RRB Build Off 11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May 1.....Which comes about 12 hours earlier for you than it does here in the Northern US of A...so you will technically get a head start! But then have to finish early as well.

Thanks oddJob I'm in if she allows me the time!

Have I already said how excited I am for this Build Off? It feels good to have a plan that will produce a bike I think anyone here would be proud to be seen on, but more importantly, I'LL be proud to be seen on it!! There's only one thing of my build that I'm having trouble with, but I'll reveal that when the time is right. Everything else is gold! Gold I say!! GOLD!!!

Last edited:
Thanks to some of the earlier posts in this thread I've figured out a way to incorporate eleven into my build. Looks like I'm in. I've got parts on the way. (and a lot more to find).

I've got parts on the way. (and a lot more to find).
Same here, and I bought a very cool non bicycle part today at a flea market that I'm stoked about!

I sure hope that you find time to get a BO build in. I always look forward to your builds whether they are part of the BO's or otherwise. Been following your Dayton Columbia build. Is that your OBC build or is a different secret build going to be unveilled? Either way, good luck at OBC and hope to see you in BO11.

As Luke stated, that's not it. I do plan on bringing the Dayton/Columbia, and riding it some of the time, but the OBC Builder's Challenge bike has been kept secret until the show next weekend. I just took it for its first test ride today, with mixed results. I've got tomorrow and Wednesday to finish it up. It's going to be a cool bike, but I don't expect to win anything, as it's a clean, kind of simple build, and that show likes their bikes flashy.

about rules ... is it alowed to start building my wheel set ? start chopping my doner frames apart for tubings ?
as i am a poor man , and some will just buy these parts/materials iam thinking it would be fair right ? no? maybe ?
(not talking about fitting tubes and mocking up things) (their is no fun cheating) (just filling a parts pile)

It's your conscience man, only you know if you're cheating.
I've always thought, if it feels like cheating, it is....
Me? I've got everything I need to build my back wheel and I'm waiting.

Carl.

about rules ... is it alowed to start building my wheel set ? start chopping my doner frames apart for tubings ?
as i am a poor man , and some will just buy these parts/materials iam thinking it would be fair right ? no? maybe ?
(not talking about fitting tubes and mocking up things) (their is no fun cheating) (just filling a parts pile)
Like they say in the Mafia, "It's only illegal if you get caught". The way I see it, many people will be starting with already built wheels and even some frames that have been chopped up. I guess as long as you don't start building the actual bike, ie, welding the frame mounting the wheels, painting... you should be good. I have a frame that's been chopped up for months, does that mean I can't use it? Just don't start building it.

Last edited:
I have yet to cut, sand, or put a wrench to anything yet. That's not to say I may or may not have leaned a few parts up against each other, or finger-tightened/loosened some fasteners to see if I was on the right track, or needed to add anything to the parts list. ;)

Carl.
the thing is i don't consider it cheating , but i ask just in case some consider it is , don't want to be disqualified in my fisrt ever buildoff participation ...

RFbt.jpg

Virtual mockup... frame, forks n rear tire are a go. Rear triangle probably not,
this front wheel, no. Might as well stretch it while I'm at it. Rock n Roll Fast.

Carl.

BTW, This pic originally was one of the mockups for the ORBO.
But I didn't end up using this frame.

Last edited:

Carl.

The anticipation is a lot of fun. Gets that kid before Christmas excitement going.

Having everything ready for a wheel would be a tough one. I try not to order spokes until the start of a BO.

Hopefully fondling parts is grey area...:D...caught myself wiping grease off of something but stopped myself before I got the lemon pledge out.

We're all getting a new bike!...:)

Hadn't planned on participating this year but I picked up this Elgin set of bones today. Maybe in now come May.
72315131de902c00bcd62f09f21f3334.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back