My son's first real build/restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's cool hearing your pride come across in you posts. I think you are learning as much about your son as he is about building a bike! :wink:

kingfish254 said:
It's cool hearing your pride come across in you posts. I think you are learning as much about your son as he is about building a bike! :wink:

That's absolutely correct! I see a lot of me in him when I was his age.

Update 07 April 2012:

We finally got the chance to go back and let him strip the frame back down so we can start all over again. A little aircraft paint stripper & the pressure washer pretty much did the trick!

Way to go young man! Ive been letting my 7yo daughter help me on a few of my builds and she is already asking me to make mods to her little 20 inch princess bike. Passing the sickness down the generations is a good thing!

Got the frame and other parts reprimered. I didn't have my phone with while he did it so I had to take this one the next day. We also got a rear fender and a banana seat for it.

It's been a little while since we've done anything to this bike. We were so busy getting ready for the Build Off, this one whent to the back burner. But yesterday evening I took him back to the shop just so he could work on this again and not build stuff at home. So here's what was accomplished:

IT'S GOT COLOR!!!

We repainted the white already but I didn't have my phone w/ me and I didn't do an update since I didnt have a photo to go w/ it.

He also chose a different style of flame making kit. He went with mini tribal flames instead of the longer hot rod style.

This time we removed the masking before the paint dried and it came out pretty well I think. Well, it doesnt matter whatI think....It's his bike & he likes it. The only thing left to paint is the chain guard which will hopefully get done this weekend. We'll be taking the frame, fenders & chain guard (maybe) to the pinstriper next week after the paint has had time to cure. He's becoming quite the spray painter too!

The paint looks really nice, I like the mini flames. Well done.
Kenny

Thanks again! Hopefully we'll be able to get some more done this week onmy days off. I've misplaced his chainguard somewhere so either I need to find it soon or replace it. The County Fair is only a month away... :shock:

I FOUND THE CHAINGUARD!!! YEA!!!

It had gotten knocked down into a plastic tub when my dad had moved a few things around. It was in there vertically against the side making it hard to see. After a few repairs to some chips in the paint Aaron was able to get it repainted today. We'll let it cure a couple days and it all goes to the pinstriper. He's super excited about that!

Chips_Mahoy said:

I hope that I can mask and paint as good as your son one day. Those flames are wicked!!!!

The application and removal of the masking is about the only part that he needed help on. The masking it is such a pain to work with in my opinion, but if it goes well the result is pretty cool. A good hobby knife and a lot of patience will get it done.

PROGRESS 28 MAY 2012

We just got back from taking his bike & parts to the pinstriper. We also found out that the front fender we had ended up being a short rear fender instead! Luckily we have a front at home we'll have to paint and then take it to the pin striper's along with the wheels we forgot...... I guess it's better to realize it now instead of this time next week.

Aaron is explaining what he wants on the frame. A lot of other parts will get some striping on them too but good old dad forgot to start taking pictures until the end!

The colors he's going to have are the same as whats on the car parts in the background: Corvette Blue and the new Camaro Green;

And this is his "That's enough pictures Dad!!" look..... :lol:

I picked up Aaron's parts from the pin striper yesterday. We weren't able to get the flames done like Aaron wanted but its a learning experience......for both of us. We'll start reassembly tomorrow. Here's a couple of the parts:

Aaronsparts04Jun2012004-vi.jpg

Aaronsparts04Jun2012005-vi.jpg

VERY COOL!!!!
I have lots of paint and art supplies that I get at yard sales as the art students go home for the summer. I need to try my hand at pinstriping one day.

Dang, it looks like Fotki broke all of your old photo links.

Back