NEW KLUNKER IN TOWN

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first run of 200 sold out, before the container shipping them had docked.

As far as I know, the price is still $550. It has a different sprocket, as well. Pretty sure the stem is nicer, too. They changed the spacing on the welded brake mount, as well. I looked on google, and saw a New Zealand ad for $850, but that's due to currency differences. I personally think it's more of a $400 bike, but they don't seem to be having any problems selling them, do they? :wink:

CCR said:
Just read where the 1st run of transition klunkers have been bought up (at least by the dealers) seeing prcies climb to $850-900 on them now for the next run with nothing but a paint job change ... yup ... sticking with the real klunkers now :lol:

Real klunkers? Isn't that kinda like debating what's a "real" rat rod?

I think Klunkers are the first Downhill Race bikes. I am aware of the differences between bombers, klunkers, hybrids, and so on. My feeling is that when they started getting derailleurs and gears, they started to become proto mountain bikes, capable of going up AND down. Custom frames followed shortly, then Specialized mass production, Rockshox, disc brakes and all the rest. My interpretation of a good klunker is:
1. Fastest bike down the hill
2. No shocks
3. No gears
4. coaster brake only
5. built on the cheap out of what ever parts are off road worthy, motorcycle, BMX, MTB, cruiser or other...
6. Looks boss.

thad said:
Morgan in B.C.'s klunk.
8191200027_f98c11e89c_c.jpg

Man that is cool!!

Is that a Schwinn Heavy Duti? Do you have any more pictures of it?

It's a Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua’a. I'm not sure what year.. some came with canti bosses, others coaster. 4130 butted tubing, 1 1/8" ht, 27.2mm post. He rawed it out.

Here's a few pics from when he had Gay Bars on it. Borderline too nice for a klunk: challenger stem, profile cranks and imperial sprocket, sturmey kick-back 2speed coaster, Mavic 729's, brooks saddle, etc.
8170583957_6e9de5d538_b.jpg

8170786915_bf9172d8bc_b.jpg

They have been making Humu's since the early '90's, and there have been several incarnations: aluminum and cro-mo, horizontal drops/sliding drops, canti bosses vs coaster, and so on. It really depends what year you are talking about.

In general, they look alot like a heavy-duti, but are about half the weight. I think they have a bit higher BB height and shorter CS.

Kona also made the A'ha, which has an awesome paint job, but sadly canti bosses.
Konas-Aha-Humu-Deluxe-Sml.jpg

They also made a Titanium cruiser in the mid 90's. It had a similar MURICA flame job as the A'ha, sold for around $3500, with a super nice build, machine tech brakes, white industry cranks and hubs, etc. I cannot remember what it's called, but I think there were only 50 of them.

That or a Merlin Newboy would be ultimate high-end klunk.

I'm not debating on what a "real" klunker is, just referring to stuff like your showing off and they built back in the day, "re-purposed" bikes so to say. People built, not factory built. Not trying to split hairs at all. I would still be in line for a white 1st run at the original prices (if there was a shop I didnt have to spend $100 in gas to get to) but it does look like there's a demand gaining steam. When I first saw those overseas prices I thought it was the shops holding out for more money.

That humu humu is pretty beefy, I thought that was an S2C hub in the back too, does it hold up with what its been put through ? I've got an S2 that states not for offroad use or something along those lines, I'm wondering if it's just a disclaimer because they're not meant to take the abuse or just them letting people know "your gears will change in air too, dont get mad at us and tell all your friends you hate our hubs" sort of thing. :lol:

The humu is one of the better choices for a bike that has cruiser lines, but uses good tubing and takes modern parts. They come in different sizes, too, 16", 18", & 20" I believe, though they are probably different throughout the years. There are a good amount of them out there... nowhere near as many as Heavy-Dutis, but there aren't many bikes as popular. One issue I had with my old Schwinn, is that they only come in one size... and I'm a taller guy. Knees hitting the bars all the time. I really needed a longer bike. That was one of my main motivations behind the wally world 29 klunk: a bigger bike that fit me better. I'm pretty confident the big wheels are going to be faster.... we'll have to wait til the next race to see... I also thought it would be funny, and it is, bike makes me laugh on the regular. Best $150 I have spent in quite some time.

Morgan blew up the 2 speed Sturmy. I'm not sure exactly what broke. It shifts into low gear every time you brake, which is not very sweet for trying to go fast downhill. He is not sure what hub to get now. I am considering nexus 3, sturmy 3, and sram 2 automatix. I would set up the 3 spd up with a suicide shifter, and a lockout for race day. I am going to use the bike as my commuter/townie/dog run bike, as well as trail ride it. My old commuter is a kona rigid 26" explosif with 3 spd nexus and v-brakes. I like the 3-speed, very durable, decent range for steep climbs, cruising, and going fast.

There is a early 2000's Specialized Bighit 26X3" tires on the front, some flame 3" tire on the back, dunno what that is. His bike would be way faster with 2.5" super tacky maxxis. Those specialized tires are light for their size, but the rubber is way too firm, they don't grip fer nuthin'. I guess he's going for a fat bike influence.

Michelin 32 A.T. 2.8" would be my first choice for a super fatty. It would have to be a super rocky course, with very little pedalling, for them to be faster than the minions, tho...
v10-front-wheel.jpg

Flat Black Heavy Duti
+
Chrome MTXs with those michelins
p4pb8952711.jpg

+
!By8TZIwBWk~$(KGrHqZ,!i!Ew4-7EmPvBMT0mfw)0w~~_12.JPG

+
redneck_stem_2_blowup.jpg

+
new%20items%20Jan%202011%20037-1.jpg

+
chrome profiles
+
sharp_sprocket_blowup.jpg

+
Odyssey_MikeAitken.Rail.Black.jpg

= MEAN
I've got the seat and sprocket, and one Michi 2.8"... redneck would be insanely hard to find and expensive. Prolly go with something visually similar off a junker bmx. The forks and bars are the hardest things to find used. I know steel moto bars can't be that hard to come by, but I don't have a good source for them. And there just aren't many decent 1" threaded forks out there... you pretty much gotta go with the $95 landing gear if sticking with threaded. If you can go 1 1/8", you have lots more options..

Its gonna be hard waiting to build this bike until the build off, especially with other klunkers getting built up too like MIGZ bike :eek: Every time someone spells out a klunker build I think "hey, that's what what I'm building" :lol:

It would be pretty rad to have a nod to "On Any Sunday", similar era, and kicked off many a kid's love of bmx and moto. Borrow some styling cues from cool bikes of that time.

Malcolm's bike
Husky400_600.jpg

Steve's bike
tumblr_kx4qb52lLN1qz6f9yo1_500.jpg

Decoster
062811middle-i.jpg

On_Any_Sunday_Reunion_020.jpg

thad said:
http://youtu.be/1ZhME5rVcP8
LOLOL, this made my day.

Can you embed youtube on this forum?

I've got a clone bike for mercury morgan in the works right now (schwinn version) but theres a couple different worksman , schwinn and cannondale bikes in the pics.

Cobra grips/KOS bars/Schwinn canti frame/Big butt seat/Chrome forks/knobbie whitewalls/52t wald sprocket/union pedals ...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67445&p=650178

http://mercurymorgan.com/

I'm pretty sure those are wing things on the pant legs too, i think it looks cooler than using them as arm bands :mrgreen:

DSC00425.jpg

large_mercury14.jpg

Back