New Project!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I am so excited about this! I have been wanting to do build a hot rod for as long as I can remeber. For the last ten years I was living in the bay area and could never afford the parts or the space to start one. Now that I'm in Utah things are a little more affordable. This last weekend I picked up a 28-29 Model A Tudor body and a 30-31 frame. The body is in really good shape with hardly any rot. Just the one top corner has some but shouldn't be too hard to fix. Sure it has some dents and a couple bullet holes but who cares! I have a feeling that a good share of my bicycle stuff will be going up for sale :lol:.

DSC07827.jpg

DSC07825.jpg

DSC07828.jpg

DSC07824.jpg

Holy cow you've stepped in it now...ha ha. :lol:

We'll wait for you to come back and do your new intro like the rest of us...

"I used to build hot rods, but now that I'm broke..." :lol:

Steve- I have definitely stepped in it,lol. I still have some bikes left in me to build, but it's time for something new. This one is for sure a long term project.

Fireproof- The body is really nice. It looks rusty but only through in a small spot here and there. The plans are first to get it as a roller so I can work out how it's going to sit. The tape is just holding the doors together for now but eventually there will be a small chop. Right now I'm thinking a 4" channel, 2-3" chop, getting the A axel dropped, juice brakes, '35 wires, and not quite sure on a powerplant. I would say overall a somewhat traditional build.

Very cool Mark....Gonna be a sweet hot rod. I'm just starting a '34 Ford pickup build myself. Just got the dropped front axle in the mail. It's here in the dining room standing in the corner :mrgreen:

Good luck with your sedan! I have a long term (very long) project to, a '47 Ford pickup rat rod. Well, actually I have a 47 cab, they are the same from 40-47. Been slowly collecting parts for it. Someday it will get some love.

Outskirtcustoms- The 300 straight six is a good motor and I actually really considered one. I have also considered a 200 with the triple carb setup. The problem is that I kind of want to run hood sides and those motors are long. I'm not overly concerned with gas mileage though. I also like the idea of a yblock

Jeff- You should post some pictures of your truck! That's cool about the dropped axle. There is a local guy here who is supposed to be really good a dropping them and I'll be talking to him soon.

Daddyar- Post some pictures of yours too. Maybe if there isn't already a thread of hot rod projects we should start one.

nice looking start :mrgreen:
another cheap idea on gathering parts is hang out at the restoration sites.....alot of time theres cast off parts left over that most guys dont want to take the time to repair or just want it out of their hair and will let it go for cheap or free(i got quite a few parts for mine this way :wink: )
as for engine....personally id go for a banger....lots of hop up parts for them the only draw back is they can get pricey....
if/when you do go for a haircut on that...its one of the easiest(well....all model A's) cars to do it on....just need to pie cut the a pillar to get the channels to line up.everything else is just measure,cut and drop(unless you want to see out of the rear window but thats and easy fix as well)
good luck,have fun, and keep us posted!

kram said:
Jeff- You should post some pictures of your truck! That's cool about the dropped axle. There is a local guy here who is supposed to be really good a dropping them and I'll be talking to him soon.

I was going to drop an original but opted for a So-Cal axle in the end. I'm building mine as a highboy on top of '32 rails. Y-block was one of my first choices but I let what I found dictate my choice. I bought a '66 Buick 401 Nailhead and will be running a Muncie 4spd. For the frame I bought a set of ASC '32 rails, original '40 Ford x-member, Ionia stamped hole boxing plates, '40 ford rear crossmember that will be pancaked and a model a front cross member. Since I don't have a frame jig the parimeter frame is being put together by a friend of mine that owns a local hot rod shop. All the frame stuff is at his shop for assembly....I think there is one more frame in front of mine.

I just sent a set of front backing plates to Brian Bass on the HAMB to have a Bendix brake converstion done (looks like original stuff from the outside) and will be running Buick front 45 finned front drums. The rear axle is a '60 F100 9" out of my Ford....I put an 8.8 in it.

I've been collecting parts for this for several years and hope to have it drivable by this time next year. Should have a rolling frame by late this summer.

Don't have any good pictures of the cab...this is it last winter before it was put away. It's a Montana area cab that I picked up from a guy in Knoxville that was hauling them back from out west. I will be chopping it 4"

This is the goal......Something along the lines of these 2.

Walker said:
How about a boosted busa motor? Probably sacreligious in the hot rod field but I'm just thinking outside the box...

Have fun with that project!

That would be sweet but a whole lot of fab work.

outskirtscustoms said:
Walker said:
How about a boosted busa motor? Probably sacreligious in the hot rod field but I'm just thinking outside the box...

Have fun with that project!

That would be sweet but a whole lot of fab work.

Have you seen this guy's project! :shock:

OK, in light of recent fuel cost increases, how about electric!

I've done lots of watercooled vw engine swaps and upgrades but I'm way out of my element here. It's fun to play pretend though..

Jeff the truck looks cool!. I always have loved the pickups but I'm 6'2" and will probably fit a bit better in the sedan. I probably won't have mine on the road for a couple years but it's still fun to just go out there and look at it. I like the highboy look and if I had a '32 frame I would go the same route. The A frame doesn't look as good so I'll probably channel it a bit. The nailhead is a good choice and cool motor. Right now I'm not too worried about the motor and I'm sure eventually the right on will pop up.

kram said:
Jeff the truck looks cool!. I always have loved the pickups but I'm 6'2" and will probably fit a bit better in the sedan. I probably won't have mine on the road for a couple years but it's still fun to just go out there and look at it. I like the highboy look and if I had a '32 frame I would go the same route. The A frame doesn't look as good so I'll probably channel it a bit. The nailhead is a good choice and cool motor. Right now I'm not too worried about the motor and I'm sure eventually the right on will pop up.

Few options on there now.......
429?
http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/pts/2347351062.html
429 CJ
http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/pts/2313408403.html
502?
http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/pts/2317653293.html
Hemi
http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/pts/2323426495.html

Back