Heavyweight build "FATBOB" CHANGES!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Single sided stay/forks '59 Cadillac inspired heavy weight.

sensor said:
Really like this one. Looks really mean with the fat rectangular tubing and low/wide stance.
Thanks Sensor! Glad you guys are liking it!

Peatbog, that is an awesome photo!

Well, we had a nice day today with no fire bans so actually got some work done! Got the tank mounted, not finish mounted, still have to clean up the strap ends and align the rubbers better, but enought to show you what I am up to. Remember I said it might surprise you a little? Well, here it is...

DSC00160 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Planning to weld some spacers on the straps to a plate mounted each side of the tank with the Cadillac badges on them... Now you are probably wondering why I would want a large airtank on my bike? Well I am not going air suspension, but I am looking for one of these...

AH0201_2 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

I know it has been done before, but I love the idea and didn't really want a big tank (And lets face it, it had to be big to look right on this bike) that didn't really have a purpose. Already picked up a fire extinguisher valve to activate it. :mrgreen:

You can see in the photo that I also started on the headlight rust repairs, they were a little more extensive than I thought, but it will get there eventually...

This photo is what happens why a fly lands on your lens just as you push the shutter button... :D

DSC00158 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Weather looks good for the next few days, and it doesn't look like there will be any fire bans for a day or two either! So onwards with the seat and fork/headstem... :D

Let me know what you think of the tank/air horn idea...

Luke.

Re: Single sided stay/forks '59 Cadillac inspired heavy weight.

I just realised that the tank may look a little out of place to some... It looks better if you imagine it satin black, the straps gloss black the frame also satin black and the chrome Cadillac badges to break the black up a little. Plus the chrome airhorn underneath the tank mounting bar...

Luke.

Re: Single sided stay/forks '59 Cadillac bike. TANK INSTALLED!

LOVE it! I always like bikes that make me look normal size. Might I make a suggestion?...A saddle bag, nice leather of course, to be filled with disposable diapers...As you roll up on someone, and blast that horn, just reach over and toss one out.

This photo is what happens why a fly lands on your lens just as you push the shutter button... :D

Hmmm,looks like an x-rated pic. What's on it, besides your build? :wink:

KOTA said:
LOVE it! I always like bikes that make me look normal size. Might I make a suggestion?...A saddle bag, nice leather of course, to be filled with disposable diapers...As you roll up on someone, and blast that horn, just reach over and toss one out.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BRILLIANT!

I am actually thinking of fitting a small metal toolbox under the seat on the non drive side, might store some in there just for laughs!

I can see from your bikes you must be a tall guy, how tall are you? 6 foot 5 inch's myself...

Hey Wimpy, didn't you fit an air horn to your LOWLIFE LIMO build at one point and then switch to a electric? Can I ask what went wront with the airhorn?

Luke.

Not so much the "height", Luke....6ft tall, 265lbs (120.2kg)..It's ALL muscle..Well maybe SOME of it..Okay just a LITTLE.....So, a 60yr. old, over weight bald man with a LITTLE muscle, likes your bike. Hope you're happy. :lol:

Not quite sure what to say to that... :lol:

So will you be building a 29-32-36inch stretch next?

When riding my extra large frame 26inch mountain bike I look like a grown up idiot on a bmx... Going to have to at least go to 29 if I want to ride a mountain bike again, think I will stick to stretch cruisers and burritos... Got some 27inch wheels and guards put aside for an upcoming burrito build. :mrgreen:

Luke.

Man that tank is the BOMB! Literaly. It looks like a bomb. You need to paint it up like an old WWII bomb.

Hey Wimpy, didn't you fit an air horn to your LOWLIFE LIMO build at one point and then switch to a electric? Can I ask what went wront with the airhorn?

Yeah,well,the airhorn turned out to be a less succesful idea. In other words: it didn't work,the way it should be.
Then I switched to an electric carhorn an that worked much better,if it wasn't for the bad battery. I got it for free,'cause it was an old
backup-battery from a burglaralarmsystem. Quite good specs (12V/7Ah),but it proved to be nearly dead.
So maybe in the near future,I'll give it another shot.
Cruisin' is a bit low at the moment,because of the heaps of work that I've got. :cry:

Wimpy, I think in your build thread you were running out of money as to a lack of work, now you have too much work... You seem to like the extremes!

kingfish254 said:
Man that tank is the BOMB! Literaly. It looks like a bomb. You need to paint it up like an old WWII bomb.
Not sure if this is quite what you meant, but it does look good! Not too keen on weapons of mass destruction myself...

DSC00160 shark tank by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Wimpy, I think in your build thread you were running out of money as to a lack of work, now you have too much work... You seem to like the extremes!

kingfish254 said:
Not sure if this is quite what you meant, but it does look good!

DSC00160 shark tank by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

:D Luke.

About the first remark: you're quite right. After hanging on my couch for 6 months (with no money), I got lucky to get a job from an employment agency at 3 different companies (at the Rotterdam Container Port). Mainly late-shifts and weekendshifts, so there's
limited sparetime nowadays. But it's living from day to day and that's something I don't really like.

Looking at your tank,I think it's a cool idea. Looks good and indeed you can give it a cool paintjob. It's "da bomb",like kingfish said. 8)
Btw,if you need pics from WW2 bombs,I've got plenty. :mrgreen:

You might need to start working out your legs at the gym before you get this beast finished!

I'd consider using an alloy handle bar (to save weight). :mrgreen:

The Renaissance Man said:
You might need to start working out your legs at the gym before you get this beast finished!

#1: If the bike is heavy, you need more than just a single-speed. :mrgreen:
#2: Once you're rolling, its weight is an advantage (unless you live in an area with lots of hills).
#3: The more you ride, the better your muscles become.

wimpy said:

Once you're rolling, its weight is an advantage (unless you live in an area with lots of hills).

Unless of course, you need to umm...STOP!

wimpy said:

Once you're rolling, its weight is an advantage (unless you live in an area with lots of hills).

Unless of course, you need to umm...STOP!
Just wanted to see what a quote inside a quote inside a quote would look like... :mrgreen:

By the way, 5 speed gear cluster fitted, live on dead flat farming land and will now be fitting an extra disc brake to the front wheel as I am ending up with too many "suicide" levers, so have decided to put the brakes on the bars... Getting going again will be hard I admit, but I am thinking maybe 60 p.s.i. in the tires will help with that!

I would go alloy bars but I don't know anyone who makes 2 foot ape hangers out of alloy... :D (Plus want to design my own anyway! :wink:

Luke.

If you hate levers on your bike (bars), maybe try to attach the front-brakecable to a gashandle of a motorcycle/moped. Then it's just "twist and stop". That's what I did and it works fine,except for the fact that my bike is too heavy for normal bikebrakes. So there's no screaming tyres when I brake. I should have used a diskbrake instead. :roll:

Back