Should have done my homework

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to start this by saying this is any amazing forum and enjoy all the knowledge I get from it.

I want to make a post/warning to make sure you do your homework. Recently I made a bad trade and purchase with people on the forum. The only one to blame is myself but I guess you live and learn. Im new to bikes and unfortunately found out not everyone on here is as honest as they sound. Fortunately I did find some people that are great to learn from. Unfortunately that’s how I found out I got burned a couple times. In no way am I blaming the forum or 99.9% of the people on here. Just want to make sure the people getting into bikes know DO YOUR HOMEWORK. That applies to any purchases and to what you already own.

Man that's unfortunate, I always try to treat everyone fairly because happy customers are great advertising. And a repeat customer will never be bad for business.

Like the old saying goes, you can sheer a sheep many times, but skin them only once.

maybe they didn't know any more than you?? are you SURE they intentionally took advantage of you as a newbie?

If so that surprises me! most of the losers get weeded out fairly quickly it seems... have you talked to the admins about it?

outskirtscustoms said:
Man that's unfortunate, I always try to treat everyone fairly because happy customers are great advertising. And a repeat customer will never be bad for business.

Like the old saying goes, you can sheer a sheep many times, but skin them only once.

True True

Hey have you done anything with the bike i traded you? Im finally getting around to fixing up that 24" wasp. Im having a little problem finding the right size parts but got a guy helping me now. Im not sure why but a 24" fender does not match up from the frame to the rear tire. There is also a large gap on the front fork as well but i think that just needs something like a 1" spacer.

Also just got started on that Schwinn "Solar-wind" I bought from you.... Ill be posting a build when i get a little further.

scrumblero said:
maybe they didn't know any more than you?? are you SURE they intentionally took advantage of you as a newbie?

If so that surprises me! most of the losers get weeded out fairly quickly it seems... have you talked to the admins about it?

It happens i guess. It wasn't anything real major but just wanted to put something out there. I know the admins do everything they possibly can but its the internet. Personal i have a few email addresses and there is no way they ever could track me down if i opened up 3 or 4 user names. Im not sure the statistic but didnt they say like 25% of facebook accounts are fake people?

zombie7986 said:
outskirtscustoms said:

True True

Hey have you done anything with the bike i traded you? Im finally getting around to fixing up that 24" wasp. Im having a little problem finding the right size parts but got a guy helping me now. Im not sure why but a 24" fender does not match up from the frame to the rear tire. There is also a large gap on the front fork as well but i think that just needs something like a 1" spacer.

Also just got started on that Schwinn "Solar-wind" I bought from you.... Ill be posting a build when i get a little further.

Which bike was that again? Lol I've had so many since then it's hard to keep them straight. I might have some parts you need, I just recently parted a 24" Schwinn.

About half of what I buy is inaccurately described...

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Your not alone, I have been duped here more then once. However, considering the amount of buying, tradeing, and selling I have done here it is a very small percentage and I won't let it effect my trust in the site. I have just become more cautious with transactions and pay better attention to the feedback. Most of the time it happened it was with people that had no feedback and a low post count.
Problem is... Sometimes those new people have exactly what you have been looking for and you have to take the chance :D

As a moderator I read almost all the things posted here. That includes the stuff in the for sale section.
Not a lot of high dollar sales here. Most bike parts are worth what you are willing to pay for them. Its
not a true value deal. I bought a repop tank from a company for $25 ....I see them on Ebay all the time
for a hundred plus. If I had bought one for $140 shipped and then found out they cost $25 I might be mad.
If I bought a bike for $300 and then another member tells me its worth only $150 I might feel bad. In life
if you look you can always find the same thing for lots cheaper right after you buy one. If you have buyers
remorse then you shouldn't buy things to begin with. As with any hobby you will get stung a little before
you learn what this stuff is really worth. Just don't expect perfect 75 year old bike parts for $20. :wink:

+1 Stretch....

I think we've all been down the road of overpaying or not doing our homework. I know at swaps sometime, I'll see something I want and a price I "think" is fair, but I'll be the first to admit that I am not an expert on all things vintage bikes. Sometimes I'll try to do some quick research on my iPhone and other times I'll just decide it is worth the risk. I have made some amazing buys and I have also made some "not so amazing" buys. It's all part of the game I guess. I will say that most of the people I have dealt with on here have been straight up. Just be sure to ask LOTS of questions and be specific.

Bottom line is that you'll probably get burned a time or two, you'll probably make a bunch of mistakes along the way and you'll always regret that one bike you didn't buy or the one you wish you wouldn't have sold!

my #1 rule is when i purchace a part here is to check a guys sign up date. if hes been a member for a couple weeks or months i mite be cautious. if a guys been a RRB member for a year or 2 i really dought he'll ruin his standing in the community by robbin' another member.
andnow that there is the feedback i try to check that out also, but i always forget to do that :lol:

The problem i had was i made a trade that i got burned on. Also while i was there he had alot of other stuff and i got burned on that purchase too. I think im more mad at myself. Im getting better with bikes and if i knew what i knew now i would have just walked.

My main hope was to make sure the person saw this post and may think twice next time. Im not calling them out because it was a ton of money but the next person may not be as nice.

Sorry to waste any ones time. I actually never noticed the feedback numbers before. Ive noticed the joined date and looked on. Ill contact him and then if im not happy just leave negative feedback. This site is even better than i knew. Craigslist needs that..... have called #### people with ill be out there tomorrow to check it out and never showed up.

Are we talking Apples vs Oranges here?
For Example
I can buy a Bike at Walmart for 88.00 and ride down the street
I can buy another bike for 2500.00 because it is OLD
"BillyBobJoe Bike Rider" told me that the Bike at Walmart was a Rip off because It is Cheap Jap-Chin Junk
Wow I feel bad now! Did I really get ripped off?

I went to the movie the other day. I went to get a Coke, They gave me the SuperSize one (mostly ice ) for $3.25 There is no other place to buy a Coke. Did I get Ripped off ????

What did you get Ripped on? Did you buy a "Vintage" 1987 Schwinn Frame that was bent and welded back together. Rusted out neck? for $600.00?
Did you trade a 1953 Mint Schwinn Balloon Tire bike for a 2012 WalMart Bike with Racing Stripes and matching basket ?

I am not trying to be mean !
Just curious

I saw a guy at a gun show buy a double barrel shotgun for $250 and then took it to another
table and sold it for $2000. I asked if he felt like he took advantage of the guy he bought it from.
He said it wasn't his job to teach the guy how to price his stuff.
They say if your learning how to dance ,don't get mad if you get your toes stepped on. Also don't
blame the fact you don't know what your doing on your partner. :lol:

Just so everybody knows what is up here's pics of what was traded. Not dogging on the guy but these are the facts.
I got this old re-painted bike with no handlebars, spokes so rusty it was impossible to true the wheels and they needed to be re-laced, stem was badly bent and stuck in the fork, drop stand was missing, I sold it as it sat for $50
elgin001.jpg

elgin004.jpg

elgin002.jpg

elgin003.jpg

He got a customized Schwinn Wasp I assumed was a 24" due to how the 24" wheels fit. He says it was a 26" frame whether it is or not I can't be 100% but he said the 24" fenders he ordered didn't fit.
lowrider3010.jpg

And while here he also bought this frame and fork with all parts except wheels for $20 I said it was a Schwinn Solar wind due to the fact it had Schwinn grips, Schwinn bike shop decal on the seat tube, and the fork and stem looked identical to another bike I had that WAS a known Schwinn. He said it was NOT a Schwinn. I assumed it was. I don't know either way.

PB060148.jpg

Says "Ormond Schwinn Cyclery / Volusia Schwinn Cyclery Florida"
PB060160.jpg

PB070170.jpg

Here's the girl's Schwinn that had the same grips, stem, and fork. (THIS WAS NOT PART OF THE DEAL ONLY FOR COMPARISON)
P8240001.jpg

Still failing to see the point of this all.

I would do unspeakable things to any of those three bikes posted above before the chopper gods themselves. :lol:

Unless they were flat out misrepresented before the sale, i fail to see any wrong doing

Back