My Latest Selling Experience.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it people with money always try their best to beat you out of something?

I listed a basically brand new Schwinn Meridian for sale for 200.00 and prepared to deal some if I had to. People never seem to bring the correct amount of money and expect you to either have change or take less so their money evens out so here goes the story.

Guy calls who lives out on the lake here. (gotta have money to live there). First asks will I take a check and I say no. Next complains about ATM fee to get cash. Again lives at lake/has money .Gettin thecash is his problem. Told him I was about 3 miles from town when giving directions. When he arrives (in his 50k diesel truck) doesnt bring cash then complains about distance from town and gas to go back to atm. (his stupidity shoulda got cash on way). Haggles over tryke and finally I am firm at 175.00.

He gives me a 20 and heads out for the long 6 mile round trip to atm.Gets back and counts out another 150 so now were up to 170. Digs in wallet for 3 more then hunts change in truck and comes up with 1.06 more. Still.94 cent short and I am fumeing. At this point I handed him his money back and told him to forget it. Told him he should have stopped at a store to get the correct change. Ends up giving me 180 in cash because he knew he was getting a deal. This has happened to me several times and I get tired of it. I am very hard nosed when selling but always try to be fair when it comes to dealing with a working class guy opposed to these high rollers who expect to skin you any way they can. If I hadnt smelled the money on him I would have gladly taken a little less but regardless always bring the asking price and some bartering cash when making adeal.
rumeryde.jpg

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Me too I always have some haggle cash just in case there is wiggle room. This isnt the first time I have encounted somebody without the right money. Rich people are the worst to act like its killing them to buy something. A working man who lives from paycheck to paycheck usaully pays without any questions.

I have a sister who is like this. They are money grubbers and can never have enough.

It has nothing to do with his income, I have had low wage people try the same tactics and I gladly point them towards the ATM. I even drove a guy to an ATM with the bike in the back of my car. Some people have weird ways of haggling.

Kingfish I had a guy pull the same crap over a lawnmower at our old residence once at 10pm. at night. I didnt care how late it was I sent him to a convience store 5 miles away to break a 100. Next day it was on CL for 3 times what he paid for it.

I had sold him a push mower a year earlier (he didnt remember me) and he was using the same sob story to get both of them cheaper "my sister needs a mower" when in fact he was a backyard used mower dealer.

I recently sold a bike on craigslist that I had listed for $250. The buyer never asked if I was negotiable, so I figure I would get my full asking price. We meet and he likes the bike, pulls out his wallet, and proceeds to tell me how he saw my post here about paying $40 for it. Doh! I usually don't disclose what I pay for an item unless I plan to keep it for myself, which was my original plan for this bike. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what I paid for the bike, but the guy was doing his research and knew these bikes were sold really cheap, generally less than what I was asking for it. I settled for $200, but am ok with that.

The very next day, I sold a kid's bike on CL for more than my asking price. Had it advertised for $90. Seller wanted it delivered (which was cool because I sold to this guy before and trusted he would follow through). Offered to deliver for an extra $10 and he said he would pay an extra $5. He ended up paying me $30 extra. Love those deals.

I used to get mad at the tactics some buyers try, but more and more, I just get amused by them.
  • Like offering CASH (when my ad says CASH ONLY).
  • I only have $xxx with me (followed by my directions to the ATM)
  • I'll take it off your hands for $(1/4 the asking price), followed by me telling them I am in no rush and I am selling for profit, not for need like the guy clearing out his garage before he moves.
  • If you bought this at a yard sale you must have gotten it cheap, so you should sell it cheap to me. Followed by my explanation that what I paid for an item has absolutely no bearing on it's true value that I have it priced at.
I appreciate friendly haggling, some people are just extreme in their methods. It's relatively easy to bring them back in line, and if not, then they can move on so the next guy can buy it.

My son wanted me to sell his riding mower recently. It was a newer Cub Cadet but had a minor issue and wouldnt start although it was a nice mower. Well we figured getting 200 would be nice so I tried something I have never done before. I put it on Craigs with "make offer" just playing around.. Within 30 minutes of listing the ad guy calls and asks if I would take 500. I tried to stay calm and told him that I thought it was worth alittle more but would accept his offer. Came got it 2 hrs. later no questions asked.

Sometimes with Craigslist, both selling and buying, it's difficult to figure out what motivates people to do some of the weird crap they try to do.
I sold a bike recently and at least 5 people offered half the price I posted. Another 5 wanted me to deliver the bike to them so the they could inspect it. Ya, right, that's gonna happen.
I ended up selling it for a good price to a normal buyer in about 2 weeks.

I have a problem with craigslisters and greedy people. I don't even care about being chewed down. It's all the other bs that comes with it. Picture collectors, bs trade offers, The scams. Plus I don't trust any of them. I'm not greedy by any means, if I'm selling something used it's only worth what people are willing to pay. If I want a couple more bucks in my pocket at that time, and don't feel like having more people come to look at the item, I'll let it go. I also like a good deal when buying too, the same way I don't mind giving someone a deal, but I can't stand when people thing their junk is worth big money and won't budge on the price.
I want a pair of skinny wheels for the front of my car, found the ones I want. I email the guy for better pics. Ask if he's firm on the price, as I can go buy a brand new alternative for the same money, and I don't have to polish them. He replies, yes that IS the price. 3 months later, still has them for sale. Same price.
I've had my share of dealings. I have a truck I want to sell, so far I've gotten fed up and pulled the ad 3 times.

I didn't like texting at first, but now I use it to get most of the dumb offers out of the way before they get my location to come over. Old dogs eventually can learn a trick or two! Ha!

I've had some good luck with CL, but it can be real hit or miss. I found a bike seat a while back that a guy was selling for $50. We texted back and forth and I asked if he would take $40. He texted back "I would consider $40." I incorrectly assumed this meant he would sell it for $40. When we met up he gave me the seat and I gave him the $40. He gave me a crazy look and said, "hey, this is only $40." I told him that I thought we had agreed on $40. He told me that he only said he would consider $40. No idea what consider $40 really means but. I try to be extra clear as both the buyer and seller to avoid misunderstandings like this.

I have never ever had luck posting a wanted to buy ad on CL. Most times never get a reply even on things that should be plentiful like a Snapper riding mower I was searching for recently. If you do get a reply its always some junk at a huge price. Or the first question out of their mouth is Whatcha gimme? .Another of my peevees is the "How much would you pay?

One guy asked me the latter and I asked him was he having an auction?.

My latest headache is late model BMX bikes and the kids that want them. Seems like every kid over 8 years old has a smartphone that they can text on, and they always seem to find me. I don't sell a lot of late model BMX, but occasionally I find a deal on one that needs a chain and a couple tubes and can flip for a decent price. My ads always have a clearly stated price, multiple pictures, and my location.

The texts usually go like this:

Still have the bike?

Which bike were you interested in?

What all do you have? (This drives me up a wall)

I have several listings, which one are you looking at?

The DK.

It is still available.

How much? Can you send me a picture?

Pictures and price are in the ad...why are you not seeing them? It's $125 firm.

I can bring $80 cash and pick it up tomorrow...

No thanks.

All I have is $100, would that work?

I have other people interested, if it doesn't sell I will let you know.

(Next day)

Did the other people get the DK? I can come right now.

It's sold.

I would have done the $125. Do you have any others?

The other variation of texts is pretty much the same, except somewhere in the exchange a request is made to either meet at or deliver to a location that is a 100-120 mile round trip for me, and they still want a price break. Kids that don't drive yet have no concept that the price of gas ends up being half the asking price of the bike.

I didn't sell it, just pulled the ad. I'm going to put it on consignment at the local BMX shop and let the owner deal with the kids. He's more of a no-nonsense type of guy than I am.

All of my CL postings have the following at the bottom. If the request looks too generic, I simply delete it.

If you see any of my listings still posted, then the item is still available! Too many SPAM bots do nothing but ask if something is available, so please ask more in your response, so that I know you are a human and not a Nigerian bank scheme. Thanks,
CASH ONLY​

I have great buying experiences, I am in control! :)
Selling sucks. Always ask a higher price. That way you get what you want for it.
Actually had a guy tell me the bike was not what he wanted, yet bought it anyway!

I have great buying experiences, I am in control! :)
Selling sucks. Always ask a higher price. That way you get what you want for it.
Actually had a guy tell me the bike was not what he wanted, yet bought it anyway!

On the whole I have had great selling experience with CL with many repeat customers. It's only occasionally that I get the low ballers, and even then I sometimes end up getting them to come up to a realistic price.

I really hate selling things, I like trading alot better. One of the first bikes I sold on cl was almost my last the guy kept emailing me for pics of the bike after 20 pics we decided on a time for him to come and look at it. When he got here he started telling me he drove 2 hrs to look at the bike and that he was really looking for something like a trek, then he wanted to take it for a ride once around the block and some how managed to mess up the shifter (had never had a problem with it) then offered me half of what I was asking for the bike. Told him sorry he drove so far for a bike that wasn't a trek (which he could clearly see in the pics) and that I hoped he enjoyed his trip home. sold it a week later for my asking price and have a return customer to boot.

Back