Rat-Daddy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yesterday I cleaned the house. What does one do when the kitchen is clean on Father's Day?
DSC03314.jpg

Well I've done a few builds, but I've never made a rat. The Airstream bike is way too nice to be considered one. Boy's bike is a bit of a rat but that was his build and he wants it painted now. I'm in process of making a 20" Airstream bike for Boy. Not a rat. So, for Father's Day, I'm starting Rat-Daddy. I will grease everything up, I will not clean or paint anything. I will add useless doo dads whenever I find some. It will never be done. There will be photos of a completed riding bike at some point, but this will never be called done. I do plan on having fun though. So without further ado .... Let's look for parts. hmmmm .....
DSC03306.jpg

Well, might as well use the $5 Kraze's
DSC03305.jpg

And ... ummm .... ooo some things from here.
DSC03307.jpg

... and these will help
DSC03308.jpg

What is that over against wall? Yes. Let's use that.
DSC03309.jpg

Ok. Let's get the garage stuff together and have a look.
DSC03311.jpg

I think I've got a couple of things in the basement.
DSC03312.jpg

I'm going to need some nourishment:
DSC03313.jpg

Nourishment consumed. Let's do a mock up. Forks fit pretty well
DSC03315.jpg

Here's how it all went together. I think I'm going to like it.
DSC03316.jpg

<edited to de-build off it :wink: Thanks for moving it cuz.>

Thanks!

I just finished greasing the wheels. If I had some rim strip I would have mounted the tires. Will have to wait until later. I need some nuts for the front wheel, too. Other than that, I've got everything except doo dads. Should be a rider sometime this week. Time to consume more nourishment. :wink:

if you dont have any rim strips, you could cut a strip out of an old tube you might have laying around and duct tape the ends together. i like the bike!

I couldn't help but notice you didn't give the bananas on the counter a second glance and went right for the pizza, chips and beer. Very good. Good start on the bike also.

Thanks for the compliments. No self respecting Dad would eat a banana when he could have pizza, chips and beer. :wink: Thanks for the idea stretch, if I had some wasted tubes, I would have done that. Funny that you mention duct tape, though ...
DSC03317.jpg

:lol: This will be just fine for this rat.
a Kraze on the front
DSC03318.jpg

And mounted up on the bike.
DSC03320.jpg

I would love something fatter for a tire, but this will suffice.

I like the look of that fork on a diamond frame, makes it unique..........The fenders look pretty cool, BUT YA GOTTA PAINT THEM!.........I also like the "pizza" rack and "beverage" baskets. :D

woah! someone actually did duct tape rim strips! now thats ratty! :mrgreen: glad they work for you. they work for me, and it saves me a bunch of money. also saves rubber for more tires! :mrgreen: oh and for dessert you had those little apple pie things, didnt you? i see the wrappers. :lol:

The only bad thing about tape for rimstrips is like a bike I got with that in there.....You cant get it out after several years and heat. I tried a wire brush on my bench grinder and it barely will touch that stuff. May have to sandblast the tape off. :cry: :cry:

Uncle Stretch said:
The only bad thing about tape for rimstrips is like a bike I got with that in there.....You cant get it out after several years and heat.

Someone sent you a bike with duct tape as a rim strip? What a jerk. :wink: But then again, what would one expect from a guy with a duct tape wallet. 8) Yes. I really have one.

Did you really have a tough time with it? :oops: It was only in there for about two months.

thatismytruck said:
what would one expect from a guy with a duct tape wallet. 8) Yes. I really have one.
heyy! i got one two! did you make yours solely from duct tape?

ohh. i made mine. took me two tries to get it right, and a lot of cutting with scissors. 8)

So the bike's been sitting completely neglected in the kitchen (I cook and clean!! I can leave an unfinished bike in my kitchen for a few weeks if I want to :shock: ) As I was waiting for the coffee to brew I stared at the neglected beast. "Man you're ugly" I thought. "What could I do to make you less ugly? Must fight urge to blast and paint!! Must FIGHT URGE!!!" Then I focused on the old part of the bike. "Hmmmm ..... What if I took some of this:

IMG00024-20090708-1901.jpg

Had Bob weld it a certain way, then put it ............ to be continued ....

So here is the neglected bike in the corner of the kitchen.
IMG00025-20090708-2108.jpg

And I fought the urge to paint by cutting up some angle iron. Here is what I did with it after Bigpantsbob welded it for me. (Thanks again Bob!!) He's welded for two build off bikes now!! None are his either.
IMG00033-20090711-0956.jpg

And they fit up just like I'd hoped.
IMG00034-20090711-1124.jpg

Forks on the bike:
IMG00035-20090711-114200000.jpg

Me Likey!!
They are going to need some paint though. Off to the paint booth!!
IMG00036-20090711-1407.jpg

I love that color blue. While I was searching for paint int the cellar I noticed this odd color yellow cap. "Huh, It's very close to the fender color." I say to myself. The urge to paint won. Still pretty ugly though. :lol:
IMG00038-20090711-1537.jpg

I noticed some ratty old jeans in the cellar. "What if I cut that up and put some of it on the bike somehow?"
IMG00040-20090711-1728.jpg

The coin pockets might make good mud flaps. And how about some scrap denim wrapped around the chainstay?
IMG00043-20090711-175000000.jpg

IMG00044-20090711-175000000.jpg

Me Likey!!!
Front fork painted and assembled
IMG00045-20090711-1750.jpg

I didn't get a really good shot of the complete bike. This is the best one for now. I have a few more ideas and I need to get the baskets mounted then we'll call it done.
IMG00042-20090711-1749.jpg

The picnic table in the middle of all my fun Saturday. It was a good day.
IMG00041-20090711-1728.jpg

Hope you all had a good build day too!!

Back