My son's first real build/restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
After seeing me add to my build tread for "REAPER" , He wanted to start a thread for his bike too.

My 10 year old son, Aaron, is restoring a 1969 Schwinn Stingray. He's doing this for himself and as a 4-H project for next year. He will be doing a complete tear down and replacing what needs replaced, refurbishing what needs refurbished, body & paint work, etc etc... He will be doing as much as possible without hands-on help from me or any other adult. We will be doing most of the work at my dad's work shop in his barn since the lovely Indiana winter is on it's way. He lends a hand too if needed. So I guess you could say there's 3 generations of us working together on this! I'll post a couple pics now and will add more as progress takes place.

More pics & info here:
http://public.fotki.com/ChipsMahoy/bikes-/aarons-build/

Way to GO!Very cool !!! 8) :mrgreen:

That's awesome. All of you guys having the opportunity to be involved with this build is really cool. Good luck! I'll be checking your progress. I can appreciated the time spent with your son/family, whenever my son (4yrs) sees me grab the toolbox he is always eager to help me "build".

Jon

Thanks to all!! We were looking at decal sets for today. He's undecided if he wants to go with an original style set or something different. We saw a set for a new style Stinkray that had blue flames. He really liked those so I'm betting that's what he'll choose. They're blue & they're flames.....just about a done deal for him!

Socal Last said:
That's awesome. All of you guys having the opportunity to be involved with this build is really cool. Good luck! I'll be checking your progress. I can appreciated the time spent with your son/family, whenever my son (4yrs) sees me grab the toolbox he is always eager to help me "build".

Jon
Lol, that's how my son was too. he was always trying to get into my bike room.

Awesome !! Very nice work..can't wait to see it done ! Been to your lovely state one time on business in December..my lungs have never hurt that bad !! Keep up the good work Aaron !! :D

old school 64 said:
Been to your lovely state one time on business in December..my lungs have never hurt that bad !!

The hurt from a little crisp, winter air in the lungs just reminds you that you're still breathing.... :lol:

Was when my knees locked up that night walking over to the Walmart across from the motel to find a shirt for my son, that i felt the true pain of cold !! And the "hitchin' post" was quite the throwback to me..lol

Chips_Mahoy said:
old school 64 said:
Been to your lovely state one time on business in December..my lungs have never hurt that bad !!

The hurt from a little crisp, winter air in the lungs just reminds you that you're still breathing.... :lol:

cool..
wish i had a larger beadblaster..
how much that machine Run for?

wish i had a nice sandblaster..
well i have a nice paint gun though :p

iven said:
..how much that machine Run for?

Unfortunately it's not mine. It's at a friend's shop. It'll fit a 26" frame in there. He just did a $3000 upgrade to it a few months ago. He's now set up to run, charcoal, walnut shells, sand, glass & other stuff through it with a quieter motor and bigger blower. I can't afford stuff like that on a lowly county employee salary..... :(

Chips_Mahoy said:
iven said:
..how much that machine Run for?

Unfortunately it's not mine. It's at a friend's shop. It'll fit a 26" frame in there. He just did a $3000 upgrade to it a few months ago. He's now set up to run, charcoal, walnut shells, sand, glass & other stuff through it with a quieter motor and bigger blower. I can't afford stuff like that on a lowly county employee salary..... :(

well my dad doesnt even have a job right now..
and im only 16 and i dont have a job. so yeah :/

thats a nice machine you have access to though..
another good reason for friends :lol:

could go without if i just had a nice tig welder and a tube bender..
i wanna see taking a hand at making my own frame.
have drawn up afew designs 'muscle bikes' love 20inchers :lol:

iven said:
could go without if i just had a nice tig welder and a tube bender..
i wanna see taking a hand at making my own frame.
have drawn up afew designs 'muscle bikes' love 20inchers :lol:

I've been drawing out a few designs myself but I cant decide on what I really want.

No progress to report.....The weather has been less than desireable and I'm not the only one doing a project in there because of the weather. But, we're going to try to get it in primer by the end of the week and take it to the shop in KY where my car is being re-done.

im building my sister a Rat bike right now, its gonna be bare..
my friend came over and dropped off the bike and i just been working on it and havent bothered to post a build forum even though i could use an idea..
need some parts too.. apes,seat,grips,tires,chain...

Back