The King of Cowley County has left the building.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Dead Man's Hand is going to arise from this '49 Monark. I worked threw a couple layers of paint to see what was hiding. Red and white original, dark blue house paint, and a top coat of black rattle can.
92a82298.jpg

At some point in it's life someone ran into something HARD! The seat tube was was yanked out of the bottom bracket when the frame was tweeked. The forks really took a blow.
8e7ccf6a.jpg

A Komet Super rear hub will be rebuilt and rejoin it's drop center rims. The wheels will be wrapped with some Goodyear Speedway tires down the road.
e1963d18.jpg

2c15cac9.jpg

Paint stripper, primer, and clear have been purchased. Just gotta find the right color to go in the middle.

Re: Dead Man's Hand

Started the day stripping off layers of old paint.
5b09c21f.jpg

Here's where we are sitting now. The paint is mostly stripped, and I think I might like it this way. My bikes usually tell me what color paint to buy as the build progresses, so we will see what he says.
dfefddac.jpg

d962131b.jpg

I picked this up today and I have it on good authority that a 26" wheel will fit in the forks...
3b1aac1d.jpg

Might even leave the triple tree plates pink to keep Karfer happy. :wink:

I spent the last two and a half hours hand sanding the remaining original paint on the frame to try and get it smoothed out between the layers. I got from the head tube to the seat tube done tonight. I then decided that I was tired after being up for 20 hours today and called it a night. I think tomorrow I will try to find someone who will media blast the frame all the way down for me. Sanding by hand is starting to cramp my hands. I will have some more pics up tomorrow.

no rest for the wicked, and idol hands are the devils playground. no need for sleep my friend. :)
can't wait to see what inspired the name

haha you guys are crazy. :lol:

why are ya'll sanding? One can of aircraft remover found at wal-mart for 10 bux will wrinkle that paint up and you just spray it off with a hose. 15 min tops and you got a bare metal frame.

aka_locojoe said:
I was mostly serious with my question. He works nights and is on here or finding/building bicycles by day.

so thats why he's listening when the bikes talk to him :lol: if i dont get at least 6 straight hrs of sleep, im worthless

I have used a can and a half of aircraft stripper on the frame. I took off the spray paint and house paint but the original paint just laughed. I started to think it was some kind of alien technology colored steel.

I have the frame prepped for paint. I was going to prime the frame tonight but weather had other plans for me.
The primer will go on tomorrow morning if the rain stops.

Randy- I didn't have to work this weekend so I was able to get a good start on my build. Yesterday I would work on the bike for a bit then load the truck to run to dump a load and bring some bikes back, then repeat the process over and over.

Today I worked on fitting the forks from the little stingray and got the wheels spinning on the leaf spring springer to attach to it.
The bike also decided on the colors it wanted- it likes my new shoes.
007fcbf2.jpg

Here is the frame now.
e9fc17b2.jpg

aka_locojoe said:
I was mostly serious with my question. He works nights and is on here or finding/building bicycles by day.

I am on here a lot because of my awesome phone. I have full internet access and can check posts, update my threads and keep tabs on the competition from anywhere.

As far as sleep goes- 3-4 hours a night is all I get. Most mornings I am able to get into the garage around 8 in the morning and work uninterupted until I have to get ready for work around 2. It works ok for 4 or 5 days until the lack of sleep catches up to me. I didn't crawl out of bed until the crack of noon.

udallcustombikes said:
I am on here a lot because of my awesome phone. I have full internet access and can check posts, update my threads and keep tabs on the competition from anywhere.

Lol I gotta get one of those phones. As far as keeping tabs on the competition... I wont post the good stuff till later, but I gots plans, the vision is slowly coming to me, and it looks good :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back