The Board Track Racer, Briggs powered---Video

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The boardtrack- bobber-bicycle looking thing...

Gdcast said:
Nice! That thing is looking massive!
How about more pics?

I'll get some more tonight. I have the next few days off. So I hope to have the engine mounted and to start work on the jack shaft.

Beau said:
DSCI0070.jpg

DSCI0071.jpg

you just got my attention. definitely an idea to keep in the mental file. thanks.

Did a little work tonight.

This is ugly-

DSCI0076.jpg

So I took it off for now so I have room to adjust the engine-

DSCI0077.jpg

And since I only have bike tools and parts I did this-

DSCI0078.jpg

DSCI0079.jpg

DSCI0080.jpg

But now I have to move the pedals-

DSCI0083.jpg

And two final shots-

DSCI0081.jpg

DSCI0082.jpg

Today I got pillow bearings, a three foot 3/4" steel bar and some 3/4" (19mm) BMX bottom bracket parts.

I had some plate left over from another project and cut out a mount for the two pillow bearings. The pillow bearings hold a 3/4" shaft I cut down to 10". I got the bearing mount welded to the seat tube, so the jackshaft is now in. I need to buy one more pillow bearing tomorrow.
Since I hacked away my oil filler/check on the front of the motor, I needed to make a new one. I bought some brass pipe threaded on two ends, a 90* elbow and a brass cap. I also purchased a pipe thread tap so I can tap the block and put in a new filler/checker.

I also got my throttle lever welded on to the handlebar. I'm using an old Shimano 3-speed shifter flipped upside down and welded to the bar. It took some modifications to make it work. .

The shifter looked like this-

n500242851_1184112_6860.jpg

I have a lot of pictures. I will have to post them tomorrow.

Pictures from yesterday.

Here is the jackshaft mounting plate with one pillow bearing mounted. I made it with a cutoff wheel, drill and skate sharpener!

DSCI0075-1.jpg

The new oil check/fill

DSCI0076-1.jpg

Here's one of those "Hey Beau can you use this metal" moments. A piece of a store fixture happen to fit a euro BB quite well.

DSCI0074-1.jpg

DSCI0078-1.jpg

A trip to Fleet Farm (a.k.a. The Man's Mall) turned out to be really helpful.

I found collars that fit different size sheaves (pulley's) that had a 3/4" bore. I had to buy the collars and sheaves separate and will have to weld them together. The sheave slides on tightly to the collar too.

I stumbled upon 1/4" copper tubing in a 10' roll for a little over $5. It will fit 4mm or 5mm cable housing and I'm gonna use it to hide the throttle cable and brake cables.

I am jealous of you build. I have to ask, where did you find that motor? I have been scouring craigslist for that type of of thing for my current project but have come up short. Anyway good work I can't wait to see more.

Type in "reel mower" :wink:

I have the jack shaft mocked up now. I'm gonna need to gusset the mount a bit, but it should work good. I also need to shorten the jack shaft. Final word...It's not gonna pedal. I'm probably gonna have a tensioner pulley mounted on the chainstay too.

DSCI0079-1.jpg

DSCI0080-1.jpg

DSCI0081-1.jpg

And the throttle lever-

DSCI0082-1.jpg

DSCI0083-1.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock:
This is the first one I would really really like to ride.
I´m sure is gonna sound and look great.
Keep building!

Some of the old racers had a strap to hold the right pedal arm to the chain stay, since they didn't need to rotate.

I went to the steel yard today and picked up steel for the gas tank. I spent a good part of the night making a pattern and it's not the most fun thing I could be dong. I hope to have the pattern done tomorrow and the steel cut.

i was planning on doing this 8) jealous

Back