RRBO4 POLL

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the next build off allow frame modifications?

• Create Two Classes

Votes: 34 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 35 40.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 18 20.7%

• Total voters

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Trying to determine whether we should allow frame modifications in the next build off.

In the past three build offs frame modifications were not allowed.

I like the rules as they were in the last 3 and should be going forward. Save the frame mods for the informal buildoffs.

I think some of the discussion in the past about allowing frame modifications included concern that folks with access to high end welding equipment and lot's of welding experience could walk away with it every time.

There was also the idea that trying to be creative with a stock frame was more true to hot rodding than building a total custom frame like they do on the chopper websites.

personally im with cman....as many nonoffical build off as there have been save the anything goes for those and keep the rrbbo's non cut and weld(this always encourages guys that dont have access to welders/cutting tools and/or metalworking skills to join in and throw down and not feel intimidated).......just my $.01 but im staying out of this one so i guess my opinion doesnt matter too much :lol:
just remember its all about having fun and creating something cool not the trophys or number of votes :wink:

i like the past builds, but not everyone can budget making multiples of bikes, i think two categories allows others to build the bike they want and still be apart of the build off, and limits the toes from being stepped on for the traditional builders. this place is growing and i don't see why the build-off shouldn't too.

I like the the no frame modification rule, keeps it fair, keeps it "grassroots".

well...if you do go 2 builds why not make the custom build a real custom build where you have to make everything(except for hardware, chainring,bearings,crank, and chain from scratch) just start out with a headtube, drop outs, and b.b. thatd level the playing field and make for some interesting builds :mrgreen:

if we dont all start with the exact same bike, in the exact same condition, how can this build off be fair?

its about having fun.

how can having better tools/skills be any less fair than having a better donour bike.

i mean who's gonna win, the guy with a found in the dumpster 2001 mountain bike frame (which he's not allowed to modify) or the guy with the 1930's cherry schwinn he's customizing?

if anything, i think this will even the playing field.

find me a rat rod car that hasn't had its frame z-ed or the body chopped/lowered. its a huge part of rat rodding.

count me in for anything goes.
all you neh sayers are just scccccared (type in pirate type growl) :p :) :p

totally depends on the donor bike i can find. might even go all original. but i do think a donor bike is required in some way.
to keep the rat rod theme (use what ya got)

i'm not saying 'll use a modified frame, but i think the option should be open to those that might wish to. let the big boys play
i ain't affraid of competition, i mean its not like the entry fee is going to break the bank account. :)

i like keeping it with no frame mods cuz it starts everyone on relatively the same form and you get to see what you come up with based off of that similar shape
keep the frame mods for either a special build or an unlimited/ outlaw class

i don't know what you guys are affraid of?
look at all the peeps that want no frame modifications in the build. when it comes to voting time, don't ya think the votes may also go this way. everybody has there opinion what a rat rod bike is. i'm sure you'll vote based on this opinion (to some degree)

i'm not so big on this "i've lost, before i've even started" attitude. thought you guys and girls were better than that. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

what happened to go! fight! win!
down with the man!
never surrender?
:)

(edit* please don't take offence. i mean this all in fun. just trying to get ya all in the competitive mode)
i'll be playing either way.

btw its leigh

How about a real limited frame mod say a gender swap, it'd be a shame to keep some of those out there's been some real good ones done here.

I don't weld, but I think a gender swap keeps the frame style intact while allowing greater creativity, no worse than adding brake bosses etc in my view. Keeps the cost of getting frames down too, as the ladies frames seem to go cheap which is part of teh original purpose.

Give the guys who WELD 1 month to finish there bikes and the BOLT on's 2 months to get theres done! And i think the voting build off bikes should be done before summer so they can be ridden through the summer not into the fall. my opinion

I think everyone for the most part is pretty cool when it comes to these build offs, but unfortunately, the competitive side of folks can rear it's ugly head sometimes.

I'm the one who ends up having to deal with it, usually behind the scenes and have to make the call on stuff.

Some of these guys get pretty serious about it and invest a lot of time and effort into winning.

Whether that's the right thing to do or not, I don't know, it just seems to happen in every competition.

Rat Rod said:
I think everyone for the most part is pretty cool when it comes to these build offs, but unfortunately, the competitive side of folks can rear it's ugly head sometimes.

I'm the one who ends up having to deal with it, usually behind the scenes and have to make the call on stuff.

Some of these guys get pretty serious about it and invest a lot of time and effort into winning.

Whether that's the right thing to do or not, I don't know, it just seems to happen in every competition.

that truely is unfortunate. this should be all about inspiring one another. so much talent on this board (be it bike restoration,modification or customization) i've noticed how these buildoff's inspire so many others to share a passion for cool bicycles. its clearly evident in the build off inspired posts we see so many of. it would be shame to put limitations on on such brilliant creativity.

icyuod2 said:
i don't know what you guys are affraid of?
look at all the peeps that want no frame modifications in the build. when it comes to voting time, don't ya think the votes may also go this way. everybody has there opinion what a rat rod bike is. i'm sure you'll vote based on this opinion (to some degree)

i'm not so big on this "i've lost, before i've even started" attitude. thought you guys and girls were better than that. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

what happened to go! fight! win!
down with the man!
never surrender?
:)

Endevour to persevere!

In some respects the category can help sort that out. heavy frame mods aren't going to help in a klunker build off, but might in a chopper build.....i wouldn't worry, it's just as likely someone can come up with a hideous scratch-built frame as it is a prize winner. at the lower end of the mod scale i've seen faux prewar dropouts and iver style trusses that were modest changes but very effective.... just a matter of taste when it's all said and done- no points are automatically awarded for time or expense. you might have a flash of genius everybody appreciates that only takes an afternoon, or you might spend months fabricating something nobody else 'gets' :)

thats why im staying out of the 'official' build offs......just seems like to many people get offended when theyre bikes dont get as many votes as they think they should and it just looses the fun after looking at 4 pages of.......well this bike,and they cant, i did this, thats not a rat, thats modified,and so on and so on :roll:
as for me saying that you should build a frame from scratch..i think thats a perfectly reasonable thing(never said you couldnt use tubing from a frame/s just has to start off as tubing is all i was saying) but thats just my suggestion....
heck ive done heavily modded bikes before where theres only about 5 things left untouched but i wouldnt call it a custom
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5881
it started out as a factory frame so thatd be out before it began :mrgreen:
btw if anyone wants to send me some tubing id be happy join in on a full custom build and post it in the bike build section and have it done by the deadline :mrgreen:

sensor said:
thats why im staying out of the 'official' build offs......just seems like to many people get offended when theyre bikes dont get as many votes as they think they should and it just looses the fun after looking at 4 pages of.......well this bike,and they cant, i did this, thats not a rat, thats modified,and so on and so on :roll:
and have it done by the deadline :mrgreen:

i got a perfect fix/ie change of rules.

rule number 1..... if your not having fun, your disqualified. :p

(if its a slow week, we can vote on members fun levels. :lol: )
sweet ride btw, followed it for a while

Back