RRBO4 POLL

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the next build off allow frame modifications?

• Create Two Classes

Votes: 34 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 35 40.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 18 20.7%

• Total voters
cman said:
icyuod2 said:
mountain bike frame-doesn't stand a chance,
While I respect your opinion as the "no mod" rule cramps one's creative style, I think it can actually expand your style. The bike below is an example of this.

Tikikarl's Black and Tan bike is one of my favs. One simple change to the MTB frame that changed the whole look to the bike.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5363&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=black+tan

yeah cman, i've always loved that one. its very stylish.

you gotta remember up here in canada, thats a $110 brooks saddle, $100 worth of tires and probably a $200 springer front end (if your lucky enough to find an old bike with a springer front end.) and theres still bars, rims,pedals, etc to deal with.
even if i order from ebay, then we get gooned with taxes,brokerage fees,duty, shipping etc. not to mention alot of american's wont ship to canada, so the selection is drasticly limited (for fun search set item on both ebay.com and ebay.ca) ya usually get about 1/5 of the hits that are available to canadians.

we dont see those huffies, or columbias ya seem to find so cheaply.
even if i wanted to (at the present time) i couldn't afford to mimic that bike, it would break the bank.
the playing field really isn't as even as you think.

big pocket book, welding/brazzing equipment, (modded frame) i think he cheated! (no i don't, i'm just razzin)
love the bike, ya did a wicked job tikikarl.
:) :p :)

I think a traditional rat bike build off (stock frame) should be a staple of RatRodBikes as an annual build off for years to come.
But, as has occurred, special build offs have happened. Lets have an Anything Human Powered Goes BO.
AHPGBO, Rules are: Must be human powered, no motor,and must transport an adult safely.

Invite the fabricators, the inventors, the craftsman, to show us how , to share their knowledge, to create some of these wild contraption in the BO threads.
But keep it simple.

CCR said:
i like the past builds, but not everyone can budget making multiples of bikes, i think two categories allows others to build the bike they want and still be apart of the build off, and limits the toes from being stepped on for the traditional builders. this place is growing and i don't see why the build-off shouldn't too.
I'm with CCR. I recently bought my first welder, and chopped my first bike, and it was rad. And yeah, there are the chopper/freakbike sites, but I prefer a more traditional stretched look than a full custom chopper, and this place is home for me...

Hey dont listen to CCR he'll steer you the wrong way... and he cheats, he doesnt build his own bikes he has chimichanga build them! :shock: :lol: :wink:

jon said:
Hey dont listen to CCR he'll steer you the wrong way... and he cheats, he doesnt build his own bikes he has chimichanga build them! :shock: :lol: :wink:

i wish, i couldnt afford the shipping.... besides, everyone knows Bobbachops builds my bikes for me :mrgreen:

Since there is no voting catagory for "I'm game for anything" and the likelyhood of me actually finishing a project is slim. I'll vote for "Make two classes" as that seems the most fair since it's all fun and games.

I love the black and tan too, but am I missing something? Isn't that frame modified? Adding a bar to it seems like a modification to me? But I have to admit I don't really know the rules to the build-offs so that may be allowed as a non-modified.I also probably shouldn't be interjecting in these conversations because I haven't participated in a build-off either. But it seems like adding something to a frame that wasn't there originally is a modification.
I'll now wait for the backlash to this question.

I know that bobbachops guy he's an awsome bike builder!

englishwheeler said:
I love the black and tan too, but am I missing something? Isn't that frame modified? Adding a bar to it seems like a modification to me? But I have to admit I don't really know the rules to the build-offs so that may be allowed as a non-modified.I also probably shouldn't be interjecting in these conversations because I haven't participated in a build-off either. But it seems like adding something to a frame that wasn't there originally is a modification.
I'll now wait for the backlash to this question.

Frame wasn't CUT......The complete ORIGINAL frame is still intact.

RRBO have now become a "Tradition"..........That's what makes this site Unique!.....STOCK frame build offs.

Uni-burrito!

Whatever the traditional rrbo's were before this, is my vote.
With extra build offs during the year. I liked it when one group were working on Spaceliner frames. We should have smaller build offs like Balloon tire cruiser. What can you do with a diamond frame 10speed or an English woman's 3speed (no frame changes.) Then another for burrittos, stretch and tall bike (welding required.) And then one for tandems or trikes.

2 classes might be a lot of FUN. Some of the frame mods on this sight are wicked cool. I would like to see those guys realy go after it! Can you imagine if they were compeating aginst each other? I mean I may not be able to play but I would love to watch!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think frame modifications is almost a essential part of hot rodding and rat rodding. Whether it be bikes, cars or whatever. It looks like about 60% of the people would like to allow it whether it is one class or two. I understand that a lot of people don't have the tools to make modifications but, to not allow it on a rat rod build seems kinda wrong. Its like telling the guys and gals that they can only add, subtract or exchange parts on a 32 ford build. Where is the chopping, channeling, frenching and z'd frames? These builds should challenge people to develop new skills. I know the members here are willing to help out in any way they can. If someone wants to come over and notch a tube or weld a frame I would be happy to have them. It gets lonely out in that garage! With all that said I voted for the two class build off. I know some folks want/need to keep it the frame stock for reasons previously mentioned in this thread.

No cars on mars said:
Whatever the traditional rrbo's were before this, is my vote.
With extra build offs during the year. I liked it when one group were working on Spaceliner frames. We should have smaller build offs like Balloon tire cruiser. What can you do with a diamond frame 10speed or an English woman's 3speed (no frame changes.) Then another for burrittos, stretch and tall bike (welding required.) And then one for tandems or trikes.

+1

Easy E

I like to see chopped up or built from scratch bikes as much as the next guy/gal but there is generally another site doing an anything goes build-off. Like CBN and now FBN and several European sites. I think having the no frame mods rule sets this sites build-offs apart from others and makes it more challenging.

But if there is no voting I don't even see the purpose of a build off :cry:

And just to be safe... this is all IMHO :D

I don't get on here as often as I'd like, but I still enjoy seeing what talent goes into a stock frame build. I love the custom bike hobby no matter what mods can or can't be done but I'd really hate to see the Traditional RRBBO change to allow "anything goes".
When Steve started this site it filled a gap that was drastically needed. He drew members from the stock/resto hobby as well as the CBNers, Freaks and Zombies. This is a site that brings many tastes together. Many of the members on here visit the other custom bike sites and are regular members. It's only natural that they want to bring their skills and ideas with them. So I can kinda understand why they feel a need to change things around here, but changing this site too much just makes it another custom bike site. I'd like to see RRB stay true to its origins.

Kota wrote .... "So WE have sites we can go to for FULL custom build offs!.......Try going there and talking them into a STOCK bike build off." :mrgreen:
Might be kinda cool though! Many of our guys have some very nice stock bikes. But then many of you guys know that!

RatRod Bikes are always welcomed on our site and in our Galleries. We feel that RRB and Atomic Zombies are a major part of our being and I graciously offer up links to both websites on the FBN site as well as at our Info booths at shows and events.

So after all this babbling .... I voted NO, but I see the need for many of you to want something different.
Thanks,
Chainy

Chainsaw said:
I don't get on here as often as I'd like, but I still enjoy seeing what talent goes into a stock frame build. I love the custom bike hobby no matter what mods can or can't be done but I'd really hate to see the Traditional RRBBO change to allow "anything goes".
When Steve started this site it filled a gap that was drastically needed. He drew members from the stock/resto hobby as well as the CBNers, Freaks and Zombies. This is a site that brings many tastes together. Many of the members on here visit the other custom bike sites and are regular members. It's only natural that they want to bring their skills and ideas with them. So I can kinda understand why they feel a need to change things around here, but changing this site too much just makes it another custom bike site. I'd like to see RRB stay true to its origins.

Kota wrote .... "So WE have sites we can go to for FULL custom build offs!.......Try going there and talking them into a STOCK bike build off." :mrgreen:
Might be kinda cool though! Many of our guys have some very nice stock bikes. But then many of you guys know that!

RatRod Bikes are always welcomed on our site and in our Galleries. We feel that RRB and Atomic Zombies are a major part of our being and I graciously offer up links to both websites on the FBN site as well as at our Info booths at shows and events.

So after all this babbling .... I voted NO, but I see the need for many of you to want something different.
Thanks,
Chainy

whens the next Parton Pixie buildoff Chainy? lol I am ready!

Boardtrack fan said:
I think frame modifications is almost a essential part of hot rodding and rat rodding. Whether it be bikes, cars or whatever. Where is the chopping, channeling, frenching and z'd frames?

thats my mind set exactly! when i think rat rod, these are the things that come to mind. not a custom or hot rod, but a ratty, use what ya got to make what ya need, get it on the road as soon as possible, on going project.

this is the place for me. i dont build customs, i chop up old bikes and build rat rods. (like many of the members here)
i'm note voting for change, i love this place, but frame mods do seem to be a large part of rrb.

i just thought it would cool to see what members would do if they were left entirely to there own devices (no rules)
not all the time, but i thought it would be nice to see at least one build off that embraces/includes all members of the forum.
(every 4th build off for example could be an anything goes)
how better to find out exactly what rat rodding means to each of us? (the finished bike would tell the tale)
1 anything goes build off every 4 years isn't gonna change this place any more than the evolution of the forum we see each day.
i think having 2 classes would eventually divide the group into those that do and those that don't mod frames. thats certainly not what i want for this forum.

so its all or nothin for me. anything goes or keep it the same as the last 3.

Latest posts

Back