My project plans - First bike in the making.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my name is Tom, I'm 20 years old and live in Norway.
I stumbeled in here when I was looking for some inspiration for a kustom kruizer project.
I do alot of spare-time drawing and designing, and the latest project is a lowrider bike.

What I plan to do:
*Kustom chopped and welded frame with quick-release function
*Making the frame geometry comfertable to ride(no serious streching for bars - due to back injury)
*Racestyle front fork with suspension
*Dual front discbrakes
*Rear discbrake
*Steel-plate seat with suspension
*Mono rear-swingarm with suspension
*Need some sort of gearing system that will work with the monoswingarm in the rear

Now I need some parts for my custom frame-build, some parts that needs to be compatible with parts from choppersus.com
parts-needed.jpg

These are basically the parts I need to be compatible to the parts (forks, crank's and such)
from choppersus.com as the frame will have to be costum buildt to achieve the look and geometry I want for the bike.

I've found this site through asking on the slow'n'low forum and figured I could use one of the headtubes and the BB-shell from this site?
http://www.prestosell.com/cgi-bin/order.pl?ref=firebikes&fm=1

I want to do something like this on the rear swingarm, just with a disc brake aswell:

imgp4298.jpg

I'm gonna use a black 36-spoke disc brake downhill hub which uses a 20 mm axle.
The 20mm axle is to make it more durable as it will only be mounted on one side.
ChopperOlli helped me out abit with some tips on it :D

For the gearing I need to to something similar to this made by Gdad on the slow'n'low forums:

p3238385.jpg

p3238772.jpg

p3238281.jpg

Any tips on how to mount 2 sprockets on one hub and make a system like this work?
I would also like to add a freewheel to my drivetrain setup.

Finally here's my design, hope for some feedback on it.

gritzner-v.2.jpg

Hoping I can make all my ideas work with some good help from you guys,
because I know close to nothing about bike parts since this is my first bike build.

Best regards
Tom -aka- Dephota

Missed this last night. Very cool design. Looks pretty complex but if Chopper Olli is your mentor you should be more than fine.

Thank you!

Yeah it's abit complicated, but I have confidence I will be able to complete it with some help from you bike guys :)
ChopperOlli just answered some of my questions about making a mono-swingarm, but I would love to have him as a mentor, he builds awsome rides!

Dephota said:
over 65 views and not a single comment on anything? :shock: :(
Sometimes it's hard to type, when your jaw is touching the keyboard........Nice looking design!........Keep "posting".

that is quite a bike your planning on doing and i agree that the jack shaft is the way to go with a bike like that. then you are more open to wide rear wheels and tires without worrying about chain line. good luck

Dephota said:
over 65 views and not a single comment on anything? :shock: :(
A lot of views are just Googlers passing through. That's how I got here. :D

You should be able to get info on using 2nd hub as transmission or transfer at motorbicycling.com
Any specific post to look for? Seems like the search function for the forum doesn't work very well :?

Sometimes it's hard to type, when your jaw is touching the keyboard........Nice looking design!........Keep "posting".
Hehe, good to hear that you like it! Thank you ;D And I'll keep posting ;)

Dont worry.....sometimes it takes a little while to take it all in
Hehe, I was just abit surpriced since this is a much more active community than the slow'n'low forums( :cry: )
But seems like the ball started rolling now:D

that is quite a bike your planning on doing and i agree that the jack shaft is the way to go with a bike like that. then you are more open to wide rear wheels and tires without worrying about chain line. good luck
Yeah it will be quite a project for me to build, but I hope that I can complete it :D Yeah, seems like a jackshaft design is the way to go, both for adding the nexus 3 or 7 hub in the frame, and to minimize chain travel on those bumpy roads :D

A lot of views are just Googlers passing through. That's how I got here. :D
Me too, just did'nt thought they'll be that interested in my post, with no reply's :p
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now if any of you have any tips on anything regarding this build, or know some other posts out there containing some of the information I need, please do not hesitate to post them or a link to that post here

Best regards
Tom -aka- Dephota

That is a killer design! :D
I may have missed something, but how do you plan to mount a disc to the rear if you are running the swing arm one sided? I would be worried about torquing the wheel over. Maybe it will work fine. Here ara a couple ideas. You could run the brake on the same side as the cog. you could run a fixed gear hub on back, drill some holes in the cog add spacers for chain clearance...Your freewheel action would come from the muliti geared middle hub or jack shaft.

The cogs are really hard. If you are going to put holes in them, you may want to try a carbide burr.

I may have missed something, but how do you plan to mount a disc to the rear if you are running the swing arm one sided? I would be worried about torquing the wheel over. Maybe it will work fine. Here ara a couple ideas. You could run the brake on the same side as the cog. you could run a fixed gear hub on back, drill some holes in the cog add spacers for chain clearance...Your freewheel action would come from the muliti geared middle hub or jack shaft.

The cogs are really hard. If you are going to put holes in them, you may want to try a carbide burr.

Thank you man! Always nice when someone really like what I've designed. I don't think it will be a problem with torque, as I plan to use a black 36 spoke 20mm downhill disc hub. That think is built to withstand big drops and high jumps, and i can't really see myself doing that on this bike:p The hub i've found so far has the disc mount on one side and the the sprocket on the other so I might have to run from the front sprocket to the middle hub on the right side and from the middle hub to the rear hub on the left side because the sprocket can be mounted to the hub "in-mid-air" but the mount for the caliper can't:p
So if any of you know about a 20mm thru axle singlespeed hub somewhere please let me know;) I know it's out there:p

As for putting holes in a sprocket I have 12 diffrent burr's in some sort of carbide, can't remember right now but they cost close to 200$ a piece and is used in the north sea on oilrigs, so I think they'll be up for the task. It's nice what your father brings you gifts from his work isn't it?:p

Your springer design reminds me of this bike I spotted at http://www.basman33.nl
Looking good !

Awsome picture man! I got my idea from a motorcycle concept;)

bikebuilder said:
you could run a fixed gear hub on back, drill some holes in the cog add spacers for chain clearance...Your freewheel action would come from the muliti geared middle hub or jack shaft.

Now that I think about it, that wouldn't work anyway unless you had a free wheel crank.

your plan is good.

Should be reliable too, especially with the axle going thru the hub being welded to the frame at one side ;)

a sudden idea just popped into my head would it be possible to use a 20mm thru axle front hub and possibly weld or bolt on the sprocket on the "in-mid-air" side?

Your drivetrain seems a "little" out of my league..............I'll bet you can get a lot of your questions answered here http://forum.atomiczombie.com/ KEEP us posted!

Back