New Project!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SimpleMan said:
kram said:
Jeff- You should post some pictures of your truck! That's cool about the dropped axle. There is a local guy here who is supposed to be really good a dropping them and I'll be talking to him soon.

I was going to drop an original but opted for a So-Cal axle in the end. I'm building mine as a highboy on top of '32 rails. Y-block was one of my first choices but I let what I found dictate my choice. I bought a '66 Buick 401 Nailhead and will be running a Muncie 4spd. For the frame I bought a set of ASC '32 rails, original '40 Ford x-member, Ionia stamped hole boxing plates, '40 ford rear crossmember that will be pancaked and a model a front cross member. Since I don't have a frame jig the parimeter frame is being put together by a friend of mine that owns a local hot rod shop. All the frame stuff is at his shop for assembly....I think there is one more frame in front of mine.

I just sent a set of front backing plates to Brian Bass on the HAMB to have a Bendix brake converstion done (looks like original stuff from the outside) and will be running Buick front 45 finned front drums. The rear axle is a '60 F100 9" out of my Ford....I put an 8.8 in it.

I've been collecting parts for this for several years and hope to have it drivable by this time next year. Should have a rolling frame by late this summer.

Don't have any good pictures of the cab...this is it last winter before it was put away. It's a Montana area cab that I picked up from a guy in Knoxville that was hauling them back from out west. I will be chopping it 4"

This is the goal......Something along the lines of these 2.

Nailhead- now you're talking. Great look those flat valve covers. 3 deuces for carbs?

Been working on the hot rod as time allows so I figured I'd post what I have been up to. With many projects I do I change my mind and things shift a bit as I go along. I had bought the tudor body, and though I really liked it I was starting to feel it was really what I wanted to build right now. I kind of wanted a roadster and to build a really stripped down basic car. Then I went to bonneville speedweek this year and it cemented that it my mind. I sold the tudor body to my good friend who really want it. We are building these together so it will be cool to see them both come together. Then I found a pretty nice 1927 t roadster tub. It was missing the passenger side door but I just got lucky and found a really solid one for a good price.

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

So the plan is a lakes modified styled build. I'll still be using the model a frame and it will be a highboy. I got a 4" dropped stock model a front axle, and I'm having a local shop make me new front and rear main springs with reversed eyes. The rear diff is a 9" out of a late sixties bronco, the nice thing is that the width of the rear and the dropped front axle at the brake mounting surface is almost exactly the same. I found a '52 F1 what was rusting out and somebody had botched a chop job on it. I was able to pull the complete brake setup (f1 king pins are the same size as the model A), the steering column and box, front shock mounts, a really nice set of gauges, and a set of 16x4.5 steelies. I kind of wanted a a little more unique motor but in the last week I picked up 302 for a song. It runs good, the compression test was perfect, and it has brand new edelbrock carb and intake on it. It was such a good deal and really helped the budget so I couldn't pass it up. I got the whole thing for less than that new carb would have cost. The guy had gotten frustrated because he thought something was wrong with the motor. He has had the firing order all messed up :lol:.

Here's some mock up pictures.
modelt1.jpg

modelt2.jpg

The motor
DSC08999.jpg

DSC09002.jpg

So right now I'm in the process of removing brackets and cleaning up all the crap that has been done to the frame in the last 80 years. Then we'll be boxing it and starting to figure what size of kick up it needs in the rear to get the ride height were it needs to be. So far I am under $2000 on the whole project. The kicker is that most of that has been paid by selling off some of the bike stuff I had that I'd probably never get around to using. Most of those parts were purchased from profits made from buying, selling, and flipping bikes. It's just one continuous circle of recycling :mrgreen:

g-ratter said:
With that great patina. Chop the roof and you are almost done. :roll: :lol: This one is my vote.
I second that vote. Looks awesome.

Well the sedan no longer belongs to me so that one is up to my friend. It will be getting somewhere around a 4" chop, but I'm pretty sure he will paint it. Call me crazy but I think a hot rod should eventually get painted. The patina thing is cool too. If you've been to many car shows lately you start to realize that a rusty body is a great way to fit in with everyone else, lol.

kram said:
The kicker is that most of that has been paid by selling off some of the bike stuff I had that I'd probably never get around to using. Most of those parts were purchased from profits made from buying, selling, and flipping bikes. It's just one continuous circle of recycling :mrgreen:

Good stuff Mark.......this is exactly how I fund my projects. I ususally flip more than just bikes, but all my project money comes from buying and selling. Kinda like having a second job sometimes.....especially when I turn it up to buy that special part :mrgreen: Takes a lot of time! I still love the thrill of hunting stuff to keep and sell so it's a big high for me also!

Roadster is going to be sweet.......I think having more time than money helps me sometimes as the project is built over and over in my and ends up better in the end. No more than that thing weighs it's going to really fun to drive.

Keep posting :mrgreen:

nice! you going to try to find a turtle deck for it or go the zipper route? i know you said lakes modified but some peoples interpretations arent what i think(imagine that :lol: )
nice score! looking forward to seeing the progress :mrgreen:

Hey Sensor- I looked for a turtle deck for a while but didn't have much luck finding one I didn't have to ship, so I'm going more of the zipper route. I won't be narrowing or channeling the body though. It's already small enough (I'm 6'2") and I wanted to do a highboy. Front and rear will have spring over the axle and the wheel base will be short at around 96-98". Rear diff will be exposed with some sort of gas tank mounted above it. Should be small, light, and a lot of fun.

This is a '23 but this is sort of the look I am after. The owner of this car has been really cool about giving me measurements.
t15.jpg

well i was wondering if it was going to be narrowed...now i know(and knowing is half the battle! or so they said in g.i. joe :wink: )
looking forward to seeing this one as well as your buddies.... oh and some more inspiration!
iskys2.jpg

isky style :wink:

More inspiration, chrome those steelies, add a set of whitewalls, little paint, and an old beer keg you'll be nearly there.

c914.jpg

Although it'd be cheaper to start with a wheel barrow...lol. I am so gonna build one of these someday.
PIC00003-1.jpg

I was really busy the last few months with work. I had a bunch of deadlines and they prevented me from working on the hot rod. It has slowed down a bit so I've been able to get some work done.

Got the frame sandblasted.
photo.jpg

These model a frames have a ton of holes but I got all the holes I wasn't going to use filled.

Before
frameholes-1.jpg

Filled
framefilled-1.jpg

Then I spent a while with a grinder and cut out the boxing plates. They are mostly in and now I just need to grind and smooth all the welds.
boxed1.jpg

Still making progress. I got all the parts so I could get rid of the serpentine belt. With the fan on the motor and radiator supports made I could start to place the motor where it needs to go.

Radiator supports
radiatorsupport2a.jpg

Got the motor mounts made and welded.
motormounts1.jpg

motormounts2.jpg

motormounts4.jpg

Also made the transmission mount.
transmissionmount1.jpg

transmissionmount2.jpg

DSC09547.jpg

With that all in I can start to see where the suspension will actually sit and get the rear kickup going.

Back