RRB Build Off 11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there's always the style of build I tend to, and that is "tinker time", meaning I do a little every chance I get, and if I can bend, grind, or some other way, modify something I already have, then that's less I have to spend to get it to look the way I want... I don't have the big bucks for fabricating and paint, but I ride my bikes too and I'm never done tweaking them.

Carl.
That's pretty much how I do it, and that's what I'll keep doing for the most part. Gonna make a trip to the junk yard for this one, but other than that I have everything I need.

I will build the one I planned on in a few months, there are some flaws in my design that need tweaking. But for now I think I'm onto something good for this build off.

I was under the impression build off 11 was to be a "gender change" theme - but reading this thread that's not the case?
images

The annual Build Off typically doesn't have any theme. I think you may have gotten confused with someone's post asking if anyone wanted to join them in a gender change sub build off.

I was under the impression build off 11 was to be a "gender change" theme - but reading this thread that's not the case?
images
All build offs are gender change at my shop. :21:

As of now, I don't think I'll be in this year. I'm just finishing up a $2,500 build for the OBC show, and I've got a couple of half-built bikes that I want to focus on. We'll see how it goes. I've been in it every year since I joined this site, placing a little better each year.

As of now, I don't think I'll be in this year. I'm just finishing up a $2,500 build for the OBC show, and I've got a couple of half-built bikes that I want to focus on. We'll see how it goes. I've been in it every year since I joined this site, placing a little better each year.

I sure hope that you find time to get a BO build in. I always look forward to your builds whether they are part of the BO's or otherwise. Been following your Dayton Columbia build. Is that your OBC build or is a different secret build going to be unveilled? Either way, good luck at OBC and hope to see you in BO11.

Gathering some parts right now, but it's going to be difficult to hold off with the saw/grinding wheel until the 1st. I have two forks and several frames to play with, so who knows where this could lead?
The parts gathering is one of my favorite parts, I have an idea but it could change if I find a different fork or handlebar.

The parts gathering is one of my favorite parts, I have an idea but it could change if I find a different fork or handlebar.
I've got two handlebars that seem like good prospects, but if neither look/feel quite right, I'm willing to go a different route. I think I'm going to repurpose the frame from my MBBO ride that I didn't finish in time. I had some mods that I wanted to make to the rear triangle, and this time, I think I'll have time to pull them off. Plus, I've fallen over twice trying to get off of that bike because I forget it's got that huge sissybar that I can't swing my leg over.

Been following your Dayton Columbia build. Is that your OBC build or is a different secret build going to be unveilled? Either way, good luck at OBC and hope to see you in BO11.
The Dayton/Columbia can't be his OBC build, the OBC builders must keep their bikes secret until the event apart from only small teaser pics.
Been following along as best I can, and I have no idea what anyone is building, but there will be some awesome bikes! I hope Deven does well! :thumbsup:

Luke.

All build offs are gender change at my shop. :21:
Ren Man, I have thought more than twice about converting my Spaceliner that highlights the firepit in the back 40.....were you able to get your 700c wheels in that frame without modification? Can't remember...

Ren Man, I have thought more than twice about converting my Spaceliner that highlights the firepit in the back 40.....were you able to get your 700c wheels in that frame without modification? Can't remember...
The 700c wheels did fit in the frame without any mods, but it was a Columbia frame. I would think that it would still work on a Murray frame also.

By rough calculation, it looks like it's possible that you might be able to fit a 700c with a tire under 38 (I measured just under 350mm holding a ruler from the axle to the brake bridge of a Spaceliner, which means about 700mm of total diameter available, minus 622mm for a 700c gives you about 78mm or 39mm of tire sidewall, but with the inaccuracies of me measuring at an angle from the dropout because I am too lazy to remove the 26" wheel already installed, the wonkiness of advertised measurements from the manufacturer, their reliance on the variable width of the rim to determine the actual height, and that I might not know what I'm doing, I probably wouldn't want to exceed a 35).

By rough calculation, it looks like it's possible that you might be able to fit a 700c with a tire under 38 (I measured just under 350mm holding a ruler from the axle to the brake bridge of a Spaceliner, which means about 700mm of total diameter available, minus 622mm for a 700c gives you about 78mm or 39mm of tire sidewall, but with the inaccuracies of me measuring at an angle from the dropout because I am too lazy to remove the 26" wheel already installed, the wonkiness of advertised measurements from the manufacturer, their reliance on the variable width of the rim to determine the actual height, and that I might not know what I'm doing, I probably wouldn't want to exceed a 35).
Is it weird that I completely understand what you just said? :21:

Been lurking but knew seeing it was cooling down (Aussie winter)
this was due, could someone remind me when this kicks off....

Thank you..............
May 1.....Which comes about 12 hours earlier for you than it does here in the Northern US of A...so you will technically get a head start! But then have to finish early as well.

Latest posts

Back