Harlequin T - FINI (or not)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any plans to cap that rear stear and/or seat tube? Most Mexican pesos have enough steel in them to weld, might look kinda cool add to the vibe and give you some on hand burrito money to boot.

Any plans to cap that rear stear and/or seat tube? Most Mexican pesos have enough steel in them to weld, might look kinda cool add to the vibe and give you some on hand burrito money to boot.

Hey, that's my thing! Joking, of course. My build will probably have coins hiding a couple of holes.

I have gone back and forth a couple of times as to whether or not to have a kickstand. Still not sure.

I may yet plate that triangle made by the seat stays. I believe I'll be adding a cool backrest made from an old wire rear rack. The few open tubes may get some old glass shooter marbles epoxied in. No coins there, although I do have a carwash token that may go into the steering wheel hub. It's awesome, it says "No Cash Value" haha & lol.
Hey, that's my thing! Joking, of course. My build will probably have coins hiding a couple of holes.
I have gone back and forth a couple of times as to whether or not to have a kickstand. Still not sure.
The kickstand is slick, I'm not a lay my bike down guy and she sits too high to balance on a pedal. I actually saw one very close to it a couple years ago at a Chicago TailDragger bike show. I should've got some pictures. That cats burrito was cool. He had a drop light on a cord plugged into a battery pack for his headlight and a little vise welded to an old stem to hold his handle bars. He came down outta Michigan...

Guitarl.

Any thoughts on my chain guard?
KIMG0436.JPG

I'm thinking of shortening it to where the fin ends where the cantilever tubes dip down. The guard will still keep the chain off my leg at the sprocket, but won't break up the frames lines that way.

Guitarl.

View attachment 44848
I'm thinking of shortening it to where the fin ends where the cantilever tubes dip down. The guard will still keep the chain off my leg at the sprocket, but won't break up the frames lines that way.

Guitarl.

I see what you're saying about flow, but I can't see chopping down this cool long chain guard when so often people try to stretch the ones they have longer for builds. Maybe try a regular 26" chain guard in its place, and hang onto this one?

I think shortening it would add flow. Was liking the bright color on it.
Haha! Great minds I was thinking of redoing the fade with a brighter red metalflake.
I see what you're saying about flow, but I can't see chopping down this cool long chain guard when so often people try to stretch the ones they have longer for builds. Maybe try a regular 26" chain guard in its place, and hang onto this one?
I do have a classic Higgins guard that looks like the front end of a streamline passenger engine. That one might need a bit added to it and it's not original.
How about a pair of idler gears to get the chain to follow the frame and then cut the guard to follow it too?

Guitarl.

The problem I see with the Higgins is the rear connection. It's out in the middle of nowhere. I'll need a big bracket to get to it... hmm, fab a bracket that looks like a fin...
KIMG0439.JPG

Guitarl.

I wonder if you should have a
Chain roller wheel in the middle of the chain being its so long .it will help keep it tight . Maybe you can incorporate it with a chain guard bracket .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoaaaa man is that a Lowe rider , or a XL Brito ? I got the munchies & I think my mind is playing tricks on me ....
01dac853c4bc59dad4ca48bc5b70e70d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 44848

Guitarl.
You wanted 'different', right? How 'bout this:
Chop the frame between where your seat is now and the stoker seat post. Mount your saddle flush in the stoker post, it won't be that much higher, but it will prob clear your belly for better steering wheel position.

And your chain guard will nearly reach the rear hub, you can run a vertical mount from the chain stay up to hold it in place.

You will eliminate that extra downward swoop, the canti tubes should end right about where the chain guard passes the seat tube.

Oh, and one more thing. Your one long piece of chain will probably span the distance now, since you were short about a foot or so.

Whew! Ok...I'm NOT going to :eek: shorten my frame lol. Not gonna chop up that long guard either, thanks @deven_science for clearing my head on that one :blackeye:
I was holding the Higgins guard for just the right build and it looks like this is the one. Putting the tensioner in with the bracket is a good idea. But I'd really like the tensioner on the lower half of the chain, to lift it off the chain stay. It's so close now, it'll probably rub on the bumps.

Guitarl. [emoji450]

Last edited:
KIMG0440.JPG

Back rest needs better stay clamps but that's an easy fix.
KIMG0441.JPG

I don't really like the tensioner. It was a passing idea that I had to try but it'll be changed soon. Good news is the steering wheel sits where I want it to and fits me. Next is some 5/8ths bearings and bushings. Tie rod should be here any day.

Guitarl. [emoji450]

I like the backrest.
I hadn't considered needing a chain tensioner, might have to get a chain on my build soon to check that out.
Mine will pedal fine without it. Mostly because it'd be pretty hard to stand up and crank on it and I think the weight of the chain itself lends it to go in a straight line.

Guitarl. [emoji450]

Ditto on the back rest @Falstaff ! Carl, I have to admit, this looks better than I thought it would with the steering wheel. I still want to see you sitting in the saddle though...:nod:...it's hard for me to picture a full-sized man in that configuration.

Ditto on the back rest @Falstaff ! Carl, I have to admit, this looks better than I thought it would with the steering wheel. I still want to see you sitting in the saddle though...:nod:...it's hard for me to picture a full-sized man in that configuration.
Haha! First ya gotta lean back against the rest. Then put yer feet up...Oh yeah, it's just like a lazyboy. I can actually sit on it with the kickstand down. I'll see if I can get a pic tomorrow.

Guitarl. [emoji450]

Back