SA Kickback vs. Bendix Kickback

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't ridden on a SA yet, but I have several Bendix. The biggest difference is that the SA is an overdrive (low gear=1:1 ratio) and the Bendix is an underdrive (low=.67:1). The high gear on the SA is 1.25:1 vs Bendix's high of 1:1. This is easily compensated for by going to a smaller front sprocket.

I have three yellow bands on different bikes and I love them. Do they still make new bendix kickback ? They are what got me back into bikes as I had one as a kid. I'm looking at buying a sa for a new project.

Does the Bendix have a coaster brake built in? I just ordered a non-coaster brake SA S2 because I want to freewheel over bumps without inadvertantly applying the brake.

Bendix 2 speeds had coaster brakes, also just making sure you knew the new sturmey brakeless hub is a 32 hole hub i believe, while the coaster brake version is 36 hole.

Thanks. Good to know. Got 2 new S2Cs and 1 S2 sitting at home now. No rims for them yet.

Direct delivery from Sturmey Archer. :D
168598_188324787860182_100000479859400_665525_7322778_n.jpg

CCR said:
Bendix 2 speeds had coaster brakes, also just making sure you knew the new sturmey brakeless hub is a 32 hole hub i believe, while the coaster brake version is 36 hole.

I checked my brakeless S2. It's a 36 hole.

Back