My son's first real build/restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kingfish254 said:
Oh man, what a wicked idea!!!1
It will look like a hot rod rocket ship!!!!
To the moon Alice! To the moon!!!

To be in compliance with the 4-H rules for the alloted display area in this class, we have to get the display to fit into a 2' wide x 3' deep section of a table top. Originally, we were told he could display the bike along with his build book and poster board. Then a couple weeks ago, I was told he couldnt. So I contacted the 4-H person that told me he could and discussed it with him. I stressed about how much time and effort that Aaron put into it and that this is the first time in local 4-H history that a 4-H'er has ever done a project like this and asked for a special exception because of it. Just having a ook and photos aren't going to give the judge much to look at other than a neat story. Having the actual bike there would really stand out from the rest. Aaron worked hard on it and wants to show his pride! I'm not trying to sway judges or anything like that just so Aaron can get a "win", but he should be able to show his project like anyone else.
Anyway, the 4-H guy said he is letting the project leader call the shots on it. Even though special exemtions have been made in the past regarding the display space rule , the project leader said "NO" this year due to space limitations. BUT.....he did tell me that if we can get it to fit with the 2'x3' space on the table, we could display it!

There's no limit to the height of the display so we're taking it "up".

I've had the donut spare lying around for years. It measures 23" across. So the theory and design behind this display piece is that the tire will sit on the table closest to the front as possible. The bike will be strapped in it going up and leaning back (away) from the viewer. If the width of the handlebars is an issue at that height, the tire can be rotated a little to position the bike at an angle to take care of that. When we made the display, we used a re-pop Krate as our guinea pig bike for its heavier weight and same size. It fit without problems.

So there you have it! I'll definitely be taking a lot of photos of it when its there and will post them in this thread.

My mom, and her magic sewing skills, is going to help make a fitted cover for it out of some thick materiel that will slip over it like a drum cover. This thing will definitely be getting some use at shows! Aaron is already planning his next restoration project!

That is so cool!!!
I forgot about the 4H project part.
One suggestion for safety, you may want to get some of those ratcheting ties downs and secure the donut to the table. You don't want them to DQ you because they are afraid it will fall on someone.

GOOD LUCK!!!

kingfish254 said:
That is so cool!!!
I forgot about the 4H project part.
One suggestion for safety, you may want to get some of those ratcheting ties downs and secure the donut to the table. You don't want them to DQ you because they are afraid it will fall on someone.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Already thought of that. I dont want it to come down on somebody or damage the bike.

Have you had the 4H event yet?

I just pictured the look on the poor shadow box kid's face on the table next door with this beauty looming over them like Godzilla over Tokyo!!!!!

godzilla_84643.jpg

Initial 4-H results are in this morning. Aaron received a blue ribbin for his bike. In afew days it'll be entered into the Open Show and we'll see how he does then.

422101456-vi.jpg

The stand worked out great! It'll be perfect for shows. Here you can see how it towers over everything else:

51229814384-vi.jpg

Chips_Mahoy said:
The stand worked out great! It'll be perfect for shows. Here you can see how it towers over everything else:

51229814384-vi.jpg
godzilla_84643.jpg

See the similarity!!!!!!

CONGRATULATION!!!!!!

The OPEN SHOW results are in this evening:

55221195248-vi.jpg

He received nothing but good comments about it and had a few people come up and tell him that seeing his bike brought back memories of an old bike they used to have. It made them reminice about a good time as a child.

Way to go Aaron!!!!!!!!!
CONGRATS!!!!!
Way to represent RRB!!!!!

Back