Looking for ideas, I want to do it up "GASSER" style.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier today I was thinking about this bike while bored and came up with a crazy idea for a non-swing version of this. To go with the racing theme, put the pedals out behind the wheel. This would allow the rider to lay out and be aerodynamic while having a crazy suicidal boardtrackish look =P

gasserpb6.jpg

If you make it so the rider's hips are above the rear axle, then his center of gravity should keep the front wheel down. I laid down on a backwards banana seat and that seemed to give enough hip/stomach support without mashing the junk too bad :oops:

To me this build looks more like a 60's front engine or slingshot dragster. What if you built some sort of really high leaf spring front end? That's what the gassers were all about 8)

I like the slingshot dragster style too. It's kind-of a toss up for me. With this frame shape, the slingshot version might be easier. It may be too long to go through with a gasser style. I'll probably just go for something in-between, but regardless, I do like the ideas and suggestion from everyone.

Thanks, and keep them coming.

ok, i put this in bike builds but wanted to put in this also. my "BAD COMPANY" Gasser/dragbike build. thanks

Outlaw 8)

JWSMOCKUPBIKES233.jpg

I was impatient, and didn't want to wait 'til I had the money for copper or red, so I used what I had. I kind-of like it. Maybe I'll call it the Swing-ray Orange Krate.

bikepics086.jpg

bikepics087.jpg

bikepics088.jpg

I like how you moved the rear wheel forward, and the front wheel forward, like they did on altered wheelbase gassers.

attachment.php

You gotta find one of those Roth "Wheelie Bars" or make one...

Wham-O.jpg

I just finished building a 16" Swingbike.

Thanks.

A 16"swingbike? My kids have been wanting one. my oldest just turned 6. I have kind-of been looking into building a run of 10 swingbike frames, Maybe I'll do one a 16"er, and keep it for the kids. My kids call it the twisty bike or the bendy bike. Please post a pic. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one crazy enough to want to build a swingbike for small kids.

I don't have a picture of it yet. It's built to fit an adult, the sissy bar is pretty tall, and the apehangers are about 24' tall (cut & extended). I built it mainly because I had a nice set of 16" wheels built up with a Bendix Red Band.

The original Swingbike prototypes included a 16"

proto06.jpg

IJust got some lettering done on it. Rather than go with something original, I just ripped off of schwinn and made a phantom schwinn version of the "swingbike orange krate". I still need to get an orange krate seat, handlebars cables grips and some kind of a shifter. I am still thinking about a frame mounted shifter, but a thumb shifter might be more period accurate for the swingbike and the chainguard. If anyone has a cool shifter for sale, let me know. Preferably schwinn. a chrome thumb shifter or some kind of a stick shifter. Thanks.

Here are some more shots of it in progress.

Skidmark, I just slapped the 16"er together yesterday for the kids. It looks like I should have gone even smaller. They like it anyway. It might actually look okay once we paint it.

bikepics092.jpg

bikepics095.jpg

bikepics096.jpg

bikepics097.jpg

bikepics098.jpg

bikepics099.jpg

Pics016.jpg

I love how this is coming together, definitely do a krate stick shift on it. Can't wait to see it done.

I have made no progress since the last set of pics. Hobby money is hard to come by at the moment.

If anyone wants to buy a swingbike frame or parts to make one, I still have metal and rear triangles for 7 frames. Send me a PM. I would love to finish this bike, and get my engine rebuilt for my bug.

as for "gasser style" maybe mount a front fender up by the steer tube floating way up in the air above the front tire. just my opinon anyway

I would have thought that the actual overall color isn't as important as the "sponsor" decals. Maybe an STP decal somewhere with some Mooneyes on the chainguard or something. Even some "chalked-on" numbers, you know, so they know who's who when you're doing 140mph down the quarter! Oh yeah, and a little 3.5 gallon race tank replica on the springer would set it off for sure.

Nice idea with the gasser theme though, I think you'll have a bike that will appeal to more people than you might think:)

Does anyone have a stick shifter for sale? Preferably schwinn, I will consider anything as long as it will look good on the bike. Any condition is fine.

Here it is so far. The "Swing-Bike Orange Krate" I have the cables for it. All I really need is a shifter. I will probably just lock the derailleur in one gear for a while.

bikepics110.jpg

Back