weight ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys weigh your bike? Sounds like a dumb ? but im almost tempted to ride up the street to my post office and use their shipping scale. Thought i would ask to see how anyone else has found an easy way to weigh.

Okay, it was suggested and i was going to make another thread on the weight of everyones bike but i dont see the need so i just edited my first post that started this thread.

Who has the LIGHTEST and who has the HEAVIEST!

Post pics of the bike on what ever means of weighing you decide and post the weight. Should be interesting to see what bikes weigh what.

Fail on me, no pics of the bike on the scale but this mongoose deception weighed in at 37lbs in stock form.
2012-05-06_13-25-52_80.jpg

k, your turn....

Bloodyknuckles said:
Stand it on the back wheel on a scale. If it has a rear fender, stand on scale holding bike, then subtract your weight.

i've done the first, and think it was acurate enough for government work. if it's a bike you've been experimenting with, and/or adding accessories to, you may not want to know, though.

“Weight is the enemy!” – Ettore Arco Isidoro Bugatti

“More weight is important only on a steamroller.” – Carroll Shelby

I've got a inexpensive luggage scale that I bought on Amazon. It weighs up to around 80 lbs. I just wrap a small length of paracord around the top tube near the center of weight and lift. I'm sure it's not super accurate but if I'm within a half pound or so I'm happy.

i pick it up and depending on how it feels i lump it into three categories

- pretty heavy
- bout average
- feels lighter than my other bike

:lol:

I just use mine to take a load into the scrapyard. I know my bike trailer weighs in at 22lbs and I weigh in at ***lbs.

HA! CCR, so does that mean, "aw, it feels lighter now" comes somewhere in between those?
I think im just gonna ride my one 29er up the street to the post office or pick up a scale at wally world. then ill measure new and/or modified parts as i replace stuff. should be accurate to a lil bit. Just kills me how heavy this turd is! lol

the way I see it is, the heavier the bike, the fewer miles I have to ride to get the same amount of exercise as the guy that rides those light weight bikes.
Example, my Alumasled (8 1/2 foot long aluminum honeycomb composite homebuilt bike) weight is about 60 pounds, so I believe, I can ride 5 miles and get the same health benefit as the guy on the 15 pound road bike that rides 20 miles.

dangratsdan said:
the way I see it is, the heavier the bike, the fewer miles I have to ride to get the same amount of exercise as the guy that rides those light weight bikes.
Example, my Alumasled (8 1/2 foot long aluminum honeycomb composite homebuilt bike) weight is about 60 pounds, so I believe, I can ride 5 miles and get the same health benefit as the guy on the 15 pound road bike that rides 20 miles.

Gee,do I feel stupid. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last week I did a 65-mile cruise on my 100 pound stretcher. I get the feeling that it was totally unnecessary. :roll: :wink:

There's a grain of truth there, but it's not quite that simple. Spinning at the same rate and pedal pressure over the same period of time would produce equal effect. Different rates and pressures produce a different affect, much like jogging with weights vs. wind sprints.

Some of you guys crack me up with your responses when rereading this forum! lol
K i just got back from riding the back down the street to my post office. i tried a few different weighing methods... upside down on the seat and bars, standing upright on the rear wheel while holding the brake, and then me while holding the bike.
The most accurate i came up with was standing it upright while on the back wheel. BUT you need to rotate the back back n forth in order to reference the max, or peak weight, if the bike isnt in the correct position not all of the weight will be over "center".
When i weight the bike while holding it as i stood on the stand it only registered about 22lbs heavier then me, so not 22lbs! i would love it if it was.
So! The bike is deffinetly going on a diet, this pig weighs in at 37lbs! UGH.........
Ill keep posting to this thread for the bike diet when i really get going on it.
8)

DaBigKahuna said:
I've got a inexpensive luggage scale that I bought on Amazon. It weighs up to around 80 lbs. I just wrap a small length of paracord around the top tube near the center of weight and lift. I'm sure it's not super accurate but if I'm within a half pound or so I'm happy.

like this guy... only I bought mine on Ebay for very little money. It works well. Has Kg's or Lb's

6343582959_c5ef64f51a_b.jpg

oh wow! lol im gonna go find of those i think. very handy looking scale, okay now im curious to see what the bike weighs vs what i did today at the post office.
thanks 8)

we should start a weight thread - see who on RRB has the lightest and heaviest bike.

HaHa! i agree, my fat tire cruiser also has some good weight to it. hmmm, since im the one on a weight kick with one of my bikes i think ill start it on this thread. ill just edit my first opening post so that another thread isnt flooding the site.

AND.............GO!
8)

Back