Harlequin T - FINI (or not)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next part on order...
leonrusselhat.jpg

Mooneyes has some these cool chrome bullet horn buttons.
s-l225.jpg

I had one on the white octagonal steering wheel I had on my 63 Ford Falcon when I got married almost 15 years ago. Man I miss that car, flat black, lowered, 4 door with shaved rear handles and side trim, green Mexican blanket interior, green and white pinstriping, "Just Falcon Around" across the back. 170 inline 6, 30 mpg with a 2 barrel carb. This bike reminds me a lot of it, too cool man.

Sorry, I got lost in nostalgia, Wirth automotive, they sell a ton of old school car stuff has just the chrome bullets, if you don't want to try and figure out a horn button and just want a cool center cap, you might want to check them out.

Sorry, I got lost in nostalgia, With automotive, they sell a ton of old school car stuff has just the chrome bullets, if you don't want to try and figure out a horn button and just want a cool center cap, you might want to check them out.
No brother, all good. Auto nostalgia is in my head too. I had a bunch of cool cars from the 60's and 70's, 2 each of Chargers and Mustangs, a Datsun 280z and an Alfa Spyder. Had a 66' Impala and a 70' Firebird. Had a VW wagon, an AMC Hornet, and a PT Cruiser. 5 Vans, 2 Dakotas, a GMC Jimmy 4x4, and I'm on my 3rd and 4th Ranger now lol there's a few others too! Like a raggedy Cougar and a trio of old Ford LTD/Galaxies...

So I knew I wanted an old wheel from the late 60's early 70's, and the one I found has all it's parts I just need a horn to wire in...
more parts :headbang:

Guitarl.

The second pack of chain arrived and... it's still too short. :arghh: So I added a little over a foot to the silver and black z410 from some blue and silver z410 I had stashed.
KIMG0428.JPG

I modded the seat clamp to allow it to slide forward so I can reach the pedals comfortably. But now I got a feeling my belly is gonna be crowding the steering wheel, if I mount it in the best place visually at the same angle all the tubes run...
Don't know why I always gotta do things the hard way.

Carl.

Wow Guitarl, she's a work of art, there is a lot going on with that frame,
does she flex much, reminds me a bit of the Sydney Harbour bridge!
Well back when it was a tandem there was unbelievable flex when two adults took it out. I don't think they planned on 200+ pounds each, when they designed this thing. But it never broke and it feels good now with just me on it. I tell you what, we've had this thing flying as a tandem. It was a scary fast single speed coaster.

Guitarl.

sent from a banana phone...

Carl, I'm a little late to the party...forgive me.

Killer work on the frame, and I love the overall feel of the build.

One suggestion, have you thought of busting a multi-gear cassette apart and putting a cog on both the steering wheel and the head tube and using a chain to steer with?

Carl, I'm a little late to the party...forgive me.

Killer work on the frame, and I love the overall feel of the build.

One suggestion, have you thought of busting a multi-gear cassette apart and putting a cog on both the steering wheel and the head tube and using a chain to steer with?
No problem b4C, I was originally looking at "Colson" style steering and it's not totally off the board now, but I have ordered a couple parts to see if I can fab up a steering system with 3/8th tie rod with threaded swivel ends which I think will give me more adjustment...
I'm just glad we've got two months left!

Guitarl.

I like the way she sits. Just a thought, any plan for the two old BB tubes? Maybe pegs through the front one for those long winding downhills you have in central Illinois ? :21: *insert geography joke here*

Toying with the idea of some Blue-Ray speakers o_O
Which brings up the idea/need for a USB charging system from a generator, if I have the time/tokens. May end up being stuffed with reflectors at the last minute.

Guitarl.

Now I'm wondering if you can use and old headlight generator to connect to a USB.
Probably not, but it'd be cool.
Not straight to it, but there are ways :39: and I've seen and could probably pc board an interface. Still probably want to be able to connect to a standard USB charger. Just to fully charge the batteries up sometimes.

Guitarl.

Here's a link to a list of hub dynamo USB chargers.
All pretty pricey and a rim genny might not put out enough to push one... plenty of schematics out there too and if a guy can solder, he could build the charger way cheaper. Could most likely tweek a circuit to like a rim generator too. I guess I've got another research project.

Guitarl.

I like the way she sits. Just a thought, any plan for the two old BB tubes? Maybe pegs through the front one for those long winding downhills you have in central Illinois ? :21: *insert geography joke here*
Ha! I'd have to go to an expressway overpass to find a hill around here. I'm actually only 60 miles south of Chicago. Which is cool for concerts, sports, and TailDragger events!

Carl.

Last edited:
Here's a link to a list of hub dynamo USB chargers.
All pretty pricey and a rim genny might not put out enough to push one... plenty of schematics out there too and if a guy can solder, he could build the charger way cheaper. Could most likely tweek a circuit to like a rim generator too. I guess I've got another research project.

Guitarl.
My bluetooth speaker runs for about 7-8 hrs on a charge. I would just go with a standard USB charging port integrated to the frame. Love the speaker idea.
Fan blades from a small portable fan that would spin with the air moving past while riding, mounts for exhaust type pipes, and hidden compartments for money, etc were ideas I had .....but it's your bike. Speaker idea is way cooler!

I found my chain guard.
KIMG0436.JPG

at 44 inches it could be another 16 inches longer but it's original to the bike, and that fits in with the west coast burrito rules. I may splice a piece in, but I'm not sure I like interrupting the frames flow with the way it dips below the guard, so I actually may shorten it.
KIMG0435.JPG

Bent a little kickstand today. No more 2x4's (but that breaks the aforementioned rules)
I also have 3 1/2 inches of clearance, so no scratching the road either.
KIMG0434.JPG

Steering column came today too...
I'm still brainstorming the mount.

Guitarl.

Last edited:
Back