Schwinn Drop Out - Finished, just need to take some pics.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really hate to see the top tube get covered with that tank. One of my favorite parts of the frame is where the chain stays pass in front of the seat tube and connect to the top tube.
48d530a5695f6905d9ba7ebf64d4fe8a.jpg

Have you tried hanging the tank under the top tube?
Now that you mention it, I've been trying to decide how much of the back of the tank I'm going to trim off. That junction of the seatstays to the top tube is one of my favorite bits, too.
EDIT: The front portion of that tank has a great flow, but gets unattractively square in the last five inches or so. I'm thinking that I'm going to cut notches in the sides to accommodate the seatstays, and then trim the top and bottom back to where I can shape/weld them to get the contour right.
The sides of the tank angle in at the bottom. The shape is really very sympathetic to my triangular-ish headlight.

Last edited:
Have you tried hanging the tank under the top tube?
I just realized my failure to address this part of your earlier reply. I did look at hanging it below, as well as using it as a third bar between the seatpost and the downtube, but that all got pretty funky-lookin'.

As Captain Lincoln F. Stern once said: "I've got an angle."

sweet Heavy Metal reference...
cool bike too.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

sweet Heavy Metal reference...
cool bike too.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...
I'm glad that somebody recognized it.
I spent today grinding and sanding, smoothing everything to get ready for installing the tank. Once it's finished, I can start filling, priming and sanding some more.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Catching up on this one.
Love the addition of the tank. It's gonna flow well with the frame and with the vibe of your build.
You definitely need to buy more hacksaw blades though.

Catching up on this one.
Love the addition of the tank. It's gonna flow well with the frame and with the vibe of your build.
You definitely need to buy more hacksaw blades though.
I'll put them on the shopping list.
I'm calling an audible and making the tank a bolt-on. I figure anybody can weld something on and mold it with filler. My talent is fitting things together that started out somewhere else, so I'm going to play to my strengths.

Thought you'd get a kick out of this old wish book pic of a bike with your tank on it.
It R-R-ROARS like a hot rod

convert.jpg

That's awesome. So, are those Ross-built bikes?

I really don't know. Most of Sears stuff from that era was Murray built, I believe, but who knows.

The red "convertible" bike with the faux-engine is a Murray...check the rear drop-outs!
Yeah, you're right. And I as I go back and look at the pic again, the tank looks like it's got flatter sides than mine. Looking at it from the front, mine is like an upside-down pyramid with the points knocked off of it. I'm guessing the bike that my tank came off of was a knock-off of that Murray convertible.

Even without the bondo that is looking sick!!!!
Love this frame!!

Tank work looks good!

I am a little worried by your rear triangle design, looks like it could sag if it hit a big bump as it is not actually a triangle but has 4 sides. Depends on what you weigh and how you ride it though!

Either rotating the chainstays up until they are straight to the rear drops or adding braces from the seat clamp area down to the bends in the chain stays would solve the issue, if it is one.

Just trying to help...

Luke.

Back