HiaWhatThe? might have to call her done,not sure yet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: HiaWhatThe? update-painted NOS delta light,surprise inside)

Got the painted sprocket & headlight reinstalled.The paint layed down great but the chrome trim piece moved a wee bit and scuffed up the edge so I had to brush touch up along the trim edge.Got the headbadge on and painted the wheel nuts.Chrome button covers the chainguard screw.

hiawathadetails001.jpg

hiawathadetails002.jpg

I totally want credit for all of your ideas!!!! :shock: 8)
It makes me look smarter!

man this thing is looking goooood.

kingfish254 said:
I totally want credit for all of your ideas!!!! :shock: 8)
It makes me look smarter!

Good! Then I get to blame you for not forseeing that schwinn diamond edge cranks wont clear the chainguard.Now Im in the middle of a crank swap!! Glad I caught your mistake before it scratched the guard.

LOL :shock:

Re: HiaWhatThe? update-crank swap (kingfish's fault lol)

Once again--ALL KINGFISH'S FAULT!!!hehe

Here are the cranks I found to replace the others.Must be off a pre/postwar columbia or monark as they were in a box of parts I got with those brand of frames.Cool fancy bearing assembly on them.Cleaned them up and shot them silver with clearcoat.
I got the chainguard later in the build so unfortunately I wasnt prepared for my cranks not to work lol.
hiawathacrankswap001.jpg

Hey! Fine by me - I love dogleg cranks. Don't know what it is exactly - maybe it's that they not only look cool with the offset but every tiny bit of the exposed surface is finished. Takes me back to the days of inexpensive labor and total pride in workmanship. I guess I just figured out why I like them so much - Good Choice! Robert

Sorry, I will gladly take all of the good credit, but I can't take the bad rap for this one. I actually had posted earlier on the BO7 Discussion board how I do all of my fitting and fab work before I do any paint. Ah, maybe you read that and it helped prevent you from turning the crank and messing up your guard paint job. So, maybe I do get credit for helping you discover a small design choice issue before it caused any major damage and headaches. So yes, it is my fault that you ended up with a better design.

Man, I am good!!! You can thank me with a vote later. :p :D

kingfish254 said:
Sorry, I will gladly take all of the good credit, but I can't take the bad rap for this one. I actually had posted earlier on the BO7 Discussion board how I do all of my fitting and fab work before I do any paint. Ah, maybe you read that and it helped prevent you from turning the crank and messing up your guard paint job. So, maybe I do get credit for helping you discover a small design choice issue before it caused any major damage and headaches. So yes, it is my fault that you ended up with a better design.

Man, I am good!!! You can thank me with a vote later. :p :D
Yes I saw what you wrote,but in my defense I got the guard later as stated above and did not hit the guard luckily,wew LOL.
I shoulda known this guard would stick out much farther than the cheapo I was going to use.

Anyhoo--as long as I have you to blame its all good!! haha :lol:

Those are some NICE details! 8) 8)

Road Master said:
Hey! Fine by me - I love dogleg cranks. Don't know what it is exactly - maybe it's that they not only look cool with the offset but every tiny bit of the exposed surface is finished. Takes me back to the days of inexpensive labor and total pride in workmanship. I guess I just figured out why I like them so much - Good Choice! Robert

Even though the chrome was long gone and I had to paint/clear them, I like the doglegs better myself also.

Re: HiaWhatThe? update-light ,guard & tank back on

Beautiful bike.
Kenny

How do you feel about bare metal? Instead of painting my "chrome loss" parts I soak them in white vinegar to eat off any rust, dry them immediately w/ compressed air and then actually buff the bare metal w/ a dremel tool and wire brush attachment. It shines the bare metal right up and then immediately clear coat the parts to keep them that way and prevent rusting. I love the look of clean bare metal - that's what I will be doing with my rusty dogleg and sprocket in this buildoff. I did the same thing with a LOT of my bare metal parts on my RRBBO5 build. Just another option. Robert

NICE NICE NICE!!! :shock: :shock:

Road Master said:
How do you feel about bare metal? Instead of painting my "chrome loss" parts I soak them in white vinegar to eat off any rust, dry them immediately w/ compressed air and then actually buff the bare metal w/ a dremel tool and wire brush attachment. It shines the bare metal right up and then immediately clear coat the parts to keep them that way and prevent rusting. I love the look of clean bare metal - that's what I will be doing with my rusty dogleg and sprocket in this buildoff. I did the same thing with a LOT of my bare metal parts on my RRBBO5 build. Just another option. Robert
Not a bad idea but I wanted some contrast so I painted & cleared the cranks.I did a similiar treatment to yours on the frame and fork.

Looking great, I am glad I thought of changing the crank. Oh, wait a minute, that was your idea wasn't it!?????

This build is looking great!!!!

Seriously looking Great....
I think the Dogleg cranks are perfect, they give the sense of motion similar to the stripes on the Tank and Guard ....
And I was quite pleased with your front light.... I wondered what color you'd do on it ...
More Red ? Staying White ? The Black is Perfect ..... It ties into the black of the tires and Crank, providing balance...
Looks Flipping Way Cool ....

Back