The Board Track Racer, Briggs powered---Video

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The boardtrack- bobber-bicycle looking thing...

I am curious what am I getting myself into because I am going to buy a reel mower today after work with a little horizontal shaft engine on it. It seems that they don't have any type of clutch so how do you work around this on a bike? Also I am assuming you have to add a flywheel since the reel on the mower acted as one?

No, there's a flywheel under the fan housing. But I think the fan look terrible. I'm gonna grind off all the fins on the fan. I'm leaving the stock ignition for now though.

My engine had a clutch on it. But beware, it's like a 3/8" shaft and the clutch is gonna be hard to come by if mine burns up. I'm actually looking for a 2h.p. or something with a 5/8" shaft. Clutches are available from Northern Tool for these.

The mowers are all out there! The Briggs 5s and 6s were made in the millions. The 6s will rev up a bit higher too. But they both weigh a lot.

I have not checked into it but I'm sure there are shims available.

I see so your afraid that wouldn't be strong enough?

I can't really tell from the photos but I don't think this is a Briggs engine

3k93m43p35O35Y45X1aba7e5c28e2d0fb13c1.jpg

3k73p73lc5V65Q05R4abad3052ff99977104c.jpg

the seller says it's a Craftsman but I can't find anything like it searching around on the web.

It's probably a Tecumseh. It also looks a little newer so it probably has a bigger shaft! If the price is right grab it! I paid $50 for my engine and the going price around here for a complete mower is around $75.

I'm picking it up tonight! Thanks for the inspiration. I really did not want to use one of those Chinese kits and it looks like I won't!

Cool!

I forgot to mention, the other option is to run a solid drive from the engine to the jack shaft and run the clutch on the jackshaft.

Those ugly fins on your flywheel are what cool the motor. If you grind them off , you may fry it.

he's right about the motor I would leave the cooling system alone unless you really know what your doing. I picked up that mower too. Motor runs a little rough but that will get worked out. As for the "clutch" I didn't realize it was just going to be a tensioner pulley that pushed on the drive belt...

Uncle Stretch said:
Those ugly fins on your flywheel are what cool the motor. If you grind them off , you may fry it.

Noooooo... :D

These engines were designed to sit in one place for long periods of time. It's purpose now is to move. Me riding it will be plenty to keep it cool. The link I posted a little ways back shows the same engine built as a flywheel and he claims he can run it for quite a while in warm weather, and all day in cool weather.

youtube builder said:
In cool weather at a slow idle the top of the head hovers right around 340*. The flywheels don't move any air, so when I'm running it in hot weather I keep a close eye on the temps, it needs to be shut down to cool sometimes. In cool weather it will run all day without any problems.

Here's the flywheel conversion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngvcykqd ... re=related

Motopecane said:
he's right about the motor I would leave the cooling system alone unless you really know what your doing. I picked up that mower too. Motor runs a little rough but that will get worked out. As for the "clutch" I didn't realize it was just going to be a tensioner pulley that pushed on the drive belt...

Mine has a centrifugal clutch on it. I don't want to have the tensioner style suicide lever. I'm just putting a pulley in so the belt will travel on top of the chainstay and not on the bottom. If your engine does not have the centrifugal clutch, that OK. You just run a fixed gear on the engine crankshaft that runs to a centrifugal clutch on the jackshaft. Then another fixed gear on the jackshaft to the rear wheel.

If you use #41 or KMC 415 chain you can buy all the sprockets, clutches and chains from farm supply stores.

I think I have a rough idea put together for a tank now. I spent this morning doing some different angles and came up with a pattern.

I'm gonna have to drive up to my garage and fire up the heater for the first time this year. The snow has fallen and it's a mess outside.

gasbiketank.jpg

Hey man.
Great job.
Take a peek at my engine (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32926). I'll start working on my motorized boardtracker as soon as I finish the Fat Man (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=32043).
By the way, you should rename the post to "boardtrack-bobber-bicycle-whizzer" :D
I'll keep an eye on this build.
Keep rollin'

The bottom panel is almost done.

IM000531.jpg

I won't be back in may garage until Thursday to do work on that.

I started some engine work today while at work though... :lol:

Also, here are a couple shots from last week of the pattern.

DSCI0074-2.jpg

DSCI0075-2.jpg

I tore down the engine and started to clean it up a bit. I cleaned up the aluminum crankcase and drilled/threaded a hole for the new oil filler/check.

I also sent the flywheel off to a machinist to have the fins removed and the flywheel balanced.

Since I'm removing the pull starter and fan, I had to shave down the ignition plate to clean it up a bit.

Here's what I did today with a hacksaw and file.

DSCI0076-2.jpg

After- Now it will fit behind the flywheel.

DSCI0077-2.jpg

I'll have more little updates throughout the week.

I have more vintage engines that what I could ever need or have a use for.
Lots like the one your using on your bike. Pretty common block style, used from the mid 30's up to the mid 50'. Wonderful engines to use.
I have a 1952 briggs 5s on a motorized bike I started to build. Never got around to finishing it but its in the garage right now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTLEpbazCSA (Video is from last year)

I like your design, Classic with a high tech twist :D

Ha! I'm pretty sure I have linked to that video already in this thread!

I'm really excited to know you are on here!

I hope this little engine will pull me, and wanted to ask if you ever rode yours?

Back