the Devils Golden Fiddle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the bike and we are using the same tires, they ride great.

One thing (if I may) my eyes are distracted by the steer tube sticking up above the bottom of the bars with nothing there. I think what you did to mount the bars was really cool, but what if you cut a steel or aluminum plate that you could put on the top of the fork steer tube and hold it down with the top nut and have that piece go out like a brace to the bars to tie it all together? Just an idea.

thats a good idea. never thought of that. the bars arent as solid as i'd like and it'd solve my problem of it looking like its missing something up top. may have to try that. thanks

biker_km said:
by request heres my 57 dodge
S4022701.jpg

I'm building a bike the just happens to be in the same paint scheme as your truck! :D Using Duplicolor green Metal Specks as the primary finish on the frame and adding black accents.

Your build bike looks great. I really dig the stripe on the tires.

Dude, this is looking cool, really like those tires w/black rims (I'm a sucker for black rims though :wink: )

Good idea from yoothgeye, how about installing a road stem in the fork tube (you know something long and low) and attaching your headlight to it? Granted, it wouldn't do much as far as firming up your handlebars, :idea: WAIT,what if you ran a straight MTB bar through it and welded/attached it to you apes, then you could mount a pair of lights to the MTB bar!...hmmmm :roll:
Hope that makes sense....

As far as 'stepping it up' next year, your vision on the front end of this custom, puts you there already, IMHO.

I'm sure whatever you decide will be great, you've brought it this far, right?

Build on brother!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Good idea from yoothgeye, how about installing a road stem in the fork tube (you know something long and low) and attaching your headlight to it?

If you read back on the first page you'll see his bars are mounted this way because he can't get a stem into the steer tube. Here's what I proposed, a very simple design, but this could easily be cut differently into a decorative piece.

plate.jpg

i decided to go with my original idea and mount an old miller head/tail lamp. i think it helped out the front end alot, and to keep it all clean i ran the wires through the frame.
the spike on top of the steering tube is a plastic cap off my wifes hair spray bottle. it was clear so i painted the inside black and jammed it down over the nut.
0052.jpg

0033.jpg

0043.jpg

0062.jpg

0072.jpg

Cool...
Good thinking on the bottlecap. Another idea: A cutdown cad taillight lense would make it a funky policebike I think... But this black one looks ba-dass.
The Bendix lightbracket made me chuckle. All these cool little details make this bike stand out above the most of ours...
Nice job.
8)

Yeahyeah I like this one. Some pretty clever ideas going on here. Much more creative than the "bolt old parts together" approach!

Nice bike. Way to go. Keep it up. I love those bars. Peace

I like the handle bar placement but it feels like the head light should be at the top of the head tube. It's placement now is a little to traditional.

when i first started i considered mounting it to the top of the head tube, but it looked goofy. mounting it lower gave it a more aggressive and lowered look.

nice on the lace paint tank plate i was playing around with the idea of doing panel paint on mine too. neat bar setup

the cheap plastic cone on top of the head tube just looked to... cheap. so i made this "hood" ornament out of a coulpe stir sticks. still need to stain it
0023.jpg

0013.jpg

Back