Tweed Rides and Seersucker Rides

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously??? Did you have the only rat rod bike there? That's just wrong! :20:

There just isn't much in the way of custom or rat bikes in Savannah that I have found.

This year's Philadelphia Tweed Ride promises to be a great time. We have a lot of really cool prizes lined up for this year's raffles and all of the money we raise is going to benefit The Neighborhood Bike Works. Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or if you need more information. Hopefully we'll some RRB's at the ride. Registration is at 11:00am at the Waterworks and it's free to ride.

Coincidence ,my work in progress is a '70 Raleigh Sports 3 speed all original. I picked up this used bike for my first Tweed Ride.Thanks to new member Jinks Hill for this info http://phillytweed.wordpress.com

@clamdigger So, you'll be making it to this years ride? Awesome! I'm jealous that you got your mitts on a Raleigh Sport. I've been on the lookout for a long time. Can't seem to find a Raleigh 3 speed with a coaster brake in a gentleman's frame. Found a few ladies' frames though.

@clamdigger So, you'll be making it to this years ride? Awesome! I'm jealous that you got your mitts on a Raleigh Sport. I've been on the lookout for a long time. Can't seem to find a Raleigh 3 speed with a coaster brake in a gentleman's frame. Found a few ladies' frames though.

Put an APB out for one at VIA. Curtis'll find you one.... but don't expect it to be cheap. :grin:

Put an APB out for one at VIA. Curtis'll find you one.... but don't expect it to be cheap. :grin:
@Bicycle808 No way! He's a nice guy and I do go to him for parts. But whole bikes? His bikes are for folks who can't build em themselves. I do appreciate what he does and there are very few guys that do what he does. But I'm gonna wait it out and pay the price I'm wanna pay.

Drat, having trouble with pictures

@Bicycle808 No way! He's a nice guy and I do go to him for parts. But whole bikes? His bikes are for folks who can't build em themselves. I do appreciate what he does and there are very few guys that do what he does. But I'm gonna wait it out and pay the price I'm wanna pay.

I remember when Brit 3speeds were basically free, throwaway bikes. Now, it seems they're forever getting more beat-up and more expensive on CL. I don't even know what they're getting for "Sports"-type bikes at VIA these days, but if I ever go Brit again, I'll likely go to Curtis regardless....mostly b/c he'll have a selection of ready-to-ride bikes under one roof. The convenience of 1 stop shopping. I'm not so into driving around to check out CL bikes that much anymore....

But I hear ya; the prices are kinda high there, especially on completes. But that's what comes with a brick'n'mortar business, I guess...

What I like about Tweed Rides is that they are about having fun and not for profit. In the last 20 years it seems organized bike rides are only about collecting money for some cause. So too many rides sneer at the clothes you wear (non-spandex) or the bike you ride (non-$5K carbon fiber frame) and let you know about it in no uncertain terms. I found the following in the info for the Columbus Ohio Tweed Ride.....

If you think tweed rides are silly and just want to ride and chat with the good people in the "Cycling Friends" group, that's fine too. Everyone is welcome regardless of your attire.

This is what bicycling used to be about.............

That was the shot, thanks. I was trying to show off the outfit that won me "Best Dressed" at this year's Victoria Tweed Ride. Just felt like bragging.

What I like about Tweed Rides is that they are about having fun and not for profit. In the last 20 years it seems organized bike rides are only about collecting money for some cause. So too many rides sneer at the clothes you wear (non-spandex) or the bike you ride (non-$5K carbon fiber frame) and let you know about it in no uncertain terms. I found the following in the info for the Columbus Ohio Tweed Ride.....

This is what bicycling used to be about.............

I hear you about the snobbery and herd mentality that runs rampant in too many rides and among too many riders; totally agree, and it kinda sucks. But, as far as
organized bike rides...only about collecting money for some cause
, that describes fund-raising for a non-profit charity. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that-- if it gets ppl riding, and it raises money that helps fight cancer or MS or hunger, or it goes to support homeless ppl or disabled ppl, that's a win/win. TBH, I've never seen the connection between cycling and fundraising, but it's been working for as long as I've been riding, so I don't question it too much.

I've been doing more riding with groups, semi-organized & small scale. That's been a lot of fun so far. Just rec rides at a semi-relaxed pace... and a few emails sent out to get it "organized". Pretty good.

I'm not against raising money for good causes using bicycle rides as the instrument. It's just that this is not the only reason to have a bike ride. Thirty years ago I created the "Delaware Doublecross", a ride in which one could cross a genuine U.S. State not once but twice. The narrowest part of Delaware is only 12 miles wide and the ride bracketed that in 28 miles. I ran the ride for the first 3 years and the White Clay Bike Club has continued it. The ride now has a second loop to make it a Metric Century if you care to do it. In recent years 400 to 500 people go on the ride. For a mere $15 you get road markings, maps, a small gift (water bottle, map holder, etc), and 2 killer rest stops full of home made goodies as well as gorp, bananas, and water. Many people come back year after year to ride and meet up with the other riders. This is my idea of a fun social ride.

I went totally opposite of the Seersucker or Tweed look when we heald our annual Midnight Garden Ride through Savannah with about 500+ other bikes. How do you like my Heat Miser flames?
1508 (4).jpg

Well I'll be. Just recently discovered I have a name brand Seersucker shirt. I bought it second hand at a thrift store this year, it looks hardly worn. Church is about the only time I ever wear it. Likely the only clothing item I've ever owned made in Ukraine.

005.JPG

006.JPG

Back