.

http://vimeo.com/30240222

http://vimeo.com/30240829

And for those wondering...the Wienermobile was still there when I left and they wanted $60 for it...I was tempted. :lol:

Hey, I missed you Steve, I was the only one wearing a RRB t-shirt that I saw there.
I did see Charles, Nolan and his wife, and a couple of other people I know.

I got there about 8:15 and before 9 we all drew a number out of a hat and lined up along the fence in that order to get in.
Worked great, nobody rushed the gate, there was plenty of time, and plenty to choose from.
Of course I didn't have any one bike in mind that I wanted.

Here's a pic of my buys from today. :mrgreen:
There's better pics in fresh finds
Never had a red bike now I've got 5 Schwinn is red under the black paint :p
100_0988.jpg

Right before I was getting ready to leave a guy managed to pull a nice ice cream vendor bike out of the weeds.

Not sure what he paid for it, but it seemed to be in surprisingly good shape considering it was covered in vines.

It looked kind of like this one, but the bike was more like a mountain bike...

BikeVendor4c.jpg

Waiting to get in, I drew "42" but went back in line to talk to a guy I knew. There was no hurry.

Waiting.jpg

Charles was in front of me. Great to see you my friend!

Charles.jpg

Not my haul, but a fairly common sight.

truckload.jpg

My Haul. CWC RoadMaster, and a Western Flyer. I bought rust! (Patina). :D

myhaul.jpg

Back at home, the CWC. Skip tooth, ND hubs fore and aft, no dents in the fenders, the chain still moves!

CWC.jpg

The Western Flyer. ND hubs.

westernflyer2.jpg

westernflyer1.jpg

Parts: I scored 2 skip tooth chain rings with dog leg cranks, a basket of rim strips, and a pair of BMX pedals.
And a really clean skip tooth chain. That's where I ran out of $$$, :( stuff was very well priced!

parts.jpg

Are these pedals anything? I don't know much about BMX stuff.

wellgo.jpg

Great experience!

wheels.jpg

My 3 red bikes are columbia built 2 of them have viking headbadges 8)
The springer has regular columbia badge.
You did get some "patina" Jerry. Nice Haul :wink:

Yeah...nice scores Jerry...love the paint on that Western Flyer. :D

Sale was pretty good, there was something for everyone. Went there mainly as a looker but was lucky to get me a future klunker for $100 bucks, I even helped Steve spend his money :mrgreen:

Dsc_1020.jpg

Dsc_1018.jpg

Dsc_1019.jpg

Latest posts

Back