Springer Fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm working on doing a little work on a Typhoon and I am in search of a springer fork. I've been looking around for an old, used, one but they are scarce. I've run across some on the web that are super cheap-- is the quality of these decent? Is there anyone that is better or worse than the other? I'm just looking for suggestions as well as putting out the call for a used springer fork.

thanks

Did some searching around and found that the Monark Springer repops are not of the highest quality and seem to have some difficulty mating up to Schwinn frames. Guess that rules that one out-- which is a shame cause I like the look. Does anyone know about the quality of the generic chrome straight springers that are available around the web for like 30 bucks? Seems mighty cheap.

It's the old "get what you pay for". The $30 ones are Taiwan made, almost all new ones in this price range are, they're ok as long as you are nice to them.

skoda said:
It's the old "get what you pay for". The $30 ones are Taiwan made, almost all new ones in this price range are, they're ok as long as you are nice to them.

ive got a "taiwan" made (schwinn style lookalike), the chrome is usually the worst thing about em IMO but theyre fine for what they are, they cant take much abuse just due to the design in my opinion. no ramping or off roading allowed. but for cruisin and lookin cool theyll do.

P.S. Firewalker had some in the FREE TRADE thread. :wink:

I get my Springers from my local Speed Shop VELOCITY for 35 clams.
Probably made in a sweat shop,but they work for me so far...

can you shoot me a picture of the ones you bought? or are they like these?

27435%2026inch%20SpringerFork.jpg

thanks for the quick responses folks

Ahab said:
i wanna get a pair too, but in black.

Yeah, my plan is to rough up the chrome and then just spray some flat black over it-- the chrome is not the look I'm going for at all.

tip on painting over chrome.........
rough it up with 80 grit paper(until theres no shine left)
spray etching primer then wet sand with 500 grit
then shoot your color
these are fairly essential unless ya like flakey paint

yeah i made the mistake in spraying a chrome bmx bike in my younger days. did not work well at all.

Back