I have a question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sure but........

ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPictures.jpg

ozzmonaut said:
Every fixie I see is pieced together and spray bombed. So I just assume they are all rat racers.

Sigh....Mine isn't so much spray bombed as it is well.... painted with the finest aerosol enamal in uber matte bbq pit finish. I used it to patch paint the bares spots. It has these cool 2.25 solid black tires on it. Makes it look like a hotrod. I know I said that I'd post pics on Saturday and I am sure all of you are remiss with my lack of timeliness. I was busy riding it around.

My skills with this particular style of gearing isn't up to par yet. Once I get more comfortable with not coasting, I will be tearing up the nooks and crannies of Austin's urban playground. I got a buddy who rides fixed gear regularly and got his cherry popped by riding around Pittsburgh, PA. We are going to cruise around on Wednesday in relatively clear neighborhood.

The only thing is that I had my shop guy mount it on a freewheel and when I put back pressure on the bike to slow down, it tends to slip. Rene, at Longhorn Bikes, said that might happen. In which case, I should look into getting a track hub to prevent it.

sojudave said:
The only thing is that I had my shop guy mount it on a freewheel and when I put back pressure on the bike to slow down, it tends to slip. Rene, at Longhorn Bikes, said that might happen. In which case, I should look into getting a track hub to prevent it.

Slipping is the least of your worries, if you try to skid it will back the cog completely off, hope you have another brake. :shock: Track hub or flip flop is the way to. Be careful out there. I'm surprised a bike shop let that out the door without having you sign a waiver.

I think I will get a track hub and get it mounted to my rim. I haven't taken the bike out on a any long ride yet, just cruising around my parking lot, getting used to the feel of it. Yesterday, I was rolling around on it to see if it would pop completely off and after about 30 minutes it did. Another option would be to simply put brakes on it as well. A thrid, and more permanent would be to weld the lock ring to the hub, but that is an aboslutist's apporach to the issue.

sojudave said:
I think I will get a track hub and get it mounted to my rim. I haven't taken the bike out on a any long ride yet, just cruising around my parking lot, getting used to the feel of it. Yesterday, I was rolling around on it to see if it would pop completely off and after about 30 minutes it did. Another option would be to simply put brakes on it as well. A thrid, and more permanent would be to weld the lock ring to the hub, but that is an aboslutist's apporach to the issue.

If the hub is otherwise really not valuable to you then that's not a bad idea, I mean, if you were to have it swapped for a track hub then what would become of the current one? On a shelf, in the floor, trash can? If you have the means, have someone put 4 decent tack welds on it.

you can take the lock ring off an older 10 speed bottom bracket and jb weld it to your hub. its not perfect but its better than a total suicide fixed.
get at least a front brake.

roadmaster said:
so at one time i was gonna do a leftside drive cruiser fixie, but i would be doing good to even make my first fixie.

They are different. I am taking it easy on mine due to the somewhat hilly nature of my neighborhood. Also, to the JB Weld comment, that was a thought of mine too. I love that stuff and I have a youtube video about it. Theoretically it should hold up to the force exerted by my legs putting back pressure on the crank.

sojudave said:
roadmaster said:
so at one time i was gonna do a leftside drive cruiser fixie, but i would be doing good to even make my first fixie.

They are different. I am taking it easy on mine due to the somewhat hilly nature of my neighborhood. Also, to the JB Weld comment, that was a thought of mine too. I love that stuff and I have a youtube video about it. Theoretically it should hold up to the force exerted by my legs putting back pressure on the crank.

It's not just the force of your legs, it's the force of road and speed you are going against the tire being transferred to the hub, lots of force involved. I'm not hatin', just statin'.

Thanks for the compliment. I am going to test ride it today on a virgin road right behind my apartment complex. It is not even painted yet. The road is pretty flat and it'll give me a chance to test the welding on the lock ring.

Yeah, im a powerfull rider myself and know that im gonna have to definatly weld it up. nice cruiser by the way. unfortunatly, its so wet outside now that i wont get to work on anything till spring time.

Back