quick ID please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Should be easy for some of you guys, as the chain guard seems distinctive...

It looks like the frame, crank and guard all went together, not sure of the rest of the parts. Can't find a SN anywhere, I believe it is on the bottom bracket but painted over. I can strip the paint off if necessary.

Thanks!

mystery.jpg

Definatly an H.P. snyder built bike so it was sold probably as a Montgomery Wards/Hawthorne or a Rollfast. I had a 3speed that was about the same vintage as yours and the chainguard and chainring are dead give aways. That looks to be the most uptight frame geometry i've ever seen on a bike's head tube for fork angle. looks to be middle to later 60's or possibly early 70's. :D

I'll agree, Snyder. The chain guard, if it wasn't sanded all the way down, may show a name under the repaint. I hold them sideways in the light to see the impressions of the original letters. The forks look like Murray, and the original were probably bent from hitting something. I think the severe angle on the head tube is because of that, the frame may be bent slightly when they ran into something. The way to tell is to check where the top tube and down tube enter the head tube, they will show very slight bends.

No bends that I can see, I think it might just be a weird picture angle.

Fixed the tire that was coming off the back rim, aired it up and took it for a spin. Rode nice and tight. I think this may be my new favorite single speed! I was thinking of swapping in some modern looking wheels, but I think I might just leave it as-is.

Here is another more straight-on shot:

snyder.jpg

I don't think there is anything wrong with the head tube, that's just the way it is built.

Took it out again today, I don't know why it is so much fun to ride, but it is! I bought it mainly to use for parts, but I think It's going to be my new "daily rider".

Now, to do something about its looks...

Back