Hello from sunny Minnesota

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been into riding bikes ever since I was a kid, but a combination of moving around for college and grad school and some back and wrist problems (all I had was my early '00s Schwinn MTB at that point) got me out of the biking habit and out of shape. Then I picked up a 3-speed Schwinn Speedster a couple years ago, tore it down, painted, and built it back up and really got into that side of bikes too. After that, we moved to St. Paul, MN, which is a much more bike-friendly locale than previously, so I've been riding a lot more and acquiring more bikes. I got a Schwinn Suburban 10-speed to be my beater/trailer-towing bike and that's been a great bike, so at this point I really love the Chicago Schwinns. Earlier this year, as the snow was melting, my thoughts turned to getting another bike. I decided that what was missing from my lineup was a cruiser, so I started looking at Craigslist. I found this site as I was researching the different bikes I was seeing and have been amazed at the care and creativity that go into all the builds. I eventually found a great deal on a Nirve Mooneyes cruiser and that's been my main bike this summer. So far all I've done with it is slapped some apes on it and jury-rigged a set-back seatpost and I love just cruising the lake on it and watching the heads turn. I'm planning on some sort of custom banana-ish seat for it so my daughter can ride on it with me rather than in the trailer, so I'll probably start a forum thread on that once I getting going.

Welcome from a fellow Minnesotan! Glad you found this webiste and are stoked for building up bikes.
What lake are you riding around in St. Paul? I'm over by Minnehaha Falls.
Looking forward to seeing what your putting together...

Lake Como is my cruising location of choice. I'm really happy since they're putting in a bike/ped bridge over the train tracks at Lexington, just a few blocks from my home which will tie into the Como Park trail system.

I haven't spent much time on the Minneapolis trails, but they're gorgeous.

Como Lake is awesome! I grew up in Como Park and rode many times around the lake.
Got to the point were I could ride around it no handed with my 1 speed Schwinn Racer :lol:
Also met my wife there (many years later). Great to here the are putting in a bike/ped bridge

PM me some time if you want to ride together. I'll shoot over for old times sake. :D

Hey, I'd like to do that. We've got 2-month-old twins right now, so most of my rides are spur-of-the-moment when both babies are asleep or something, but I bet we can find a time in the next couple weeks.

Congratulations! Minnesota Twins! (bet you haven't heard that one yet :lol: )
Can understand your busy schedule :shock: PM me when you have some time
Bet you can't wait to start building wagons, trikes and bikes for them :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49680

There is a nice ride coming up if you do have some time
MN Antique and Classic Bike Ride Sept 23 1pm Boom Island
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46356

My wife and I will be there. I'm bringing Jacked Up Pilot
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=60927

Back