(Slammed Trike) doing the finishing touches...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sry, Purple Power, you can get it at auto parts stores or even Walmart. It's like Simple Green in that it's a water based "soap" and not acetone or whathaveyou but it's very basic like lye... dissolves the fat right out of your skin and you peel for days. Shouted few choice words today as I had a MINT red Sigino chainring setting next to my spray bottle of it, it dripped and pulled the anno right off.

Cool trike , my first trike was a disaster till I figured out the diff was locked...
the thing would just not turn.
I would have to wonder if the set screws will hold , you could carve a groove
in the axle for a woodruff key.
Mark

Do you think the two set screws will be enough to hold it for braking?
As bike junky says, something to bite into would be good, what I recommend is what we used to do on industrial (400lbs a load) washing machine lock rings, install the set screws nice and tight so the leave a mark on the axle in the right places, then release them and move the collar out of the way, centre punch the mark made by the set screws and just start a hole with a drill there, not deep, just enough so that the set screws will sit within the circle made by the drill bit.

Highly recommend that, it works extremely well. If you are still worried you can buy longer set screws that stick out above the collar and put lock nuts on them, of if they are short enough that they fit well inside the collar, screw another down on top to stop it backing out.

Luke.

As bike junky says, something to bite into would be good, what I recommend is what we used to do on industrial (400lbs a load) washing machine lock rings, install the set screws nice and tight so the leave a mark on the axle in the right places, then release them and move the collar out of the way, centre punch the mark made by the set screws and just start a hole with a drill there, not deep, just enough so that the set screws will sit within the circle made by the drill bit.

Highly recommend that, it works extremely well. If you are still worried you can buy longer set screws that stick out above the collar and put lock nuts on them, of if they are short enough that they fit well inside the collar, screw another down on top to stop it backing out.

Luke.
Dang Luke I was also thinking about the drill method too. Great minds think alike still .... :D

Though I will say that I would have gone deeper if you wouldn't of said what you said... Thanks Luke

Ok, my headlight just came today. Love the old school lantern, it even has an input power stud on the bottom.
The Headlight 1.jpg

The Headlight 2.jpg

The Headlight 3.jpg

How to bend steel rods where you want it to bend. Take a torch and heat the solid rod till it is at least a fairly bright red in color at the point of where you want the bend.

Note: This torch was sold as a weed burner, but works great at heating steel till it is red. This is due to its large burner head, about an 1-1/4" diameter across.
Torch 1.jpg

Here are the results you can get from it...
Truss%20Rod%203.jpg

Truss%20Rod%204.jpg

Truss%20Rod%205.jpg

Truss%20Rod%206.jpg

As you can see with a little heat and some carefulness you can bend up the truss rods fairly easy like. I still need to fab up a top mount point.

cool build man

Back