POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 7/25 BATTERY TUBE DONE BIKE DONE!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE HEADLIGHT

finally found something to make my headlight from. i picked this flashlight up at the auction tonight. i will use the light part and mount it on the front of the fork. i will probably paint the metal part with the charcoal metallic color. should mount pretty easy.
headlight.jpg

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE PIC 5/23

managed to get the fenders tipped today and the rear wheel masked primed/painted. i will do a pinstripe down the sides of the fenders and will probably do one on the wheels.
fenders.jpg

This is looking beautiful. Great color combination... those fenders look sweet!

Nice work on the fender tips. how are you striping the wheels?

cman, not sure how i am going to stripe them. will probably use my dad's striping wheel for the fenders, thought about using a brush and holding it on the wheel as i spin it. not sure if they are smooth enough to do that though. have some pits.

I had a bike with cream wheels and black pinstripes. The guy used a Sharpie Marker. Looked okay from 5 feet. Your paint should look better

i wonder if you could find a fine tip paint pen, that might look better and wouldnt fade.

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM

not a good night in the old garage! :roll: i realized i made the point too high on the tipping on the front fender and i would have ended up under the fork and not be seen. no problem, right? so i masked off the white tip to make it a little shorter and lightly sanded the white that i was covering up so that there would be no line in the burgundy. well, afer doing so i sprayed it and the paint lifted underneath!!!! :x sooooo, instead of stripping the whole fender, i stripped it back to where it mounts under the fork so you wouldn't see the stopping point. oh well, i did get the rear fender mounted so i guess it wasn't a total loss tonight!! :lol:

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 5/28

well, this looks scary to me! :shock: lets see how bad i can mess this up! :lol:
pinstripe2.jpg

not too bad i guess. okay, i had some help from the fine line masking tape. the lines around the fender tip was free hand though. i need to practice up on this whole pinstriping thing. i may actually be decent if i practiced!
pinstripe1.jpg

sorry for the glare in the pic. stupid florescents!

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 5/28

i was going to do the stripes in the antique white but deciced to go with black. i am glad i did, gives it more character it think. plus, i can outline the tips with iti. :wink: yes, there is paint missing on the bottom of the fender in the pic! for some reason the tape is pulling it off in places. i used self etching primer too, don't get it! it has been very humid here, may have something to do with it not setting up good. oh well, a little touch up and will be fine.

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 5/31 PARTIAL MOCK-UP

i have the rear fender pinstriped and rear tire mounted. i am liking the white wheels w/the black tires. should be able to get the front wheel painted and dire mounted this week. may be able to make her a rider this week also! :wink:
DSCF9527.jpg

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 5/31 PARTIAL MOCK-UP

some days i have to even wonder why i bother to make any headway!!! :x went out tonight to clear coat the front fender, and as soon as the clear coat hit the fender the freakin' paint lifted!!!!AHHHHHHHHHHH! i am so over rattle can paint. the fender has been painted for over a week, so i know it's not an issue of not curing long enough. anyway, out came the can of stripper. no big deal i guess, just sets me back another 4 days or so. was hoping to get her riding this weekend, doesn't look that way now! :cry:

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 6/3 WHY DO I BOTHER!!!

Sorry for your misfortune. I keep reading so many horror stories about painting nightmares I'm afraid to even begin. I intend to keep my build permanently so I desperately want it to have a nice paint job but I've never painted a bike before so I'm extremely hesitant. Good luck.

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 6/3 WHY DO I BOTHER!!!

computer took a crap after storm last week so i am using our notebook and for some reason have trouble loading pics. :x she is on the ground and actually rode it last week. still have to make a laid back seat post, mount the light if it ever arrives :? , and add some custom touches. will post some pics as soon as i can. oh yeah, i got free 1991 coleman pop up camper last week that i have been working on that has slowe down progress a bit but shouldn't keep me from finishing. :wink:

Re: POORE MAN'S DREAM UPDATE 6/18 PIC ON HER WHEELS!

finally able to get back on here after my computer monitor took a crap after a storm a couple weeks ago! :x here is a pic of her. i stll have to mount the headlight/taillight, make a battery tube and put a fender brace on the front fender. not sure of what else i will do to make it more custom/ratty. i have made a laid back seatpost that needs painted and mounted. i am actually thinking no rear carrier and i have a chainguard from a woman's jc higgins that will probably make its way on here. i would have had to do some major cutting on the western flyer guard to make it fit and hated to do that. :wink:
roadmaster1.jpg

Latest posts

Back