The Board Track Racer, Briggs powered---Video

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Board Track Racer, Briggs powered

Like murraymad said, I'm thinking the Tecumseh carb might be the way to go? Maybe one off a 3.5 or 4hp. Better yet, if you could find an old diaphram Tillotson off an old McColluch chainsaw.

Beau said:
Back to square one. Test the compression, set the points...blah blah blah. The joys of turning a 50's engine into a modern marvel.
I know what you mean, but it beats the **** out of any .... chinese "thing".
All your engine needs is to be loved :lol:
Keep rollin'

yeah, the stock carb won't run right setting at a lower level than the tank. my motor came mounted on a board and it was using a small square tank mounted below the carb. trust me, find you a tecumseh carb and try it before anything else, i think you will be quite please. :wink:

I have two Tecumseh 2-strokers. I'll keep an eye out. If you see one online like yours shoot me a link!

Thanks.

Almost done with the drag bike!

will do. you might check at a local lawnmower shop also. i will check on flea bay for you. :wink:

That doesn't look much different than the carbs on the 2-strokes I have. from what I read it's hard to get a 2-stroke carb to work on a 4 stroke.

Thanks for the link. Maybe I will make a quick manifold to mount one of those carbs.

Murraymadman- I found a Speedway Minibike with a Tecumseh for $50. :lol:
The engine is rough, but I pulled the carb. I welded up a new intake and was able to get the thing idling. Do you remember what settings you had on the two adjustment screws? I need something to go off of as a baseline. I just can't get the thing to rev high without cutting out.

Could it be that I'm over revving it when it cuts out?

Hey there.
I had a similar issue recently with the villiers, cutting out at full throttle. Turned out to be an excess of air being sucked in because I was runing it without the "lid" of the carbureator (I broke one of the brackets), wich in turn held the air filter. Once I got everything as original, it stopped cutting out.
Just my 2 cents.
Keep rollin'

Thanks. I do have a couple pin hole leaks in the manifold. I'll have to get that stuff sealed up then try again. I'm so close.

I rebuilt the Tecumseh carb today. I pulled, and pulled and pulled. Nothing. I cut the .... flange off and put the Bing back on. First pull and it started. I put tape over the carb intake and poked a few holes in. I was able to get the engine to run good, and once the hole was 1/4" it would actually rev up!

The clutch won't kick in quick and tends to slip a little until I build a bit of speed. I'm going to change the gear ratio a bit and things should be back on track.

Time to finish this thing.

no sorry, i don't remember where i had the adjustments set at. as far as the top end,screw on the bottom of the bowl, i would ride it down the road at top speed and screw it in until it started to bogg down and then back it out just to where she was smooth again.

The carb I have has a diaphram with a hole on the bottom of it.

It runs and rides now! After MANY different tests with different gear and pulling springs out of the clutch, I was able to get the .... thing going. It's no speed demon as Murraymadman has pointed out, but for cruising around motorcycle and car shows, it will be fine. This has been a long journey. Now to tear it down, finish the frame and get some paint on it.

Ugh. Finally have the tank sealed! What a pain.

I ended up just using the tank liner crap. Oh well. I swear I will have pictures of the progress next time! Everything I'm doing is boring.

Lookin forward to pics to see your progress.....

Back