The Heat.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is everyone coping with this heat? I'm still not able to do too far of a ride because of my back, (and being a fat boy), but I try to get on the bike every day for a mile or two. This week though, it's only been night time riding. My Cruiser is missing me, because my 'commuter" bike has all of the lights on it. lol.

Don't talk about it, thermometer said 105 today, im afraid to look at it anymore. Still riding but @ 8:00 instead of whenever.

96 outside, and 88 inside. but since we put a new window in our garage, its alot cooler in there. also my room is pretty cool. riding in the heat doesnt bother me either anymore. but stay hydrated!!

We're in the center of the middle of the worst of it. 99 right now, 80% humidity. Car said 110 as I drove a while ago. Been working outside in it all week on a DIY house project. Went into Lowes this afternoon and couldn't figure out why I was suddenly starting to feel sick, nausea. Then I realized it must've been about 72 in there, duh.

96 and humid here today. It was the first day all week I didn't get some riding in. Nobody was out on the streets.
They're talking over 100 degrees here in NYC tomorrow. I'll get up early and get a few miles in,hopefully. :|

KJV said:
been riding the "GOODYEAR" stationary in front of the window unit a/c. :!:
HAHAH, like that idea! I need to get one of those trainer things so I can bring one of my bikes indoors and ride when the weather is not great. Need to lose some chub!

It was about 65 here today, yesterday was nice and sunny in the mid 70's (it was too hot, but I can't complain compared to you guys). Last week it rained 3 days in a row and didn't get above 68. :roll:

Lets see..98 and humid yesterday and somewhat the same today :wink: Today is an indoor day :|

subadrew said:
92 here right now. Been riding everyday. We don't get much humidity tho so I guess that makes it easier.
My son has been up in Denver all this past week w/ our church doing a mission trip. He's loving the cool weather there! He took a fleece vest and said he's worn it most nights. :wink:

Feel kinda bad watching the news, here in San Diego we're having another cooler than normal summer after last year which broke 100 year record lows. Ocean temps are abnormally cool as well, though once again not as cool as last year, which pretty much ruined fishing and lobster seasons.

StepChld said:
subadrew said:
92 here right now. Been riding everyday. We don't get much humidity tho so I guess that makes it easier.
My son has been up in Denver all this past week w/ our church doing a mission trip. He's loving the cool weather there! He took a fleece vest and said he's worn it most nights. :wink:

Gee, when I did a mission trip they sent me to a third world country....
When I was in Colorado last month I woke up to frost inside my tent, of course that was at 12k ft.

Crazy here in Texas.
In May we had early really hot weather, with stupid crazy strong winds.
It just progressively got hotter until we have around 100F+, 80F+ lows, every day with no rain in sight.
Texas is about 95% in an official drought rivaling the worst in the recorded past for the state.
Everywhere you go "Extreme Fire Danger" is posted, and there have been some very large destructive fires all over the state.

Right now we are still under that High Pressure area, but we are kind of on the southern edge of it.
Luckily with the drought, our humidity is fairly low, and not being in the middle of that dome, not getting the worst high temps.

I really feel for you guys in the middle of that high pressure area, with the recent flooding.
The humidity must be just oppressive as you approach 100F.

Here, at least A/C is considered mandatory, not an option if you can at all afford it.
So it means we are mostly prepared, except for the very poor. (another subject all together).
We just watch our electricity bill soar, with little we can do about it!

Sheryl and I are going out on our bikes tomorrow morning, planning to be riding by 7, and back in the car A/C by 9:30am.
It will be about 80F+ starting out, but not so bad.

Stay cool guys!

:? The weather is all over the place in the past few years. We don't get much rain here in the high desert when you compare us to many other states but this is getting scary. First rain in Albuquerque for maybe six mounths and that only lasted ten minutes. Most here use swamp coolers for cooling our homes but if the temps climb above 90 their worthless. I'm going to Austin Tx. in sept, for the A.C.L. I hope the heat wave gives before then :roll:

big al,

from many years experience dove hunting, we usually get a break the 2nd or 3rd week of Sept, here in north Texas. Then, It goes back to being hot for one or 2 more weeks and then the gradual slip into Fall.

Don't know about Austin, they are probably behind us on the calendar for these changes.

Basically we need a good hurricane to blow some other folks into trouble to make any drastic change in our weather, not that I want to see that happen to them, you understand.

Have a great time at ACL. Who is on your schedule?

My shaded patio says 98.5 right now, and the sun is not quite past straight up yet. Yesterday at a kid b-day party it 88 in the pool. but at least is is mostly dry and breezy here. Still looking for some rain.

Latest posts

Back