My next project-Locomotive Breath!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
After hunting around for ideas and frames, I've decided to build my next stretch myself, using 2 old frames joined together with the straight bar top tube...
ps2d.jpg

looking to use the Girvin 1" fork, 3 speed alloy wheels w/coaster brake 26x2.4 tires and fellow club member Spoke's glass doorknob for the shifter.
ps2e.jpg

Tomorrow I start calling around for steel tubing. More as it develops. :cool:

Re: My next project

i know that fork, i think theres a steel/cromolly version and an aluminum one..
i thought about looking for one but it seems like a long shot for CL :p someone here might have one

Luckily I got ahold of one of the alloy ones. 8)

Got the steel, got the frames to cut and the tubing cut. Now to talk to a welder...
ps3a.jpg

ps3b.jpg

I know it's been a bit since i posted but this one is going to go at a more leisurely pace. Just picked up the frame today from the welder.
SAM_0018.jpg

Dang! It's big!
SAM_0019.jpg

I've been collecting parts and jotting ideas down, so this has all the earmarks of a winter project. Good thing the baement is clean...at least for now! 8)

Wow, I almost forgot this post was here...sorry folks! Time to play catch up!
November - just finished sanding and smoothing...
px1.jpg

And I had to lay it out in the driveway for inspiration...
px2.jpg

Looks pretty good with a new coat of primer...
px3.jpg

2 issues rear their heads...one is I may have to weld a small stub of handlebar onto the top tube to act as a shift mount. The other is I am gonna need a loooooong set of handlebars!

Sprayed the frame today while it was warm enough. A couple of pictures of the actual paint I'm using...
px4.jpg

px5.jpg

Now to let it dry for a bit before the building begins. :cool:

well I couldn't use the Girvin front end because it moved the bars way too far forward. However i did have a black springer on Ole Reliable, so it got a normal fork and the springer was moved to the project bike. I also added the wheels and tires, and rolled it out for a couple of pics...
px7.jpg

px8.jpg

....! It's looking good! got a nice piece of poplar for the tank plaque so it's coming along nice :cool:

December - progress being made...got the shifter done...
SAM_0289.jpg

and the seat came in from Ebay...for once no surprises!
SAM_0291.jpg

Next step is the tank...I brought the wood over to Spin, our club prez, to cut, seeing as he is a better woodworker than i am.
px10.jpg

While i was there he came up with the idea of drilling holes in the tank. Then I came up with another idea as well for some of the leftover wood...
I made a cardboard pattern...
px11.jpg

and did a quick mockup
px12.jpg

...I like it!
Another quick artist's rendition...with fenders
ps2spb.jpg

Just a quick look with the wood, the shifter and the headlight in place...ignore the clutter
px13.jpg

Spin did a heck of a job, and the holes in the tailpiece worked out great!
More progress...I stained the wood today, started with a honey oak and added a quick wipe with gunstock walnut to help bring out the grain.
px15.jpg

px16.jpg

px17.jpg

A conduit clamp doubles as a headlight mount...
px18.jpg

The gauges waiting to be installed. the top one is a sexton, bottom row is Thermometer, a removable compass/sundial which sits on top of the humidity gauge and barometer
gauges1.jpg

the extended chainguard and chainrings
drivetrain1.jpg

I've decided to run fender free to highlight the wood details so that'll make things easier. I'm still designing the battery holder for the headlight, and what could this be a prototype of?
x1a.jpg

2 days off = more work done. Mounted up the wood and the painted shifter, and installed the gauges. added a few details too...
px20.jpg

px21.jpg

Bighit's package came and I found this cool green lightning lamp inside the big lamp.
light1.jpg

best part was, it fit in my headlight, batteries and all! It's getting used!
And now we are up to date 8)

This is looking really good!
Well done on the wood stain, that looks amazing! The paint is a good pick too, is that a type of stone texture paint?

So, are you going to clue us in? What is the copper pipe collection for?

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
This is looking really good!
Well done on the wood stain, that looks amazing! The paint is a good pick too, is that a type of stone texture paint?

So, are you going to clue us in? What is the copper pipe collection for?

Luke.
The paint is a texture brown Rustoleum I found at Home Depot. As for the tubes...soon...

I just want to say I do not like this build ... I love it. I may have to borrow some of your ideas, if I ever get to the point of actually streching a bike. I am lookimg foward to the end product. Nice :mrgreen:

Awesome build! I too am going to have to steal some of your ideas! :mrgreen:

kcjim78 said:
I just want to say I do not like this build ... I love it.

X2

This is a work of art 8) ....a true locomotive style bike.

Can't wait to see more!

Back