Project Krate-Ray MILK KRATE FINISHED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this bike with the intention of flipping it, but now I like it too much to part with it (I think I'm having withdraws of the Lazy-Ray!) It's going to be more of a rebuild than anything. So far I've removed those awful fenders, I have a BFK back fender on the way. Also traded the tall sissy bar for the stock BFK type. I think I might put a white and blue BFK seat on it also. Anyone have an original Stingray "mag" sprocket?
Before:
bikes001-9.jpg

Progress:
bikes003-7.jpg

Re: Project Krate-Ray

well, "vans" shoes put their name on a schwinn stingray in that color, my grape repop had "blade" forks that were flattened tubing rather than the cast blade forks. could it be possible it had anew st of forks puton it ?

Nice, I wish you still had the tall sissy bar. That is a 2005 model stingray. They are a smooooth ride!

The guy that I bought it from said he purchased the frame/fork/and chainguard in the early 90's and added cheap parts just to get it ridable for his son. If I wasn't such a procrastinator I'd look up the serial # I think it's an early 80's frame, it's a chicago built frame but I can tell that the paint is not as nicely done as the 60's and 70's stingrays.

Any Sting-ray experts on here? The serial no. is stamped underneeth the headbadge and starts with AK which signifies a 74 model, but oldroads stingray summary says that sky blue was not offered until 1975. Could this frame be a later 80's-90's run of stingrays and coincidentally have a 74 serial number? I figured 70's schwinns would still have the numbers on the rear dropouts. I'm clueless.

looks like a 74 to me, maybe a repaint - that thing looks to good to have withstood 32 years of waiting to get to ya. the blue does look a little bit off from the blues im used to, but pictures dont always tell the truth when it comes to color. im not an expert but ive got 5 "chicago" stingrays right now, and had 3 others that were repops.

I have a rear krate fender (thanks dumpsterdiver) and 5 speed stick shift (thanks biss-ness) coming my way soon. I think I may have an old 10 speed rear hub that I can relace to a 20 inch rim. Pics to come soon....

CCR said:
my grape repop had "blade" forks that were flattened tubing rather than the cast blade forks. could it be possible it had anew st of forks puton it ?

They look like the forks from my '05, but the crown looks a little different to me. Throw a nice springer on there and it won't matter! :D Looks good though. I've always wanted a bright blue Sting-Ray.

Well, I thought I had an original name to call this bike when finished "Blueberry Krate" but apparently Schwinn built this in the 70's. I had no idea this existed, I guess I'll use this picture to copy the chainguard script. I'm going up to GTCOMA's tonight to get a correct rear 5 speed hub and derailer.

blueberry_krate.jpg

You might need to get a clamp mount style sissy bar. Either with or without a shock. The axle mount might interfere with the derailer

Yeah, I plan on buying the complete shock sissy bar setup in the future. I think the 90's repops had those with the dropout clamps. I'll figure something out. :wink:

hyper-formance sells the sissybars (rigid or suspension) and they come with the clampsfor i thikn $15(rigid) or so, thicker tubing than the originals though.

Got my hub and derailer from GTCOMA tonight. A short trip up to the LBS to remove the freewheel and I'm ready to build the back wheel.

bikes015-1.jpg

bikes016-1.jpg

The rear fender went out yesterday! Looks like it will be an awesome bike

Cool, thanks for the fender. Can't wait to get everything together on this bike.

Got my shifter and fender yesterday ( thanks again guys ) and borrowed a seat from willyschad. Just wanted to get the bike rideable for a car show today.
bikes-8.jpg

Got an NOS goodyear grasshopper slick from oldride tonight. I'm desperate for an original krate mag sprocket if anyone has one. I'm seriously considering stripping and repainting the frame to make a Gray Ghost or Kotton Picker krate, I just don't know. I think I'll leave it as is until I round up all my parts.

Back