-ROLAND- FINISHED ((sneak peak))

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: -ROLAND- Rear fender pimpin' 6-26

It's seat time! So I had two seats to choose from. One is a Troxel, the other is a Persons. They both stunk. The Troxel on my Spaceliner is the most uncomfortable seat I've ever had. I ran the Persons on another bike I built a couple of years ago, and it wasn't too bad, but the undercarriage was lousy. So basically I took the seat from the Persons and the Troxel undercarriage......

100_5313.jpg

The seat had some extra holes in it so I welded 'em up.

100_5315.jpg

Sanded it down and gun blued it. This is the finish "for now"

100_5331.jpg

I didn't really want to do this, but to get it down where I wanted it, I had to do two chop jobs. First, the seat post...

100_5327.jpg

And second, a "slight" modification to the Troxel undercarriage :mrgreen:

100_5330.jpg

I then welded some brackets to the frame, and drilled some holes through the back of the undercarriage. Then bolted it down!

100_5333.jpg

The front of the seat pan just rests on top of the frame. I haven't ridden it like this yet, but I sat on it and wiggled around and it's pretty squishy. I THINK it will work, guess I'll know soon! :roll: But I'll say one thing, I got it down where I wanted it!! :mrgreen:

100_5336.jpg

Re: -ROLAND- DIY Chainguard July 3

After looking at the bike mocked up, I decided it needed a chainguard....which I normally never use. I always liked the old Columbia chainguards. I was winning an AWESOME one on Ebay the other day, but got sniped on it. :x So I thought dangit, I'll just make my OWN chainguard. Ha!

I found these old steel cabinet doors in the dumpster the other day. They were originally white, and had been painted over with a brush. They turned out to be PERFECT...20-22 gauge, and must be cheap steel because they were buttery soft. Perfect for forming!

rolandstuff047.jpg

And soon one of them got reduced to this :mrgreen:

rolandstuff059.jpg

I had a set of spears off a late 50's Caddy that I was going to use on the tank before I changed ideas. I had been racking my brain on them because I REALLY wanted one on this bike. So I started by cutting the side off the door and mounting it up.

rolandstuff048.jpg

I used more cabinet door-edge (because it was already flanged and the right thickness) and made a perimeter for the chainguard

rolandstuff051.jpg

Looking sharp!

rolandstuff055.jpg

Then made the panel to go around the sprocket. Hard to tell from the pic but I radiused the opening for strength and looks.

rolandstuff056.jpg

Then I welded in two more panels to fill it out, and went crazy with the hole saw. Also, I got brave and decided to put my welds out there for the world to see. No small feat on 22 gauge steel with a MIG. :roll: Proof that I built it :mrgreen: gotta love that DIY aesthetic.

rolandstuff057.jpg

Now all I have to do is mount it up! I think I'll spray it with some vinegar so the welds rust a little. Now I have a place for some stickers and stripes 8) 8) 8)

Re: -ROLAND- DIY Caddy chainguard July 3

Chainguard has a kind of Eskimo fish painting vibe to it... cool.

That is going to look wicked. I can't wait to see it on the bike.

The chain guard is awesome. I hope you are not going to grind down the welds. They have alot of character and add to the build. I think you may have to use my seat mounting idea to secure the front of the seat to the top tube. I think it's going to roll around while you are riding and may break loose at the rear attachment point. The split tube can attached to the top tube with a self tapper or a 1" cable clamp if you want to remove in the future for repairs or whatever. Otherwise just weld the hinge to the top tube. Keep up the great work. I like what you are doing, very creative.

Thanks for the feedback everybody. At this point all the major fab work is pretty much done, with the exception of the tank. I can't believe I only have THREE WEEKS :shock: to finish the tank, stripe the bike, and finish up the detail work!! It's gonna be reeaaallllyyy tight. :roll:

Oh Snap I just got my "Ace in the Hole" all lined up. :mrgreen: You guys are gonna be sooooo jealous. Time to bring the pain 8) 8) 8)

Back