Sellers and texting.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I belong to Offerup and Letgo selling apps. I like them both but whats with people not wanting to talk by phone? Have lost out on several deals because the person will not give their number or call mine.When you ask them to call that breaks all contact.

I been after this WF since last nite . Cant post pic cause keep getting Tapatalk has stopped.

Last night me........You still have bike? no reply

This morn again....Still have? One minute later..Yes I do still have bike.

Me....I am interested please call me at xxx xxx xxxx or give me your number....no further replies

Maybe they will call but I doubt it. This happens a lot and I am not making any trip without speaking to a human. The moment you ask to talk thats it, deal is over.If you can text or message you can talk on a phone. If anyone can explain people to me please do.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's happends to me before too. I sell/buy on ebay, 5miles and people don't want to talk on the phone. I think is because in this days people don't want to give their phone numbers to strangers ??? I don't really know, but is like that. Regards,David.

Enviado desde mi SM-N910T mediante Tapatalk

I can speak from a buyers view.... I have to try and respect that I'm not the only person trying contact them. Also being from the net, who know how many are and how many have wasted their time. I try be direct with sellers, I generally won't ask for any discount on first contact or if is a volume dealer. In LA it can be hard for me to even get an idea where a bike is located sometimes, it's not a small area to cover and that can turn me off from a deal ENTIERLY, but need play the game a bit. Generally once a seller sees I'm serious if not a bit strange, they tend to treat me with the same respect, and also seem releaved when I'm waiting and nod that, beleave me I understand.
Some sellers are just trying sell something for $20-30... How mutch of there time is that worth, spread out over how many callers.

Now calling a listed contact that presents its self as a "shop" answers his cell phone and is in a rush and impatient, that's my beef... Don't try catalog thousands of parts and not be capable of servicing a customer.... That's 100% not my fault or issue, that's a seller who's buissness is not set up or ready to operate.

I go out of my way to try and sell by responding promptly etc. I wont ignore anyone.By talking direct I can tell who I am dealing with in most cases. It just boggles me when you ask for their number OR offer yours they instantly disappear and you never hear another word.Looking at their FB page also helps size up the person.

I tend to do most of my deals via text, but i'll go with email or phone calls if that's the preference of the other party. (I do more buying than selling, btw...) As far as i can tell, anyone who is reluctant to give out their phone number or email address is probably not really trying to do the deal, and that sort of paranoia kinda makes me paranoid--- if they don't want to speak/text/email, what kinda scam are they cookin' up?

I've found that local CL folks seem to think that emails are automatic scams, so I ALWAYS put my phone number, with a local area code, in the first email, to show them that i'm a real bike buyer, and not a Nigerian Prince with a scam to run.

The last bike i got off CL-- a trike for my SO team-- i did the whole deal in text with an old-timer, who was really good with it and the whole deal went down super-easy. But, i get it that some folks are more comfortable with phone calls or emails, so i stay flexible.

I tend to do most of my deals via text, but i'll go with email or phone calls if that's the preference of the other party. (I do more buying than selling, btw...) As far as i can tell, anyone who is reluctant to give out their phone number or email address is probably not really trying to do the deal, and that sort of paranoia kinda makes me paranoid--- if they don't want to speak/text/email, what kinda scam are they cookin' up?

I've found that local CL folks seem to think that emails are automatic scams, so I ALWAYS put my phone number, with a local area code, in the first email, to show them that i'm a real bike buyer, and not a Nigerian Prince with a scam to run.

The last bike i got off CL-- a trike for my SO team-- i did the whole deal in text with an old-timer, who was really good with it and the whole deal went down super-easy. But, i get it that some folks are more comfortable with phone calls or emails, so i stay flexible.
Agreed as a buyer I tend try be as open and available as I can also hope for "respectful/professional" first interaction.... As @Corykip can vouch, ohhhh it's a good thing cause I'm generally not who the seller assumes they will be dealing with.
I can't tell you how many sellers will circle a lot debating if I can possibly be the buyer when they finally see me..:rofl:

*Also timezones are a huge issue for me.. I lost a bunch of regular schedule last week dealing with bikes at really odd hours. It took it to accommodate the deal early morning east coast is crazy late west... Suffer for style... It's a lifestyle!!!!

Last edited:
I think that any transaction should be mutually beneficial to both buyer and seller. I've seen a lot of posts here and elsewhere on the internet that seem to indicate that one side feels the other side "owes" them something, like they're doing a favor in selling or buying these items... really, a sale should occur when the buyer wants the item and the seller wants to trade it for a fair price, right? So, i try to be helpful and respectful on either side of the transaction; all i ask in return is honesty in describing/listing the item, and fairness when negotiating price. Too many ppl will wait til the point-of-sale, and then start tossing lowball offers.... rudest possible move, in my book. I'd rather you didn't even show up.

A girl on Letgo had a barstool we asked about. Same senario text, text. Took her days to respond. Would not give any contact info or item details only that she still had. 2 others I know contacted her and got the same results. That was a month ago and items are still listed.

Why does a potential buyer have to chase down a seller? I advertise to buy bikes on FB yard sale sites. I get lots of "I have one" and never hear another word. Its just crazy.

No word yet from the WF lady. No surprise.

I find that for every bike I sell, there are at least 10 people who call and want a bike.
Want you to hold it for them, want to meet next weekend...etc etc.
I don't mind that actually, but I'd rather be doing all those false starts via email or text than talking to a bunch of tire kickers.

Just takes more energy to talk to a bunch of different people. Super happy to talk on the phone though once the deal is lined up.

In my area you dont get 10 people wanting a bike.You get one every now and then wanting for nothing. I have 2 beach bikes @30 each now plastered all over FB and CL. Guess how much interest ive had? NONE. My rural area is a very poor place to sell bikes. Believe me that chick with the Western Flyer isnt being bombarded with interest.

Lol.. awsome reply....
But have you thought list them as strandi or 26" BMX maybe people don't know what they are missing cause don't think need a beach cruiser... A stomp around single speed may sound more interesting especially at that price!!! Every geared bike I get I swear I just end up giving away... It's amazing what a "term" or style call can bring $ value to the table. The buyer only knows it's as interesting as u make it

OK besides this, how do you like the apps, would u suggest one over the other regaurding features? I try not to play into many markets cause it gets burdensome to me... But I'd be interested in something beyond Craig's, I don't like doing Facebook really.

Offerup is ok. I bought couple things on there. It navigstes easier than Letgo. Heres the thing..I have had 0 interest in anything I have listed on both sites. Listed several bikes and household items too. I do better on FB yard sale sites honestly. Craigslist? Forget it. Around here its dead.

Just got a message thru Letgo...."product sold" She never acknowledged me after I showed interest and saying she still had.

Craigslist is great if you like dealing with meth heads, flakes and people who offer to mow your lawn for a year in exchange for whatever you're trying to sell.

Funny you should mention that... i'm always posting want-ads on CL lookin' for meth-heads who do yardwork in exchange for worn singlespeed chains.

Just got a message thru Letgo...."product sold" She never acknowledged me after I showed interest and saying she still had.

Yeah, some ppl suck. It never pays to take her bad manners and poor salesmanship (salespersonship?) personally. There'll be other Flightliners... (That WAS a nice price, though...)

Back