Mongoose Beast Fat Bike build and ideas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks cool, but that's gonna be a BEAST to pedal when it loaded!!

The real fun begins when you try to haul a heavy load with the seat post mounted hitch. Tilt the bike even a little bit and it will want to fall over very quick. Most modern trailers attach to or near the rear axle to minimize the load effect on the bike handling.

I'm not going to be hauling old refrigerators to the dump or anything...the original setup was designed to tow a 50-75 pound kid, with a much higher center of gravity. I don't see myself hauling much more than a cooler and a couple folding lawn chairs really.

Update: fabbed the rest of the brackets and installed the rest of the bolts tonight, took it out for a spin and nothing rubbed, so I put three cinder blocks in it (90 lbs) to see how it would do. It's kind of like starting out on a treadmill set to "10", but once you shove off it does ok. Pushes the bike a little bit, but nothing that can't be easily overcome. In reality, I built it mostly for "wow" factor, so it shouldn't be an issue.

rickpaulos said:
Axle vs spindle. Vague terms for the same thing. Yeah, an axle is typically stationary while a spindle spins. But the entire bicycle industry has always referred to the part as an "axle".
I come from the automotive world where all the spindles are stationary, while all the axles spin. I am surprised that bike people didn't come up with a whole new term for it.

Haven't yet decided how I'll ultimately mod my Beast, but in the interim...

Removed five reflectors and 11 decals/stickers.

Added new platform pedals (the stock ones hardly spun); ape hanger handle bars; and a slight layback seat post. The room gained in the cockpit (I'm 6') makes all the difference on this ride.

Finally got around to weighing my Beast for the "Weight" thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57655&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

The picture below doesn't show the alloy cranks, 34t chainwheel, and alloy pedals I swapped on. At 46.28 pounds it's lighter than my stock 1978 Schwinn Klunker5 which was supposed to be an off-road bike.

DB9764A8-D1FF-4B9E-AA94-8ABD2BBD103C-17122-00000C1C199781F4.jpg

beast.jpg

Someone should make a soft tail Beast mod!

I didn't mean that someone should do it for practical reasons. It just should be done -- CUZ

weighs a ton? Can you weigh it?

I just un-spoked a stock Beast wheel set and I'm amazed at how heavy the rear coaster brake hub is. (yeah, the tire too)
2 pounds 15 ounces on the food scale!
Complete with axle nuts, axle washers, cog, dust cap, snap ring, chain stay clamp, nut and bolt.

rick

rickpaulos said:
weighs a ton? Can you weigh it?

I just un-spoked a stock Beast wheel set and I'm amazed at how heavy the rear coaster brake hub is. (yeah, the tire too)
2 pounds 15 ounces on the food scale!
Complete with axle nuts, axle washers, cog, dust cap, snap ring, chain stay clamp, nut and bolt.

rick

I got 4.2 lbs. for the hub and 20T cog, but my scale is a POS so give or take 2oz.

rode my fatwally on the beach today. as you can see from my expression, it was not fun at all.
9535041034_d2570a659d_z.jpg

last night i changed over to 32x23. it was easy to pedal on the sand and the tires just floated over everything.

That's the best thing going about these bikes. The smiles.

Someone should get this set of Mongoose stuff from Double Nickel - $15 shipped
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72083
null_zps47d831bc.jpg

Bill in Houston said:
rode my fatwally on the beach today. as you can see from my expression, it was not fun at all.
last night i changed over to 32x23. it was easy to pedal on the sand and the tires just floated over everything.
Any idea how much pressure you had in the tires?

aka_locojoe said:
Bill in Houston said:
Any idea how much pressure you had in the tires?
i don't have a pressure gauge that goes that low with any accuracy. when i squeeze them, they feel like a slightly flat volleyball. maybe 7 or 8 psi? i remembered your sand experience when i was riding. the sand in galveston is quite silty, and was a bit damp, and packed nicely. looking back at my tracks, they were level with the surface - no ruts at all. a friend with hybrid was suffering badly, and ended up pushing his bike rather than trying to ride.

All the Walmart stores in the Reno-Sparks, Nevada area are gearing up for the influx of Burning Man participants passing through town on their way to the week-long festival in the middle of the Black Rock Desert. A bike is a must for this extremely large festival held on a flat, dry lake bed.

Last week I posted a few pictures of over thirty Beasts that had been assembled and awaiting sale at one local Walmart. Today I stopped by a different Walmart and saw nearly 100 bikes (Mongoose Beasts, Huffy Cranbrooks, etc. assembled and lined up in their garden section.

IMG_5691_zps130788fb.jpg

IMG_5693_zps7a219c79.jpg

Believe it or not, it is likely that all of these bikes will be sold by this time next week.

Back