POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 7/25 BATTERY TUBE DONE BIKE DONE!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have a hard time thinking of names. came up with this one, plus it is my last name so kind of liked it. :) it is a early '47 roadmaster. did it up in true rat form, wasn't liking it so i am going to redo it for the build off. probably burgundy frame, black wheels, gunmetal on the chrome parts, new spokes, black vinyl on seat. will be pretty straight forward, i think.
DSCF9472.jpg
m

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM W/PIC 5/1

got the bike knocked apart and the frame sanded and primed/painted. i dried kind of dull due to the moisture in the air today and i figured it might. i am as patient as a kid on christmas morning if you know what i mean! :lol: i like the color, burgundy, and i will be doing antique white scallops on the front of the frame and i think antique white rims. it should look good. i will clear the entire frame, so that will take care of the dullness! :wink:
roadmaster.jpg
crappy pic, taken w/my phone.

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM

yeah, i noticed that too! great minds think alike. :wink: mine has a few "brazing" repairs that have been done who knows how many years ago, and a couple of holes drilled into the bottom bar. have no idea what they were used for, might be able to bolt something on. maybe a water bottle! NOT! :lol: oh welol, all that just adds to the character.

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM

did a little mock up tonight. i deciced to steal the springer from the copper fender bike i put together a couple of years ago, also the wheels. the wheels are the correct color, but have alot of paint flaked off so i will recoat the rims and hubs. the fork will be painted burgundy as the frame is, it will have an antique white stripe of some sort to go with the wheels and the scallops that will appear later on the frame. is is so stupid humid and damp here right now that i will probably have to wait until the weekend to do any more painting. :x the red bricks will not be staying, i will be opting for a pair of kenda flames i have. i will be searching for some sort of cool old headlight and taillight. thinking of putting the batteries in the headlight and running the wires through the frame to power the taillight. we'll see how that goes. :wink:
DSCF9508.jpg

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 5/3 PIC

Same too-humid-for-paint-oh-well burgundy I used on the last build. Great color for an older bike, looks like it belongs. I'm stripping it off at this very moment. :lol:

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 5/3 PIC

got the fork painted and ready for the white stripe. sanded down the sprocket and shot it with rustoleum grey metallic paint. i am not usually a fan if rustoleum, if you haven't used this paint yet you need to!! :eek: it is awesome. has great metal flake and lays really well. started masking off the scallops on the frame tonight :? , not my favroite thing to do. i am now thinking of fenders for the bike too. i have a nice set from a womans western flyer.
DSCF9509.jpg

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 5/5 PIC

The sprocket looks good. I didn't realize Rustoleum made a metal flake paint. Is that something you can pick up at Wal Mart? Most of the sprockets I get have very little chrome and I've been looking for an alternative - great idea!

yeah, i know it's not scallops-i took the easy way out. :? but i like it nonetheless. i will break the white and burgundy w/a black pinstripe. got the crank in tonight, hope to get to work on the fenders some this weekend.
DSCF9514.jpg

murraymadman said:
yeah, i know it's not scallops-i took the easy way out. :? but i like it nonetheless. i will break the white and burgundy w/a black pinstripe. got the crank in tonight, hope to get to work on the fenders some this weekend.
DSCF9514.jpg

I know the feeling about laying down those scallops! I did just the straight cuts of color on my pizza cutter and i actually like the way they look. the two colors i was splitting up were a creamy yellow and a dark almost red wine color. i broke it up with a fire engine red pinstripe. instead of black, id go with something to make it really stand out, maybe silver or another warm color...

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM NEED SOME ADVICE

busy weekend, didn't get as much done as i wanted. got the pinstripes on the frame, just went the same color as the crank/sprocket. it is subtle, but i like it. got the stripe on the forks. looks pretty good, will clean up the few bleed throughs w/lighter fluid after it cures a little more.
DSCF9516.jpg
DSCF9517.jpg

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 5/11 UPDATE

doing a little pedal rebuilding. the old torrington pedals have seen better days as far as the end caps being rusted. i will sand them down and shoot some paint on them. won't look great but will be better. will clean the blocks as well and grease the bearings. lucked out on the bearings, figured they would have been powder when i took them apart! :shock:
pedals.jpg

Latest posts

Back