Homemade triple tree springer fork.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sorting through bikes and parts yesterday and afterwards I brought some parts inside and decided to see if I could make my own triple tree springer forks and so far this is the result. I'll be upgrading the fasteners at the pivot points once I figure out exactly what I need. Still have to track down the other "rocker", it's in a bin somewhere around here. And make a connecting bracket for the spring cage.
The triple tree are from a Schwinn stingray chopper Jr. The springs from a couple old Next MTB's, spring fork is from an old Monark set-up, the rockers are from a 24" girls Genesis Bella Vista suspension frame MTB. I wanted the front wheel to be way out front but the spring fork on the same line as the triple tree forks so trying out a 3 point rocker rather then a 2 point one. Once I'm done and put a bike on it I'll put pictures.
IMG_20240304_064943650.jpg

IMG_20240304_065045401.jpg

It will be way out front that way. The connecting bracket is all that's needed, that will align the struts with the fork legs. I think Ed's got it covered.

Got the forks 90% done. They are functional enough for a mock-up. Still need to upgrade the bolts at the pivot points, mostly so they are all the same instead of 4 different combinations of what I had laying around, and install a disc break caliper bracket. And the bike pictured is what I'll be installing them on. It's currently on my stand with the headset soaked in penetrating oil. Other then wash it I plan on leaving the paint alone including the moss on it. I like the faint remnants of the pinstripes on the rear rack. I'll replace the seat and handlebars.
IMG_20240309_121933591.jpg
IMG_20240309_121751229~2.jpg
IMG_20230930_110656085_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20230930_110705785_HDR~3.jpg

IMG_20230930_110733658_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
Took it down the road about a half mile. And it definitely needs a much heavier top spring connecting bracket/brace and I'll be adding one to the bottom plate as well. And I'll be putting it on a different frame, this one is a bit to light and almost too fragile for this heavy of a front end. Knew I'd have some adjustments to make, but not as many issues as I was expecting.

That is one wild fork setup!
Once I fabricate a stronger top plate connecting bracket/brace I'm going to try find some stiffer springs or shocks instead. With the wheel so far it front of the springs it don't take much to bottom out those springs. Other then that I like them.

Once I fabricate a stronger top plate connecting bracket/brace I'm going to try find some stiffer springs or shocks instead. With the wheel so far it front of the springs it don't take much to bottom out those springs. Other then that I like them.
Yes, that's a lot of leverage with those flanges. Makes for a smooth ride.
You could also get longer bolts and add springs on top.
1710198780175.jpeg

I like that. Practical and looks good. And I'm pretty sure I have everything I'd need. Grabbed a piece of 5/8" thick aluminum that I'm going to use to replace both the existing top and bottom plates. That way I'll eliminate the bracket/s all together. Definitely will be much more solid and cut the weight of the forks down as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back