(MBBO#04 Class 2) PEDRO. (PEDRO GOT A NEW OWNER!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't see the big build-off's getting more categories, it was tried for BO#08 and dumped afterwards...
This is a big, big build for me, I will not be doing another like it for a while.

Luke.
Luke, it has been my experience in life that most of the time ideas that are not given time to develop are for only two reasons: lack of funds, or not wanting to work hard enough to make it work. I don't accept the fact that classes were tried once years ago and then abandonded. If the definition of each class is clear, and each build measured by those definitions, it makes for a more interesting and evenly matched build off. The classes are one of the best parts about MBBO #4 in my opinion....

Luke, it has been my experience in life that most of the time ideas that are not given time to develop are for only two reasons: lack of funds, or not wanting to work hard enough to make it work. I don't accept the fact that classes were tried once years ago and then abandonded. If the definition of each class is clear, and each build measured by those definitions, it makes for a more interesting and evenly matched build off. The classes are one of the best parts about MBBO #4 in my opinion....
I'm not sure on the reasons why the two classes were abandoned OJ, I do know that it is a lot of work to set up the voting threads even for these small build-off's that I look after, and two threads is actually a lot more work again. I can't imagine doing it for the amount of bikes the big build-off's have!

There was a bit of backlash from some members against the two classes too, not sure why.

My personal guess is that it lead to people taking the whole thing too seriously, in fact I have deliberately avoided adding a prize thread to this build-off for the same reason.

Luke.

Hi I know I am new to the forum but looking through all hard work and effort that has gone into this build and other builds I just had to post a comment, the thought and engineering that has gone into this build is great can't wait to see the painted bike.

Slappy.
Thanks Slappy!
The lights are awesome. Paint sounds like a cool plan. Love all those Australian paint cans.

Welcome to the forum Slappy.
:thumbsup: Actually most of that paint come from Greece believe it or not!

Luke.

Your odometer reminds me of my van, bought it in 09 with something like 96,462. And now it's at 96,463. It was my daily/cross country driver til this year.

Paint from Greece huh? So that's how Funk does it so well.

Awesome work on this so far. Anyone who has built a scratch bike should understand the effort size and ingenuity of your invention. I have a hard time just keeping up with the posts, let alone running the event as well.

I know I appreciate it, Thank You Luke!!!

And for the flack you he on two classes on the mbbo, I am glad there are two classes and will always agree with the decision :-D

Building... riding...

Your odometer reminds me of my van, bought it in 09 with something like 96,462. And now it's at 96,463. It was my daily/cross country driver til this year.
Paint from Greece huh? So that's how Funk does it so well.
The paint that came from Greece is really good too, will buy it again!
Awesome work on this so far. Anyone who has built a scratch bike should understand the effort size and ingenuity of your invention. I have a hard time just keeping up with the posts, let alone running the event as well.

I know I appreciate it, Thank You Luke!!!

And for the flack you he on two classes on the mbbo, I am glad there are two classes and will always agree with the decision :-D

Building... riding...
Thanks Chewy! This has been a big build!
Luke, I'm looking forward to seeing,
the paint on this one.:grin:

Dig those, lights.:cool2:
:thumbsup:

Well, I may have jumped in a bit fast with the metal flake, I now have the chainguard and forks done but only a quarter of the frame... Need to buy some more Intercoat and some more Flake.

I made a few errors along the way.
No problem at all with the base coat, it flowed on really nice and covered really well!

My main issue was the flake itself, the intercoat dried on the bike almost instantly so there was nothing for the flake to stick to, not sure what the issue is there, the second thing that went wrong was me allowing too much pressure through the flake gun, the flakes were coming out so fast they hit the frame and bounced off.

My carport has a beautiful glittery floor now though! :p

Pretty annoyed with myself, going to be another $110 or so, but that is the cost of learning as you go... I did do a test piece that worked really well, so I thought it was all good, but the test piece was flat, which makes it so much easier!

To be honest the colour is not what I expected, it looked much greener in the shop, this is almost a girly blue...

Anyway, on to the pics!

Finished up the welding and added the final touch to the frame, this is the bottom of the tube that curves around the rear tire, of course you will not see this at all once it is covered with flake, but anyway... Maybe I will mask it off before I hit that bit with the flake next time:

22866499945_45d5f89ea7_z.jpg

Everything hung ready for spraying:

22448131117_69c8909643_z.jpg

How I finished the day:

22448161728_43005d6691_z.jpg

Chainguard to give you an idea of the colour, really hard to photograph, the holographic sparkles just don't show up:

22678510640_acd7a5804a_z.jpg

The floor in the carport:

22853009422_f6dd322e3b_z.jpg

Have to wait for more flake now...

I did get a video of the last shake down ride before stripping:

Luke.

Your flash brings out the colors better in that night time photo. I think once the sun hits those colors on the bike, the paint job is going to be as eye catching as the bike!
I SECOND THAT!! THIS BIKE IS ALL THAT!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I'm actually not a fan of the colour it has come out... I really wanted a greener tinge.
It does look good with the fabric though, and it sure does sparkle! Check out the dirt floor of our carport:

Half thinking of stripping back to bare steel and starting again with a new flake:

22886187635_08336802d4.jpg

:39:

Luke.

I like the idea of stripping & going with new: Green flake job.:39:

Floor looks good.:thumbsup::grin:
I like the blue... but I'm not a fan of green.

Carl.
That's what I thought when I saw it that it would look good with that fabric. Doesn't look green but it looks cool.
Turns out it was not entirely my fault the flake failed, the guy at the paint shop used the wrong thinners in my Intercoat, so it was drying too fast. My assumption was correct, unfortunately I realised far too late when all my flake was all over the floor... :doh:

Never mind, live and learn!

The manager of the shop mixed me up some new intercoat and I ordered some flake from the USA, you guys were right, the original flake worked better with the fabric than the green, but it did not work with the tail lights! So I ordered a completely different colour that works with everything... Now I just have to wait for it to arrive!

In the meantime I will strip the frame and re-basecoat it and also paint up the headlight bowl, handlebars and the wheels, so once the flake arrives, painting it will be all that is left.

Luke.

Back