J.B. 40

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man you are definatley hardcore, youve built the bike in under 2 months. Thats incredible in my book. Just one thing what is JB stand for and Galtbachen what do they mean? Are they initials of your name? A nice touch at the end of this build would be some pictures of you or your brother riding it in that beautiful country you live in. Thanks for sharing this build with us, you now have some new fans and I cant wait to see your next build. I would personally like to send you an American classic for you to play around with. See what you can do with it.

TommyTwoTime said:
Man you are definatley hardcore, youve built the bike in under 2 months. Thats incredible in my book. Just one thing what is JB stand for and Galtbachen what do they mean? Are they initials of your name? A nice touch at the end of this build would be some pictures of you or your brother riding it in that beautiful country you live in. Thanks for sharing this build with us, you now have some new fans and I cant wait to see your next build. I would personally like to send you an American classic for you to play around with. See what you can do with it.

but... but... this man fabricates American classics!!!! 8 - )

Just kidding. I agree with TTT. I guess we'll have to wait and see what you can do with a boring stock frame for your build-off bike. Man, I'm really looking forward to that!

Thank you so much TommyTwoTime!
J.B. is my brothers initials and since I'm building it for his birthday, 40 is his age. :) Galtbacken is the name of the place where I live. I'll make sure to get some nice pics of me or my brother riding it for you! :D
I'm truly grateful that you show an interrest in what I build, glad to share it with you all!

Haha, thanks Jeffrey :lol: ! But you know The Dot Supersports was a brittish bike... :wink:
We'll see what happens to the build-off bike, I'm not planning to go all crazy on it, just some minor changes. If I can make time to build it...

More progress pics coming soon! :)

This post (and build, of course) is so amazing, I find my self checking it out three or four times every day to see if there are any new developments. I´m afraid I´m becoming addicted to your work!!

Thanks Billy! :) I'll make sure to attach a health-warning sign on my next build-thread... :wink:

I've got my summer vacation now. Or part of it, I've saved some for the end of summer too. Can't paint the bike though cause it's raining. :| But I've done what I can to finish it a soon as possible.
Here are the last parts to be fabricated:
The bags.
verktygsvskor.jpg

And I've painted the numberplate.
nummerplt6.jpg

I might do gold pinstripes around the letters. Haven't decided yet. Hm...

Now it's just the rest of the painting left to do on this bike, so I hope it stops raining soon.

I guess I'll start fabricating the lights or something for the next build and for the buildoff-bike. Next build b.t.w. will be the Galtbacken 18. :D I liked how the Retro Racer turned out, so I've decided to build a similar bike for myself, with some changes to it. Don't wanna make the same bike twice, I want to use what I learn along the way. Anyway, it's all in my head and on paper already. Framedesign and measurements, painscheme, stripedesign, everything. :) Even got all the parts for it, unless there's something I've forgot...
So if I've peaked your interrest, keep an eye out for a new build soon! :D

I just realized that I've forgot to take a picture of the tubebender for insomniacshotrods. I'll try to remember that next time!

That's all for now!

If you wonder why there aren't any pics of the fabrication of those bags it's because I forgot to bring the camera when I went to mom's workshop to make them. No secrets though, pretty much the same process as the toolbag for the Retro Racer, only a different design. :)

Galtbacken said:
Haha, thanks Jeffrey :lol: ! But you know The Dot Supersports was a brittish bike... :wink:
We'll see what happens to the build-off bike, I'm not planning to go all crazy on it, just some minor changes. If I can make time to build it...

Mhehehe... you've got me there... Well, The Dot Supersports was a british bike, but you are building an american classic nonetheless! ; - b

Yeah, the build-off bike. Great styling doesn't need 'going all crazy'. You've got magic fingers, so... do your thing and it'll be just fine. I'm shure it's a beauty just waiting to happen...

I look at your work and think I could build that or do that. Some of the things you do I would probably do a differant way. I doubt if I would sit with and exacto knife for over about 3 seconds and then find me a sign painter to do what I wanted done. The part that you have that really impresses me is you must have the patience of jobe. The work you do shows your ability to expertly design things and then build them with the same expert techniques. Dude you have seriously honed your skills. It is so good it makes me feel bad that I dont take that extra step that leads to perfection. :mrgreen:

herr_rudolf said:
Mhehehe... you've got me there... Well, The Dot Supersports was a british bike, but you are building an american classic nonetheless! ; - b

Nice save! :lol:

herr_rudolf said:
Yeah, the build-off bike. Great styling doesn't need 'going all crazy'. You've got magic fingers, so... do your thing and it'll be just fine. I'm shure it's a beauty just waiting to happen...

I've been eyeballing the Mustang for a good while and I think I know more exactly what to do to it now. I already had the basic idea as far as colours and tires and a little of the style of the bike, but now a more detailed plan has formed in my head, but still involving only slight modifications. I'll buy some tubes today so I can get started... :) Thanks for the compliments!

deorman said:
Hmm, Swedish-American classic. :? Sounds like a good way to market venison meatballs. :lol:

Yummie! :lol: Or you can just add lingonberries to any food of choice! :D

Thanks Uncle Stretch! Yepp, I got patience in abundance. A bit too much for my own good sometimes. :lol: I too think that you could build what I build, and I see it as a good thing that you would do some things differently. That's what gives our builds our personal touch and makes everything a lot more interresting! And just to not dissapoint you or anyone else: what I do is not perfected! Inspite my patience, I too think I've spent enough time on something eventually and leave it when I think it's good enough or when I just can't motivate myself to spend more time on it... I aim at perfection but Idon't expect to reach it. :)

Here's what I did yesterday:

No rain means painting! :)
primed
mlat5.jpg

painted
mlat6.jpg

I'll clearcoat them as soon as weather permits again.
I've also sanded down the filler on the frame so that's ready for paint as well.

I couldn't resist the urge to put some gold on the numberplate... :roll:
nummerplt7.jpg

I'll be back with more progress-pics as soon as I got more to show!
Take care everybody! :D

Ok all these neat bike things expertly built and there is still no door on your building.....Dude what gives??? :shock:

Well...eh...but I've at least ordered a door!! :lol:

Here's some progress:

When I sanded the filler on the fenders and then applied more filler and sanded that down until the fenders were sooo smooth, I didn't realize that the dust from the sanding filled some of the pits. I blew off dust as I sanded but it stayed in some of the airbubbles in the fiberglass. Then before I was going to prime them I wiped them off with a cloth and some thinner. I didn't see these pits until I had shot the primer, I didn't look cause I thought I'd done the inspection when I sanded them the last time. I just couldn't bring myself to take them down and apply more filler and sand it one more time, so I left them unperfected. :roll: So here's a pic of some flaws, both to show you that I too cut corners at times, and to remind you to wipe fiberglass parts off with a cloth between sanding them down and applying second layer of filler. Easy way to minimize frustration... :wink:
glasfibermiss.jpg

Some more painted parts!
mlat7.jpg

Primer...
mlat8.jpg

...and paint!
mlat9.jpg

Now I've just got to clearcoat the frame and then the bike is ready for the final assembly!! :D

insomniacshotrods, here's the tubebender I'm using.
rrbjaren.jpg

Stay tuned folks! :D

Just kidding about the door. :wink: In the US we have spot putty that is just really thick primer in a tube. Dries real quick and is used to fill in imperfections once you have all the body/bondo work done. I have used it over primer to fill in voids and I cant remember but I think once or twice I have even put it over paint and then shot another light coat over it once I wet sanded it. Never have had it fail. Looks good so far. :mrgreen:

Krastins said:
mm, tasty color :) I love the geometry of the frame, reminds of vintage motorcycles.

Thanks! :D Yeah, I got the idea for it from a motorcycle from 1923. Similar design to many of those old motorbikes from that era, Indians and Popes and so on. :) Good to hear you like the colour, I'm really pleased with how it came out too! In some light it looks almost bright red and in other light it looks wine.

Thank you very much for that tip Uncle Stretch!! :D I'll see if I can find that in the local autoshop. I guess they sell stuff like that, it's just that I didn't know there was such a thing as spot putty. :D

I'm assembling the bike, should get it done today! :)

Galtbacken said:
I'm assembling the bike, should get it done today! :)

Go insane with the camera!!
I´ve been waiting to see this bike completed for a long time.
Can´t wait to see it done and rolling!!

Back