The Board Track Racer, Briggs powered---Video

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The boardtrack- bobber-bicycle looking thing...

Yes, that is how to get rid of the magneto.

but then you need to have the motor charge the battery...

Today I started to cut the gaskets I needed since it has been a pain finding them. I ordered head gaskets online though.

I was also able to calculate my top speed. At full power (roughly 2800 rpm's) the bike will do right around 27 mph (on paper). I have an 8:1 ratio between the clutch and rear wheel. I want to say 3:1 is ideal but I'm not sure where I heard that. If I had a 3:1 it would be at 55 mph @2300 rpms. That would be fine, but I'm sure low end power and climbing would be terrible. I'm gonna try and see if I can adjust gears to get a better ratio.

I'd be scared to go 55mph on my bike. Suddenly I'm not so self assured of my building capacities :shock:
At that speed you can almost ad a flux capacitor to your build. GREAT SCOTT!

:lol:

OK, I have been working 10 hour days the past week and after the crazy snow storm, I didn't get a lot done.

The tank in now all welded up and it has about a dozen pinhole leaks that came about after I ground down the edges. I have been filling it all in with solder and I have to sand it smooth again. It works much better than JB Weld and avoids the need for tank sealant.

I also picked up 9 head gaskets for $15 shipped. So the engine is going back together this week. The head has been soaking in vinegar for 4 days to get rid of the corrosion and make it look a little nicer.

I might have pics later tonight.

I like the idea of solder for the tank! Lets see those pics tonight.

Man, I have been hand filing and sanding the tank this entire week. I will have more pics soon. There's just nothing special about the tank right now.

I found this site today and I guess the fuel filter I purchased ended up being a Briggs and Stratton filter! Kind of cool.

http://doodlebugsyrmw.com/prod02.htm

I started a pattern for the chain guard today as well.

Cool stuff.
That fuel filter resembles the glass cups that old late 19th and early 20th century stationary engines (National, Ruston, Hornsby-Stockport and many others) used to have for part lubrication. Really good looking.
I'm currently in charge of restoring a flour mill and we have a Hornsby Stockport from 1908 that has them.
This one is from a steam engine made in 1900 that we have in a gunpowder factory nearby.

Really cool goodies :D

Keep it up Beau, you've got yourself a really awsome machine and these kind of options give it a true vintage feel.

Today I was able to get the front dropouts made. The old ones where too low and really thin. They had to be beefed up with the big disk. I made them using a 3/8" drill bit, a hacksaw and a file. Boy was that fun. They are tacked on for now. As far as I can tell they are level and straight with a wheel in the drop. I'm gonna bring it to work and check it over again. I should have the dropouts and disk mounts finish welded next week. I need to drill a few holes to hide the brake cable too.

I'm having a really hard time getting the solder to flow into the tiny little pores on the gas tank. I'm gonna try a different type of solder next week. It works great as a skim coat though! More updates on that later.

IM000539.jpg

Re: The Board Track Racer, Briggs powered

My moped buddy gave me a carb to use so I can get rid of the old style Briggs carb. It's off a Puch I think and called a Bing. It's designed for a 1 hp engine. Hopefully it will work without and issues. I need to make a for it though since the stock intake tube is angled wrong. It also has a threaded fuel inlet so I can use the copper lines without any problems.

DSCI0077-7.jpg

I also soaked the head in vinegar to clean it up. After 4 days it came clean. I had to paint it right after to avoid flash rusting.

DSCI0074-9.jpg

Re: The Board Track Racer, Briggs powered

Vinegar is a great, non toxic way to remove rust. I'm really surprised more people don't use it.

Basically you just place the part in vinegar and wait until it's clean metal. It's usually safe on paint too.

This was done by a guy in MN. It was a new tank that had rust from sitting. After 3 days in a 5 gallon bucket of vinegar.

Before:
DSC06112.jpg

After-
DSC09517.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Back