Guess what I traded my 74 Super Beetle Convertible for?............

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sweet car!!!
those fluid shift pushbuttons are hit or miss.
if you got a good working one their very valuable.
but they did not make it because they would go out easily.
still a sweet car if i had 9 grand it would be in my driveway lol.
im a fan of the old vws but man you did very well.
sean

My friend bought one of these at an auction in Chicago in 1971. It would cruise well all day at just below 120 mph, but start to shake above that. We took it for a trip to Detroit, most of the way at 118. It had a 421 or 426 engine, can't remember which. Just before he sold it we went for a back country ride. He wanted to go 150 mph but only got it to 140. I was scared witless. The car was indeed a tank, on a corner at about 140 we went over railroad tracks and the car started drifting toward the guard rails. He still had his foot in the carburetor when part of the headliner got sucked out the window, which made him come to and slow down. How stupid, cheap bias ply tires were probably ready to fly off the car. The car was fast in a straight line but did not want to go around corners, especially when accelerating. It would jump when he punched it and you would get tossed back in your seat. It would burn rubber and go sideways, probably until the tires burned off. He then sold it before he killed himself with it. Scares me even to write about it. Yours should go 120 mph easily.
that's amusclecar for you they will move down the straightaways but forget cornering with them

You can corner an old muscle car it just takes some finesse on the wheel and throttle. Swing the back end out by steering away from the corner then hard into it shifting the weight if it goes too far use a bit of opposite lock, feather the gas pedal, and when the angle is right and it's pointing straight in the direction you want to turn grab another gear steer it in, and lay rubber like a boss.

Back