HiaWhatThe? might have to call her done,not sure yet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: HiaWhatThe? update-to signal or not to signal

kingfish254 said:
I have a set of those turn signals too, and just haven't had the right build for them yet.
Maybe if you split them in half in a cool way, you could make them work.
I think Pooroldu is on the idea I had in mind,the small ones are so small they will tuck under the seat and take two AA batteries so I could also tuck a switch under the seat maybe??

Turn signals would be cool, but you have to make sure they don't look BULKY :wink:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Turn signals would be cool, but you have to make sure they don't look BULKY :wink:
No doubt man,your right for sure.Hopefully the small set will work.It looks like there is a small area under/behind the seat that is about perfect.

She's looking really nice - did you gloss the chain guard or polish it or what? In that last pic it looks like it has a deep shine. Were you able to deal with the front bracket situation easily? I agree with you about the looks of a CWC Bumper Style Springer from the front. I chose to use one on my build for the same reason. I have period correct tubular versions but they don't have the same effect with the straight struts. I got my oil tank built but I'm pulling my hair out trying to reform the clamps to mount it - messed around with it yesterday for a couple hours in the 90s heat and got frustrated so I pulled off it and of course today it's raining. You've still got 2 months left and you seem to be in pretty good shape so that gives you a lot of time for the "extras" which can put a standard build into another class. This is my favorite CWC Build - I'm rootin' for ya. Have Fun! Robert

Road Master said:
She's looking really nice - did you gloss the chain guard or polish it or what? In that last pic it looks like it has a deep shine. Were you able to deal with the front bracket situation easily? I agree with you about the looks of a CWC Bumper Style Springer from the front. I chose to use one on my build for the same reason. I have period correct tubular versions but they don't have the same effect with the straight struts. I got my oil tank built but I'm pulling my hair out trying to reform the clamps to mount it - messed around with it yesterday for a couple hours in the 90s heat and got frustrated so I pulled off it and of course today it's raining. You've still got 2 months left and you seem to be in pretty good shape so that gives you a lot of time for the "extras" which can put a standard build into another class. This is my favorite CWC Build - I'm rootin' for ya. Have Fun! Robert

Sanded the guard with 600grit then hit it mildly on the buffer wheel.Used clear 2 stage epoxy to repair the guard,just applied the epoxy and clamped it,holds like a champ and you cant see the repair.
Dont worry youll get your oil tank sorted out,I have faith in ya!!!

You can't buy 600 gritt anything at Wally World - Car Parts Store? The finish on the guard came out really well. I didn't think of epoxy - I was wondering if there was a way to reattach it w/ heat and not mess up the front but you figured that one out. When I was a kid epoxy was kick butt stuff but as time went on it seems like the epoxy I bought in generic stores just didn't hold as well as the old stuff. Is there a particular brand or type you use that is considered high quality or did you just use any old thing? These buildoffs always end up testing our improvisational skills. Have Fun! Robert

Road Master said:
You can't buy 600 gritt anything at Wally World - Car Parts Store? The finish on the guard came out really well. I didn't think of epoxy - I was wondering if there was a way to reattach it w/ heat and not mess up the front but you figured that one out. When I was a kid epoxy was kick butt stuff but as time went on it seems like the epoxy I bought in generic stores just didn't hold as well as the old stuff. Is there a particular brand or type you use that is considered high quality or did you just use any old thing? These buildoffs always end up testing our improvisational skills. Have Fun! Robert

Got the 600grit at a Farm store.I got some pics of the 2 stage epoxy,its either from Farm&Home or Napa,I use it on alot of stuff and its brutal.

One of the best tips I can offer is using this to repair small rust holes on tanks or anything that you can access both sides of.

To fill pinholes all over the painted area of HiaWhatThe's tank I applied low adhesion (blue) masking tape on the front and filled the area from behind with epoxy.The epoxy flows well and fills the area flush on the other side and wont crack out like filler might on a flexible tank.Peel the tape and voila!! a flush primer surface,its sandable,then paint her up.

epoxy001.jpg

epoxy002.jpg

Road Master said:
An Epoxy that is Sandable and Paintable - what will they think of next? I'm used to working with Silicone - you can't do anything with it. Thanks for the tips - I've already filed them. Robert
Like you Ive used silicone for tons of stuff but this stuff is a far cry from silicone,it cures rock hard,slam it with hammer and it will laugh at you lol.To make metal hold of course you have to (tooth it up) aka scuff it with sandpaper.

To all you Bunny fanatics out there,,,CC the CupKitten says "BRING IT ON,I EAT WABBITS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...yes my Kitten loves to sleep in a cup.seriously lol
cupcat001.jpg

Homie dont play the bunny card

Xcruiser said:
One of the best tips I can offer is using this to repair small rust holes on tanks or anything that you can access both sides of.

To fill pinholes all over the painted area of HiaWhatThe's tank I applied low adhesion (blue) masking tape on the front and filled the area from behind with epoxy.The epoxy flows well and fills the area flush on the other side and wont crack out like filler might on a flexible tank.Peel the tape and voila!! a flush primer surface,its sandable,then paint her up.

Great idea!

Xcruiser said:
Got some interesting stuff in a bucket today,might see if I can sneak some turn signals into the build.Gotta figure out how to do it without making it gaudie.The small set has promise.

Xcruiser said:
SCHWINNRAY69 said:
No doubt man,your right for sure.Hopefully the small set will work.It looks like there is a small area under/behind the seat that is about perfect.

I agree

If you are just a tiny bit like me then just for experimental purposes you put a top on that cup at least once didn't you? :wink:

yoothgeye said:
If you are just a tiny bit like me then just for experimental purposes you put a top on that cup at least once didn't you? :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ..good stuff right there! (of course he didn't......)

Critter1 said:
yoothgeye said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ..good stuff right there! (of course he didn't......)
Nah I didnt,the authorities frown on that Im pretty sure lol.Of course CC woulda just slept through it anyway.He's asleep more than hes awake.

Got the 10$ mini LED lights in today.Did a test by running only two bulbs into the exhaust pipes and the results are good.They show up in the light as well as the day.Once I get them wrapped and bundled into the exhaust they should really glow bigtime!

in the dark
hiawathalights001.jpg

in the light
hiawathalights002.jpg

whole unit
hiawathalights003.jpg

small 3AA battery box,should mount nice and clean on the kickstand bracket.
hiawathalights004.jpg

Re: HiaWhatThe? update-test ride,outdoor pic,exhaust pipe lights

largek9 said:
Man that looks great! That should be the cover shot for anything to do with Craftsmanship and the Bicycle hobby ! What a beaut. 8) :)

I changed my mind ! You get the covershot and the centerfold ! 8) Super nice.

Re: HiaWhatThe? update-LED exhaust lights test

Road Master said:
I showed that Kitty in the Kup Pic to my roomie and she swears you stuffed that poor kitten in that cup because the cat wouldn't be able to get in there by itself - we need a video! I believe you...
Maybe I shoulda called it kitty in a tupperware jar???? But that sounds dumb so Kitty in a cup has a ring to it lol.Its bigger than a cup by far.

Back