Last Shot....With Paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Last Shot

Riverbend Bicycles said:
What are your plans for the seat post? Something like the original Basmans have would work nice and give more adjustment.
I stuck two pieces of tubing inside the big bent one. The last one is a seatpost size. I can put about a 6'' long seatpost in there now. I drilled and tapped two set screws . One in both sides. I plan on running a fender and a seatpost clamp will get in the way. it should work good. I put a post with a seat on it and it held my 260 lbs.

Ok the springs that were on the Monark were too small . I had the porch springs from my Brain fork build and so I stuck them on there. much better. Looks good too.

springschange001.jpg

springschange002.jpg

Boardtrack fan said:
You make me want to go out in my cold garage and build bikes!
Go for it. The welder and hot metal will warm it up. :lol:

Siberian its about 4 inches right now. It will be a little higher with the real tires and wheels that will go on it. These are just for a mockup. Thanks for the web site. I will look. Humm German huh. :cry: :cry:

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
looking really sweet Stretch
Thanks. I'm still just pluggin along. Got a cold front fixing to hit today ,so I guess I'll be starin at the walls. Hope my heater will work a few more times :lol: :lol:

Took a shot with the bigger porch swing springs , adds a little bulk to that springer.

bigsprings001.jpg

Uncle Stretch,
Those springs definitely give the front more 'presence'. With the curved seat post and stays, your eye naturally gravitates toward the rear of the bike, having a 'heavier' look in the front balances the bike aesthetically, while giving you more pedal room.

One question, what did you use for 'caps' on the top and bottom of the porch swing springs? I'm switching to a heavier fork on my Monark to accommodate a 24 x 3 Kenda, beefing up the springs may help the springer look less out of place.

As many others have stated, this build is great and fun to watch.
Any idea what wheel/tire/gearing you're gonna run on it? OK, I guess that's 2 questions. :roll:

Cheers!
Dr. T

Uncle Stretch said:
Got a cold front fixing to hit today ,so I guess I'll be starin at the walls. Hope my heater will work a few more times :lol: :lol:

ooo going down to 60? brrrrrr. :lol:

MadMick said:
Very kewl, this has been a great bike to watch evolve.
Thanks its been a hoot adding silly stuff instead of rushing through it
Dr T... Deorman is right they are porch springs that you buy for $8 at lowe's and the freeze plugs come from the auto parts store. Make sure you take the springs because they have lots of sizes...some brass. They cost me a buck a piece. Then I drilled a hole in each one and it happened to be the size as that stud in the Monark. Took 2 seconds to change them. Oh you have to sand the end of the spring flat so they will fit good in the freeze plugs. I got the real tight ones and sanded a little off of the edge of the spring to get them in there.OOOps forgot the gearing part...Probably a Nexus 3 speed with either black alloy rims or chrome rims...got both..you gotta wait for the tires and paint ha ha

Ok I decided while waiting for our big cold front.....suppose to get to high 30's Skip. Not an artic blast....but still dang cold.....to build some handle bars. I will still have to sand and paint them ,but they turned out pretty cool,and differant anyway.

handlebars001.jpg

handlebars002.jpg

handlebars003.jpg

ART DECO on those bars.

Paul, you are really do justice to this bike. You have the vision.

Thanks Steve glad you like them

Naw Clancy they had some that looked kinda like these at Choppers US and they quit selling them ,because he said they cost too much to make...I see why. Anyway I just copied them...kinda ...sorta...I'm about out of creative jucies....but I can steal ideas with the best of them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those bars are quite cool. Well done!! It's not copying it's a compliment to whomever did it first. :wink:

high 30's! Swimming weather!! :shock: :lol:

Thanks Skip they add a little to the build and as usual if you stuck both together ...mine look kinda like them ,but not really.
Ok ok let me get out my bathing suit. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hummm two Marks like my bars :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks guys , I'm just messing around now trying to see what I can stick on this bike. Its fun ,because it keeps me from having to finish sanding the frame and not feel guilty about it. :roll: :roll:

Back