The Board Track Racer, Briggs powered---Video

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The boardtrack- bobber-bicycle looking thing...

Sorry for the reply on this post. I think Î'll get a centrifugal clutch for free on monday :) I´ll keep you guys updated. Thanks so much for all the help Beau and Motopecane.
Meanwhile Beau, when will we see your machine runnin'?

Here are a couple shots of the tank. I need to sand down the welds/brazing, get the front piece welded in, then check for leaks.

DSCI0078-4.jpg

DSCI0077-6.jpg

DSCI0074-7.jpg

so sick! this thing is coming so close to being complete!

stocksucks said:
Well done welding. Seems perfect.
Have you tested it yet?

No. I still have one piece to cut and weld in. I have been sanding down the edges and smoothing things out, then I can test it and check for leaks.

I'm working on making a site glass for the tank so I can see how much gas it in it. I work next to a smoke shop and they sell these little glass tube for smoking "tobacco". I'm gonna try and use one of those.

I got the flywheel back last night too. It didn't end up making it to the mill, but the fins are gone and I gave it a quick hand sanding. The machinist balanced it for me though.

Pics a little later.

Flywheel? Mill? I did'nt catch that... I ask because I work at a museum and currently I'm in charge of restoring an early 1920's flour mill..
How far apart is the tire from the seat post?
Keep it up.
Thanks a lot

Yeah, since this is a moving vehicle, I didn't feel that the fan and cover were needed. So I pulled the cover and had the fan blades removed from the flywheel (and balanced). It was suppose to be milled flat, but it didn't happen. Oh well. I scuffed it up a little and it should be fine. I can always have it done late on.

This is the flywheel now.

DSCI0074-8.jpg

And a pic of the tank after a lot of sanding and filing.

DSCI0076-7.jpg

so here is my question to you. On my engine the spark gets it's power from a small transformer that sits atop the fins of the fan. In between two fins is a magnet or weight I'm not sure. Anyway I'm pretty sure that it induces current every time that thing passes the transformer. How does you engine create current?

Same thing. The flywheel has two magnets. They power the Magneto (coil). There's a wire that runs from the magneto to the points (behind the flywheel) and also the plug wire that runs from the magneto to the coil.

Mine is right there!

DSCI0079-2.jpg

Hi.
I did the same, hoping that the moving air will cool down the engine.

Is it something like this?

I'll have to sand down and also maybe polish the rest on my fins, but I never really thought of that balance issue :oops:

Hey Beau, please tell me what is the distance between the rear wheel and the seat post.
I think I'm getting things wrong with my frame... Even though I took the measures from the plans I showed...

I think it's only like 3" or so.

I'll take a picture of it later for you so you can see what it looks like now. I would really like to make the engine not as wide by getting rid of the fins but I don't think i can do that and have it work properly.

Yeah you can. It's the same as mine. Otherwise you can lose the magneto, run a coil and use a small battery.

I guess your's sticks out though. That sucks. It will be tough. It also looks like it's steel. You could probably could find another flywheel with the same shaft and use that.

IMG_8994.jpg

yeah it is steel and really heavy... so how do you keep the magnet if all the fins are gone?

I'd take the flywheel off off and measure the shaft and diameter of the flywheel. You may be able to find another one from something else that has the magnet in the flywheel. Then you would have to move the magneto in further. But it looks like that might not be a problem. Check with a local small engine place.

cool I will look into that. I really appreciate all of your help.

Yep. That's a hard one. My magneto works inside the flywheel, so I shaved off the fins (We'll have to wait and see how clever that was :wink: )
Good luck with that Motopecane.
Hey Beau, I want to hear that engine! Hurry up :p

Beau said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngvcykqdC2Y

:p

Haha no we've already seen that! Just keep it up and I'm sure it will be going soon.

Back